Simple vignette in Photoshop?

Barefoot and NaturalBarefoot and Natural Registered Users Posts: 586 Major grins
edited May 1, 2007 in Finishing School
Hi there,
I am trying to find a thread that someone had posted about how to do a simple vignette in Photoshop. I thought I had the thread saved, bbut now I can't find it. I did a search but can't find it, and i think it was in the "people" forum, but once again.....I AM LOST!! Help please!!!

Thanks,
Heather

Comments

• digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Here's a simple Vignette method. Hopefully you can follow this without sample images. It's pretty straight forward, should take about a minute:

1. Open your file in Photoshop and create a new blank layer above the background. (Ctrl-N on PC)

2. Click on this layer and fill this blank layer with either black or white (black for a burnt edge look or white for a soft white look) by first clicking on your default foreground or background color and hitting Alt-Backspace. You can also do this by using Edit->Fill from the menus.

3. Your screen is now either all white or all black. Don't worry!!! Use a selection tool of your choice, such as the rectangular marquee, eliptical marquee, etc and drag yourself a basic framed area.

4. Select Layer->Layer Mask->Hide Selection. You should now have a colored border.

5. Click on the Layer Mask thumbnail (should be black and the shape of your vignette and select Fliter->Blur->Guassian Blur. Blur the vignette edge to taste.

you're done!

Hope this helps!
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 1, 2007
    Heather,

Here is how I do a vingette.

Make a selection with the Marquis Tool in the elliptical mode or the rectangular mode if you prefer. Feather the edge of the selection to 250 pixels by clicking Select, Modify, Feather and enter 250 for a pixel amount. Invert your selection by clicking Select > Inverse.

Now you have the edges of the image selected, with a gradual fading to the central part of the image with a soft border.

You can now use the Gradient command as a Radial Gradient, or easier, is the Brightness/Contrast command in the Layers palette - you will find this by clicking the black and white circle at the bottom of the Layers palete which brinngs up a dialogue box where you can click on Brightness/Contrast. You can just adjust the Brightness, Darken sliders to taste. Hit ctrl-D to deselect your selection.

If you have chosen to do this on an Adjustment Layer you can then further refine the amount by suing the Layer Palette Opacity slider to taste.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin