Odd results of my upload, one quarter missing or distorted

MacLoyalMacLoyal Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited August 8, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I tried doing a search for this, but I couldn't come up with a way to describe it that garnered any results.

Thankfully, this only affected 7 photos that I added to a gallery. Boy was I surprised when I looked at them.

I will delete and replace them. I'm just curious about the gremlin that altered my photos. Have you seen this before?

The color and quality of this uploaded photo is way off the original too.
macloyal.smugmug.com

Comments

• MacLoyalMacLoyal Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    Wow, that attachment is larger than I expected it to be. I'm also surprised with my first use of your attachment tool that I'm only able to upload one image in a post. I suppose you want photos posted where they belong and not in threads, but I want to put one more up because it's comical. The other misfires had a quarter of the photo missing, just a white panel.
    macloyal.smugmug.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2007
    MacLoyal wrote:
    Wow, that attachment is larger than I expected it to be. I'm also surprised with my first use of your attachment tool that I'm only able to upload one image in a post. I suppose you want photos posted where they belong and not in threads, but I want to put one more up because it's comical. The other misfires had a quarter of the photo missing, just a white panel.
    You can link as many images as you like, from your SmugMug site - but you can only attach one per post :)

Make sense?
    edited April 29, 2007
    MacLoyal wrote:
    I tried doing a search for this, but I couldn't come up with a way to describe it that garnered any results.

Thankfully, this only affected 7 photos that I added to a gallery. Boy was I surprised when I looked at them.

I will delete and replace them. I'm just curious about the gremlin that altered my photos. Have you seen this before?

The color and quality of this uploaded photo is way off the original too.
    1) how did you upload it
    2) can I see the link to the file on your site please (don't replace it or delete it yet)

Thanks
    edited April 30, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    1) how did you upload it
    2) can I see the link to the file on your site please (don't replace it or delete it yet)

Thanks

Sorry, they're gone. It wasn't a major problem, more a curiosity. It didn't occur to me that you'd want to see them in the site. It was just a normal upload, except it's the smallest number I've sent - 7 photos. I'll let you know if it ever happens again and I'll leave them for you to investigate.

I knew I was going to delete them so I didn't want to link to them, that's why I attached them. It makes sense that you'd rather have people link to their sites. Does that work if you've got a password on your site?
    macloyal.smugmug.com
    edited April 30, 2007
    MacLoyal wrote:
    Does that work if you've got a password on your site?
    Sure, just make sure you have external links enabled for the gallery in question. It's a gallery customization option.
    edited April 30, 2007
    Thanks for the tidbit about external links enabled for the gallery. I don't post on eBay and couldn't think of any other time I'd want to link to them so I've disabled them thus far. This gives me an example for when I might actually use that function.

Someday I may understand all of the options on the customize gallery page. Many are straight forward, but a few seem cryptic or not relative to me.
    macloyal.smugmug.com
    edited April 30, 2007
    MacLoyal wrote:
    Thanks for the tidbit about external links enabled for the gallery. I don't post on eBay and couldn't think of any other time I'd want to link to them so I've disabled them thus far. This gives me an example for when I might actually use that function.

Someday I may understand all of the options on the customize gallery page. Many are straight forward, but a few seem cryptic or not relative to me.
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/picture-storage to the rescue!
    edited June 10, 2007
    It's happened again
    I posted a few pictures to an existing gallery, using the same method I've used all along, and I have a crop of crazy photos again. I'm exporting with the SM tool for sending straight from Aperture.

Oops, I thought it would attach a copy of the photo when I put the URL in the Manage Attachments tool and hit upload, but it didn't work. I have it set to allow external links in the Customize Gallery section. I don't know what I did wrong there. Maybe you can get there with this method.

http://macloyal.smugmug.com/gallery/2943233#161377409-L-LB

There should be two dogs in this photo. I have no clue where the red and orange came from.
    macloyal.smugmug.com
    edited June 10, 2007
    MacLoyal wrote:
    I posted a few pictures to an existing gallery, using the same method I've used all along, and I have a crop of crazy photos again. I'm exporting with the SM tool for sending straight from Aperture.

