zoom thumbnail issue -- again

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited May 2, 2007 in SmugMug Support
So I'm trying to do a bulk zoom thumbnail on a big gallery (400+ pics) and went through to adjust all the zooms, hit save and it started churning away. One HOUR later, two thumbnails are done. Two.

Okay, I know the zoom thumbnail takes a backseat to other SM processing, but it shouldn't be this slow, should it?

I had to abort two previous BZT attempts earlier today after waiting half an hour with nothing getting zoomed.

Anything I can do to speed this up? Am I attempting to zoom too many photos at once? :scratch

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Pete, what gallery?

And, I don't think you should call it an issue, you are using a hack after all... I have no idea how 400 are affected... I've not done that many at once...
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Pete, what gallery?

http://petespringer.smugmug.com/gallery/2786153

It finished zooming-- took an hour and half. It's odd, 'cause right after I posted here, the number of zooms really sped up... and finished within fifteen minutes.
    Andy wrote:
    And, I don't think you should call it an issue, you are using a hack after all... I have no idea how 400 are affected... I've not done that many at once...

You're right. Feel free to move this to the BZT/hack thread.

But... what I'm really trying to figure out is the best workflow for this. I start the upload just before bed, that part goes well. Then in the morning, I go to the all thumbs view and try to BZT everything. That's where things often hang or get really slow. I suspect it's because my morning (pacific time) is a high traffic time for SM? Is there a time of day where a big ol' BZT zoom action would be faster? Any idea when the least amount of processing or whatever is taking place on SM?

edited May 1, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Is there a time of day where a big ol' BZT zoom action would be faster? Any idea when the least amount of processing or whatever is taking place on SM?
    I really couldn't say, it's probably just the # of thumbs you did at once, is my guess.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you!
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    I really couldn't say, it's probably just the # of thumbs you did at once, is my guess.

Sorry I don't have a better answer for you!

Well, the good news (for both me and SM) is once they all got zoomed and I made the gallery public, I got an order for more than 20 prints from one person!

I'll keep experimenting with zooming different times of the day to see if that speeds things up. I appreciate your help, Andy.

edited May 2, 2007
    dogwood wrote:
    Well, the good news (for both me and SM) is once they all got zoomed and I made the gallery public, I got an order for more than 20 prints from one person!

I'll keep experimenting with zooming different times of the day to see if that speeds things up. I appreciate your help, Andy.
    Cool... And I'm experimenting shooting a Fashion Show one week from tonight....