replacing mirror?

rosselliotrosselliot Registered Users Posts: 702 Major grins
edited April 29, 2007 in Cameras
so...don't ask me how it happened, but the mirror in my camera is a little different now. hahaha. it looks REALLY bad when you look at it right on, like without a lens, but through the viewfinder, I was surprised that I actually couldn't tell a difference! either way, even though it obviously doesn't affect the picture quality, I am planning on selling this camera this summer and upgrading to the 5D and I want to make sure the person who buys it gets everything in perfect order, because I've taken such good care of this camera and treat it like porcelain, I wanted to kick myself when I brushed the mirror!!!! ugh...

so does anyone know where I can buy a mirror, how to replace it, or where I can get it replaced?

- RE
www.rossfrazier.com
www.rossfrazier.com/blog

My Equipment:
Canon EOS 5D w/ battery grip
Backup Canon EOS 30D | Canon 28 f/1.8 | Canon 24 f/1.4L Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Sigma 50mm f/2.8 EX DI Macro | Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L | Canon 580 EX II Flash and Canon 550 EX Flash
Apple MacBook Pro with dual 24" monitors
Domke F-802 bag and a Shootsac by Jessica Claire
Infiniti QX4

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited April 29, 2007
    As you learned, Ross, the mirror is a front surface mirror ( the silver coating is on the surface facing you as you look at the mirror ) and very easily scratched. If you cannot see it though the viewfinder I would be tempted to ignore it. I wonder if the mirror is really scratched or merely has an oily residue across it surface. Either way, do not attempt to clean it again. (I use front surface mirrors in my work and for 30 years have treated them with nothing but a puff of air.)

I am not aware of any repairs other than mirror replacement by Canon Factory Service and I suspect this is not a warrantied service unless you can prove it was not due to trauma eg: attempted cleaning. I will be interested to hear from someone else with this problem.

Sorry for your misfortune (and the educational experience).
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin