Options

>>> LPS#4 Semifinalists List!

2»

Comments

• Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Congratulations to ALL! Very, very tough round.... I am awed by the wonderful photos and think the judges did a phenomenal job!

Congrats again! clap.gif:D
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Congrats to everyone! I am loving this! Even though I haven't won a place in the top ten yet, it still is quite stimulating! Perhaps next round...

I do have a dumb question. (I think they multiply in my head like rabbits)

How many votes does each judge have? I mean, I loved having the tabulation of who got how many votes, but it made me confused a bit. Do the judges only have 10 votes total, or do they get to rank each picture as well by giving them more than one vote (or one or none!)? The reason why I asked is that the big winners had over 30 votes for them. And if there is only 60 votes total... hmmm. headscratch.gif
    This question is probably answered somewhere else, but I haven't found it.

I was pretty tickled to have 3 votes, but looking at it closer, it may not be as wonderful as I had first thought.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    How many votes does each judge have? I mean, I loved having the tabulation of who got how many votes, but it made me confused a bit. Do the judges only have 10 votes total, or do they get to rank each picture as well by giving them more than one vote (or one or none!)? The reason why I asked is that the big winners had over 30 votes for them. And if there is only 60 votes total... hmmm. headscratch.gif
    This question is probably answered somewhere else, but I haven't found it.

The judges pick their top ten photos, and rank them from 1 to 10 (1 being their favorite, and ten having barely made their list.

The rank is inverted to apply points. A photo that ranks a 1 gets 10 points, a photo that ranks a 10 gets 1 point.

All those points get tallied and the final top ten is chosen from the photos that have the most points.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    The judges pick their top ten photos, and rank them from 1 to 10 (1 being their favorite, and ten having barely made their list.

The rank is inverted to apply points. A photo that ranks a 1 gets 10 points, a photo that ranks a 10 gets 1 point.

All those points get tallied and the final top ten is chosen from the photos that have the most points.

would it not be easier to rank them from 10 to 1 then (10 being the favorite, and 1 having barely made their list)? :D
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007

Thanks for that explanation... I figured it must be something like that. Now it is nice to know what you all actually do. Good job setting this up- you guys are awesome! thumb.gif
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007

Not to say it happened this way, but given these rules one judge ranking a photo #1 would have been sufficient to put it in the top 10. The other side of that coin is that all 6 judges could have selected a photo near the bottom of their list and it might not have made it in. Another way to look at this is that #10 on one judge's list is only 1 point better than the other 90 photos entered which, given the competition, means you have a pretty good photo but it doesn't get you far toward qualifying.

What this means in practice is that convincing one or two judges that your photo is great is better than convincing all 6 that your photo is good enough. Mind you, I don't have any specific advice about how to achieve that goal...
  • Options
    indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    I'm stoked to have made any list, even with my wee 2 points. Love the inspiration, can't wait to keep going...
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2007
    would it not be easier to rank them from 10 to 1 then (10 being the favorite, and 1 having barely made their list)? :D

Conceptually, but the change in the amount of work still needed is negligble.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    ...convincing one or two judges that your photo is great is better than convincing all 6 that your photo is good enough.

A great photo is generally better than a photo that is good enough mwink.gif

We are trying to motivate people to go out and create great photos. Do that and the rest will take care of itself :D
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2007
    indiegirl wrote:
    I'm stoked to have made any list, even with my wee 2 points. Love the inspiration, can't wait to keep going...

Those two points can be the launching point to great things :D

Congratulations on earning them clap.gif
  • Options
    RobertRobert Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Congratulations to all. Well done.
    Never mind not making it into the first ten. I couldn’t even come up with an entry this time that I found worth while putting forward.
    That is depressing, believe you me.
    Robert
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    A great photo is generally better than a photo that is good enough mwink.gif

We are trying to motivate people to go out and create great photos. Do that and the rest will take care of itself :D

Truely great photos are the ones that stand the test of time. That, of course, is a test which can't really be applied in this format. It would be interesting to run a poll in a year to see which shots people like best after seeing them in the banner for a year.
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    It would be interesting to run a poll in a year to see which shots people like best after seeing them in the banner for a year.

That would be interesting!
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Fantastic job everyone!!!!thumb.gif

I can't believe how much I'm learning by studying all of the very talented photographers photos posted in these forums.

Thank you so much for sharing clap.gif.
  • Options
    NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Well done!!!
    I do not need to tell anyone that #4 was a great challenge......headscratch.gif...so WELL DONE to those who made the top 10! wings.gif

To the judges mwink.gif thanks for pushing us to our limits and challenging our creativity and photographic abilities!!!

bowdown.gif,

Maureen