Oops, I thought it would attach a copy of the photo when I put the URL in the Manage Attachments tool and hit upload, but it didn't work. I have it set to allow external links in the Customize Gallery section. I don't know what I did wrong there. Maybe you can get there with this method.

http://macloyal.smugmug.com/gallery/2943233#161377409-L-LB

There should be two dogs in this photo. I have no clue where the red and orange came from.
    Could be an Aperture2SmugMug Plugin bug, can you please post in the hacks forum, Aperture plug in thread, so the developer (he's not with SmugMug) can see?

Try uploading that same file with the SmugMug uploader and let us know, okay? Thanks.
    edited June 11, 2007
    It's still not right
    Thanks, Andy. I cross posted and hope I explained it well enough. I included a link back to this thread.

I used the Smuggy drag and drop method on one of the photos and it didn't come out right either.

http://macloyal.smugmug.com/gallery/2943233#161602791

That's the same photo as the one with the orange and red quarter patch.
    macloyal.smugmug.com
    edited July 7, 2007
    URGH, once again they are distorted
    It's happened again. 11 out of 31 photos I just posted did not upload correctly. Half panels are missing, or dim, three are blank, one is DARK, and one is stretched. No one responded the last time I complained of this problem after I cross posted as instructed. I finally just resent the corrupted and distorted photos. What is causing this and why does it keep happening? Is anyone else reporting such oddities?headscratch.gif

I tried uploading the URL to a couple of samples and it did not work.:help

OK, I used attachments since I couldn't get the URL to work. I put one from this batch of bad uploads in my previous post too. That's more of what's happened before. The one below is stretched and it's a photo I didn't crop. The girl in front is as thin as a rail.
    macloyal.smugmug.com
    edited July 7, 2007
    The stretched photo above is only half the photo. Here's what it should look like.
    macloyal.smugmug.com
    edited July 7, 2007
    MacLoyal wrote:
    The stretched photo above is only half the photo. Here's what it should look like.
    Hi Mac, ouch so sorry this happened :(
    Can you give me a link to the gallery for this upload?
    edited July 7, 2007
    I resent the bad photos using SmugExport from Aperture again and at least six of the 11 still came out wrong. Here's the worst one:
    macloyal.smugmug.com
    edited July 7, 2007
    The gallery
    http://macloyal.smugmug.com/Family/345384

I just tried resending those 11 using the SmugUploader and HOLY COW what a mess now! The whole gallery has tipped on its side and the photos are all distorted and sideways! YIKES!

OK, it's a dynamic problem. I just looked again and some of the photos have righted their orientation again, some remain a quarter turn off. There are more that are half dark that I didn't notice earlier. What kind of gremlins are running around tonight?

BTW, while SmugUploader was sending I could see at least five of the thumbnails were messed up, half black or distorted. The photos all look fine in Aperture.
    macloyal.smugmug.com
    edited July 7, 2007
    MacLoyal wrote:
    I resent the bad photos using SmugExport from Aperture again and at least six of the 11 still came out wrong. Here's the worst one:
    Hm... okay I'm trying one trick but it's not helping.

Please try reuploading them all with the Universal Drag and Drop and let me know if you have trouble. Haven't heard of any such trouble with the Aperture plugin, but let's see....
    edited July 7, 2007
    Smuggy doesn't live here anymore
    Well that request brings up another oddity. Several weeks ago when you requested I use the Universal method I was able to do it. Ever since then, I have NO Smuggy. That uploader page looks like this with only a tiny dot and a big blank space where Smuggy used to live. :hide I tried just dragging some photos onto the black space where Smuggy should be but all it did was open on photo very large in my browser window. I am using Firefox.

