Exporting Lightroom images with keywords?

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited May 1, 2007 in Finishing School
I asked this in a round-about way earlier, but here's the starightforward question...

Can I export an image from Lightroom and have the new file contain it's Lightroom keywords?

I have found all kinds of info on exporting so you can have sync'ed Lightroom libraries on 2 machines, but that's not what I want.

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    Since I couldn't find any answers in my searches I just bit the bullet and uploaded 300+ images to Smugmug and resigned myself to re-doing all the keywords. But lo and behold, they were all there! wings.gif

After exporting from Lightroom I looked at the jpegs with 2 different programs and both of them showed empty keyword fields. But apparently they were there after all! Man that saved me a ton of time, and now all my keyword galleries will work properly. thumb.gif
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    I wonder if it's because LR is an Adboe app & Adobe gets hives thinking about writing metadata anywhere other than XMP blocks, while many other apps still use the "old" "obsolete" IIM IPTC data blocks and are unaware of XMP. headscratch.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    I wonder if it's because LR is an Adboe app & Adobe gets hives thinking about writing metadata anywhere other than XMP blocks, while many other apps still use the "old" "obsolete" IIM IPTC data blocks and are unaware of XMP. headscratch.gif

I presumed that it was because of XMP also. It seems that the first tier of apps (Photoshop, DAM programs, Smugmug, etc...) have all mostly started to understand XMP, but there are still many second tier apps that don't yet read XMP.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Can you post some of the links about two libraries being linked? I just got a laptop for going out on shoots and would like to work on the photos there and then syncing up the two libraries - or export all the info from oneand importing into another - but wasn't sure what to look for!

Thanks!
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Can I export an image from Lightroom and have the new file contain it's Lightroom keywords?
    When I upload Lightroom exports into SmugMug, the keywords arrive up there with them. thumb.gif
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Can you post some of the links about two libraries being linked? I just got a laptop for going out on shoots and would like to work on the photos there and then syncing up the two libraries - or export all the info from oneand importing into another - but wasn't sure what to look for!

Thanks!
    I'm not sure you can do it, I just saw lots of google hits when I was looking around. This page seems to suggest that it can't be done easily -
    Since Lightroom 1.0 was stripped of “Photo Binders” and there’s no easy way to sync a laptop to a main workstation, users need to think things through. Yes, the lack of any ability to synchronize between computers is a major shortcoming and one that I find personally galling because this critical functionality was repeatedly promised but has failed to materialize for version 1.0. So we’ll just have to wait for a later version to make this possible (we’ve been promised again and, personally, I believe them). So if you need to be able to move images and libraries around between computers, you should dedicate an external hard drive for both your images as well as the location where your Lightroom database will live.
    There's more info in the article.