Comments on LPS#4 entry...please

sunionesunione Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited May 2, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Congratulation to all the semifinalists in round #4. The entries were awesome! There's alot of people working really hard out there.

Many have said that they like the idea of this contest being a learning experience. I could learn more if you (any of you reading this) would give me feedback on my last entry. How do you feel about my entry (#27 MAGIC MIRROR....page 3 of entry thread)?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

Here's how I'm feeling today....
148630048-M.jpg

2214610#148630048-M-LB
2214610#148630048-M-LB
Suni R
http://artbysuni.smugmug.com/

"IT'S ALL ABOUT THE LIGHT"

Comments

• indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    My first impression was "Whoa! Cool!" I like the idea and the image engaged me with its slightly creepy feeling.

In the end, I felt it was more of a PS image than a actual photograph and that was why I didn't include it in my top ten.
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Great Idea
    sunione wrote:

Now, that captures the spirit of the tall mountains LPS asks us to climb.

But, who does not believe [he, she, it...] wont' push that fascinating door open and, gathering speed, rush into a new dimension.
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    sunione wrote:
    148630048-M.jpg

2214610#148630048-M-LB
    2214610#148630048-M-LB
    Hey, if the door is locked, try going around it! Looks like there is plenty of room! Think different, as they like to say in the ad's.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • sunionesunione Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Thanks INDIEGIRL. I understand your point. The rules did state that any PS was fine if it fit the theme though.

Shay & Bisti: But may I have your comments about MAGIC MIRROR?
    Suni R

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    I didn't like the duality of it, meaning I don't think the left mirror was necessary. The expression also didn't really grab me, there's no real emotion showing. It just looked kind of creepy.

Just my thoughts... it's definitely art, and everyone has their own interpretation.
    Chris
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Some comments:

The first difference I notice between the mirrors is that one is in B&W and the other is in color: that is the impression on the 5 second glance. Only when I look at it longer do I notice the other differences, but even then, the B&W vs. Color difference lingers heavily. You introduced (for no reason I can see) an artifical difference between the mirrors that competes with your message which significanly weakens the impact.

One idea I have to improve this shot is to put both mirrors on a dressing table. Giving them some context will help tell your story. Also, giving them a shared context would integrate the picture and make it feel less stiched together.

In terms of photoshop work, many people will prefer the image if you allow room for the suspension of disbelief by making the shot feel like one even if it isn't. That is a mistake I made with my entry. While it really was just one scene (albeit an HDR) and the cloning work I did was minimal, many people react to it as if it were two. I didn't realize that was a problem until too late. I came up with a solution during the contest period but I didn't have time to actually shoot it.
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    sunione wrote:
    Thanks INDIEGIRL. I understand your point. The rules did state that any PS was fine if it fit the theme though.

Sure 'nuf. I was just telling you my opinion of the image and why I personally didn't include it on my top ten.
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    I personally like well photoshoped images... I like executing or creating fun unrealistic or even believable images... so when I see one I tend to think in terms of how it was done and how I might do it better... Anyway I liked your image a lot! I think it was well executed funny and compelling... When I started to critique it in my mind, I thought that I would have left both mirrors in color, then I started thinking “artificial, what would make it say artificial better”… And then I thought, a mirror on a dressing table, the kind with 2 side mirrors and the image captured in the middle mirror was the glamour shot “artificial” and the images on either side the not artificial ones, only silhouettes… with the back of the persons head in the photo looking into the mirror…

The fact is, you really didn’t need both mirrors to say artificial, but I new what you wanted to show with the whole magic mirror thing and I didn’t think that was done very well

Hope this wasn't more information than you were looking for...:D

Just keep in mind... I think we are all trying to create that one image that makes the majority of people who see it, go "WOW"

For what it’s worth…

Winston
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    In all honesty....
    I thought your shot (as I didn't over think it or go into the way you did it so deeply) was a really cool one. The color versus black & white didn't faze me. I thought it was done very well how one mirror showed a younger more vibrant face and the other older. Not a big deal to me....and I might suggest...for you too....don't over think it either. It's done, it's over...you did a great job portraying your mind's eys and it came across.

Who knows what a judge will think, let alone a hundred other people. We all have shots like this....some we think are really nice and other's don't take to it....so......big deal. Keep up with your creativity as I personally think it's wonderful. Bottom line it's about our artistic expressions. Not everyone likes Genesis, not everyone likes Rembrant.

Keep the faith....be you...let your own artistic style speak volumes of your abilities...some will wooo, some won't...we have no control over that.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • thebigskythebigsky Registered Users Posts: 1,052 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Given that images completely unrelated to the themes and images that would have received a severe mauling in the whipping post garnered votes, and even in some cases made it into the top 10 I think you just need to accept the involvement of human nature in the voting, though I'm aware how difficult this is.

Charlie
  • sunionesunione Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Thanks Charlie
    "Given that images completely unrelated to the themes and images that would have received a severe mauling in the whipping post garnered votes, and even in some cases made it into the top 10 I think you just need to accept the involvement of human nature in the voting, though I'm aware how difficult this is."

BIG Thanks Charlie

Your advice shall be taken to heart!!!thumb.gif
    Suni R