The SmugExporter has been working flawlessly for a few weeks until this problem today. I've uploaded hundreds of photos the last few days and I just went through my other galleries and can find no oopsies.
    macloyal.smugmug.com
    edited July 7, 2007
    More errors
    I spoke too soon about there not being other upload problems. I just discovered another gallery that did not upload properly today. It rules out one theory I had about this particular batch of photos having an unusually small file size. The photos in the other gallery have normal file sizes, so that's not the problem. Nor is it an old camera versus new camera issue because the photos I reported in the beginning of this thread were taken with my new camera.

http://macloyal.smugmug.com/gallery/3115372#P-2-15

I opened Safari and I still have a Smuggy living in the Universal uploader space over there.

I'm going to start a new gallery just to keep it straight and send the photos again through the universal on Safari.
    macloyal.smugmug.com
    edited July 7, 2007
    MacLoyal wrote:
    I spoke too soon about there not being other upload problems. I just discovered another gallery that did not upload properly today. It rules out one theory I had about this particular batch of photos having an unusually small file size. The photos in the other gallery have normal file sizes, so that's not the problem. Nor is it an old camera versus new camera issue because the photos I reported in the beginning of this thread were taken with my new camera.

http://macloyal.smugmug.com/gallery/3115372#P-2-15

I opened Safari and I still have a Smuggy living in the Universal uploader space over there.

I'm going to start a new gallery just to keep it straight and send the photos again through the universal on Safari.
    Good - let us know how you make out, thanks.
    edited July 7, 2007
    Experimental gallery
    Oh, these are interesting. This was using the Universal uploader from Safari. I sent them at full size because this batch of photos has some very small file sizes. I'm sure that's a good part of the problem, but it isn't the whole problem. The other instances had full 1-3 mb size files. I've gotten in the habit of sending 50% size to Smug to reduce the upload time.

http://macloyal.smugmug.com/Universal%20Safari

I'm going to get into my other computer and see if I can find these particular photos saved on it. I don't know how the file sizes got this small. That also explains part of the grainy look. I'd attributed that to my old camera and a weak battery at the end of the party not powering the flash well.
    macloyal.smugmug.com
    edited July 7, 2007
    No Smuggy
    What about no Smuggy on Firefox? Has that happened to anyone else? Am I jinxed?
    macloyal.smugmug.com
    edited July 8, 2007
    MacLoyal wrote:
    What about no Smuggy on Firefox? Has that happened to anyone else? Am I jinxed?
    I suspect you just need to update your FF Java... go here, and get the update, and try again?

http://www.java.com/en/download/windows_xpi.jsp
    edited July 8, 2007
    Java OK
    I have a Mac and my software updater (per Java site instructions) does not indicate I need any updates to Java.

Do you really want me to send again? I sent the whole bunch through the Safari browser using your Smuggy uploader. The results were even more distorted and corrupted.

http://macloyal.smugmug.com/Universal%20Safari

I'd say this was a fluke if it didn't keep happening. Since it's happened more than three times on different days and different batches of photos, something is going wrong. Now we know that it's not just the SmugExporter for Aperture since I exported the Safari experiment from a folder on my desktop.

This completely ruined my momentum for processing and posting pics this weekend.
    macloyal.smugmug.com
    edited August 8, 2007
    AACCCKKKK! It's happened again. I have a new gallery full of creepy distortions and partially uploaded images. I got no suggestions or help after my last post. I want to get to the bottom of this and figure out how to make it stop.

I left the gallery in the last post on my website to show what the problem looks like.

Now I'm going to leave this new mess posted for a bit in hopes of finding some answers. Is any one else reporting this oddity?

http://macloyal.smugmug.com/gallery/3274170#P-3-15

What should I do to correct the problem? headscratch.gif
    macloyal.smugmug.com
    edited August 8, 2007
    MacLoyal wrote:
    Is any one else reporting this oddity?

http://macloyal.smugmug.com/gallery/3274170#P-3-15

What should I do to correct the problem? headscratch.gif
    Hi Mac,

We haven't seen this really at all... I can only suggest that there are funky communications errors going on. I'm really sorry that this happens to you. I suspect extreme packet loss (data loss) during the upload.

I hope we can have some more uploading choices for you soon, that might overcome such problems.

In the meantime, you must reload these photos, I'm very sorry :cry