Options

Which laptop ... to take on a long trip

wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
edited April 30, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
I am not sure where to post this question but here I go.

Well first a little background. I will be taking (continuing on) a one year around the world trip. Currently I dont have a laptop or anything to store my photos on. I am simply burning them onto DVDs.

1) I think I should get and take along a laptop in order to finish my photos in photoshop. I want to travel light and also i want to use the lowepro orion backback with the convertable bottom (ie converts to a waistbelt or shoulder bag). this means that the computer would have to have a 10inch or so screen to fit in the top part of the pack (DayPack size (interior): 12.5W x 6.5D x 11.25H in. (32 x 16.5 x 29 cm)

2) I also think I should have some type of device to store my photos onto (i will also be burning and mailing back-up copies on DVDs).

my first question is based on your experiences should I take a laptop or not?

my second question is what type of device should i bring to store my photos on? money is somewhat of a concern so the epson p2500, or p 5000 is probably out of the question. or should i just bring a portable DVD burner and make primary and backup copies (like I am currently doing)? or should i bring some type of portable hardrive

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    David,

I moved this over to the digital dark room where we have most of our computer gear conversations. After all this laptop is going to be your digital darkroom.

Ok guys who can post something about apple faster than I can type my post about toshiba?
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2007
    Due to the size constraints and my assumption that you are most likely already familiar with and using a Windows machine here are my recommendations.

First laptop wise, cause of size you will probably be best suited going with a compact sony viao or toshiba ultra portable machine.

Don't skimp on a laptop seeing as you are going to be traveling you want something that is gonna come with everything you will need, and be reliable as you won't be close to home for service. At least 1gig ram minimum 2 gig's is prefferable. Core 2 Duo processor, dvd burner should be built in the laptop as well. Portable external hard drive would be my choice.
    www.zxstudios.com
  • Options
    wheresdavidwheresdavid Registered Users Posts: 297 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2007
    ok, i think the sony is out of my budget and the toshiba may be too.

so, let me ask this. is the hp tablet a good computer to take with? the size is right, i can find a used one with one gig of ram for around $580, such as the HP TC1100 Tablet PC Centrino 1.0 GHz.
    Due to the size constraints and my assumption that you are most likely already familiar with and using a Windows machine here are my recommendations.

First laptop wise, cause of size you will probably be best suited going with a compact sony viao or toshiba ultra portable machine.

Don't skimp on a laptop seeing as you are going to be traveling you want something that is gonna come with everything you will need, and be reliable as you won't be close to home for service. At least 1gig ram minimum 2 gig's is prefferable. Core 2 Duo processor, dvd burner should be built in the laptop as well. Portable external hard drive would be my choice.
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2007
    ok, i think the sony is out of my budget and the toshiba may be too.

so, let me ask this. is the hp tablet a good computer to take with? the size is right, i can find a used one with one gig of ram for around $580, such as the HP TC1100 Tablet PC Centrino 1.0 GHz.

When it comes to the smaller computers price is a hard one. Smaller = more $. Personally I avoid HP, I have never had one last more than a year and a couple months and compaq's (same company) are known for bad laptop hard drives. It may be exactly what you are looking for but I personally wouldn't buy one. I know you are on a budget but at the same point you can get a bigger laptop for that price that will be reliable and faster. With more features. The thing you have to pay attention to here is that it's not like being at home. A failure while you are traveling the world for a year will be horrible for you. I have had laptops fail on me at the end of a week long trip and that was horrible, just imagine being half way through your trip and your laptop dies. With the kind of situation you are in you have to make sure what you are getting will last.
    www.zxstudios.com