Options

Special K - a very short lesson

Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
edited April 30, 2007 in People
Ice Hockey - Pee Wee - Liverpool Saints vs. Central Coast Cyclones
Any one who has ever photographed an ice hockey game will be familiar with the fact that rinks despite all the white ice are quite dark. I photograph my son’s games and spend endless hours correcting the colours of each photo. The light in most rinks we attend tends to require Colour Temperature adjustment to about 3300K. I decided to be adventurous with my camera today and instead of using Automatic White Balance I’ve dialed the 3300K temperature. This proved to be spot on. All photos turned our with correct colours.

The short lesson from this story: if you photograph at a venue that gives you constant trouble with colour and that constant is definable, like in this case temperature adjustment it is worth taking notes about this adjustment and use them directly as camera parameters at that venue.
PS: Cyclones lost to Saints 1:6

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Ice Hockey - Pee Wee - Liverpool Saints vs. Central Coast Cyclones

Any one who has ever photographed an ice hockey game will be familiar with the fact that rinks despite all the white ice are quite dark. I photograph my son’s games and spend endless hours correcting the colours of each photo. The light in most rinks we attend tends to require Colour Temperature adjustment to about 3300K. I decided to be adventurous with my camera today and instead of using Automatic White Balance I’ve dialed the 3300K temperature. This proved to be spot on. All photos turned our with correct colours.

The short lesson from this story: if you photograph at a venue that gives you constant trouble with colour and that constant is definable, like in this case temperature adjustment it is worth taking notes about this adjustment and use them directly as camera parameters at that venue.
    PS: Cyclones lost to Saints 1:6

Least you were there to capture your sons game :D
    Nice job on the ice skating image thumb.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    I'm glad to hear that you ventured outside your comfort zone! I can never get decent hockey shots by using the auto-white balance.
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    ok, wow, this had nothing to do with what I know Special K to be:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketamine