Obscurity

purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited February 4, 2005 in People
I took this picture about a week ago... I need some advice. First of all, if I can improve on anything, and second, if in away it personifies 'obscurity' or 'secrecy' to you. My mind has gone blank on this one and I could really use an outsider's view. :)

IMG_0793.png
Purified Photography
Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly

Comments

• ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    While a excellent photo IMO thumb.gif I do not find it conveys 'obscurity' or 'secrecy' to me.

It does have drama.

To emit a secrecy feeling; how about an out of focus man in the background looking at her in a questioning manner.
    Her far off gaze would then have more meaning in my humble opinion.
    Off course either you would have to photoshop this in or reshoot .

Heck if you reshot this... the universal shhsshh with an index finger to the lips would do just fine.
    However I do not think this is an option for you ne_nau.gif .

Of course a good title and that is what I am assuming you are after here to help establish relevance to 'obscurity' or 'secrecy' .

1: Oh what a tangled web we weave.
    2: What have I done?

This photo does however hold one big secret... And that is ...How did you take such a great picture ? Give us details please.:D

Tim
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    I agree with Shakey.

Its a wonderfull images with great colors, very nice lighting, a beautiful model, and very well shot.

But I dont get secrecy from it. I get more of a feeling of sadness or loss.

I am not dure I would recognise obscurity as an emotion and have no idea how you would depict it.
    edited February 4, 2005
    From your post in the "whats your story" thread I noticed that you praticed most of your portrait work modeling yourself. It made me wonder if this was you in this shot.

If so, it is probably the best self portrait I have EVER seen and would love to hear how you did it.
  • purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    Yes, it is a self-portrait. I'm surprised you think it's that good. I really don't think I did anything special... My digital camera's screen is moveable like a screen you would see on a digital camcorder... So I just turned the screen so I could see the picture while the camera was pointing at me and shot it. I took more than one picture because my hand is shaky and there's a 50% chance it will come out blurry.

For the lighting, I stood in front of a reading lamp and had all the other lights in the room off so that the background would be dark.

I did use some photoshop, of course... made the colors brighter, for example the red hood. I don't know what else to tell you but thank you, heh. :)
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
    edited February 4, 2005
    Did you do anything to soften the skin while leaving the lips eyes, etc so sharp?

I do think it's very good. The skin looks soft and smooth, everything else is nice and sharp. the lighting appears dramatic without being overdone.

The only thing neg I would say is that I dont quite think you nailed the emotion you were looking for.
  • purifiedpurified Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    Yes, there is a dew-drop tool, or the blur tool to make the skin look softer. For a few years I spent way too much of my spare time making icons, and I would sharpen the picture, but the face would look less appealing, so I would soften it to take on the original appearance before sharpening.
    Purified Photography
    Updated June 5 2007

-Kelly
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    purified wrote:
    Yes, there is a dew-drop tool, or the blur tool to make the skin look softer. For a few years I spent way too much of my spare time making icons, and I would sharpen the picture, but the face would look less appealing, so I would soften it to take on the original appearance before sharpening.
    I think you should patent your lips..
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    wave.gif welcome to dgrin, kelly :D lovely first post. very very good self-portrait, i like the moodiness you caught.

looking forward to more from you deal.gif