Options

Gaudi's Barcelona

StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
edited May 7, 2007 in Journeys
We took a few days off last week and went to Barcelona. We walked miles, sampling the tapas along the way.

To keep it simple I am posting some of Antoni Gaudi's work. There is too much to see for one post.

Gaudi is NUTS. I got this impression every time I saw some of his work. The obvious example is the Casa Batllo with its famous frontage. Most of the building is open to the public. You take MP3 player and listen to the commentary as you walk round. This goes some way to explain his thought process.

Casa Batllo
148167091-L.jpg

The centre of the building has a stair well with a skylight on either side to allow light and ventilation to the lower rooms. the blue tiles become darker as you go up to decrease the lights intensity.

147897683-L.jpg

On the roof are Chimneys, covered with mosiac tiling
148218345-L.jpg

The Sagrada Familia is the temple he began building, which is still being built today After the first stone was laid in 1882

The Passion Facade
148201576-L.jpg

148202205-L.jpg

The Nativity Facade
148201644-L.jpg

The Nativity Facade
148201948-L.jpg

Park Guell is on a hill, overlooking Barcelona.
148357004-L.jpg

There are 3 kilometres of paths on the hill, with paths supported by pillars with more strange detailing
148327589-L-1.jpg

148320940-L.jpg

The site was originally designed as a housing estate but only 2 houses were built

148329165-L.jpg

I hope you enjoyed my brief tour

Stan

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2007
    Yes, I did. Thanks!

First time I saw Gaudi's work, I felt like I was on another planet. Bizarre and captivating. I fully intend to see it in person someday.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    muy interesante.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Was there an event going on at the catedral? It doesn't look like you were allowed in... I may have to pull up my pictures from 1996 to see how it's progressed!

Very cool. We didn't get to many of the other Gaudi sites. Thanks for the tour!
    Chris
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    I love the very first shot! Excellent clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Yes, I did. Thanks!

First time I saw Gaudi's work, I felt like I was on another planet. Bizarre and captivating. I fully intend to see it in person someday.

Thanks Sid, I hope you make it. I have always enjoyed his work and it was great to be able to run away for a while to see some of his work for real.
    Tee Why wrote:
    muy interesante.

Thanks Tee
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Was there an event going on at the catedral? It doesn't look like you were allowed in... I may have to pull up my pictures from 1996 to see how it's progressed!

Very cool. We didn't get to many of the other Gaudi sites. Thanks for the tour!

No, sorry, me and sleep don't go well, so I get up early, leave the wife asleep, ask at reception to wake the wife at a sensible hour and come back full of coffee when she is ready for breakfast. The Sagrada Familia doesn't open until 9 o'clock, I wasn't going to wait that long :D Crowds were a real problem, especially on Saturday. But we were done by then and spent most of the time eating tapas and waiting to fly home...

This was taken in the catedral at 08.07 am
    148367465-L.jpg
    The cleaners are cleaning the altar

This one was taken at 10.41 am
    149015842-L.jpg
    After 1 o'clock you have to join the queue and pay to go in.

Cheers
    Stan
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2007
    Holy cow, quite a difference. The early bird gets the cathedral, eh? lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Holy cow, quite a difference. The early bird gets the cathedral, eh? lol3.gif

And the bat gets to play with Dgrin it's 00.50 here rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2007
    Stan wrote:
    And the bat gets to play with Dgrin it's 00.50 here rolleyes1.gif
    lol3.gif Just take a jaunt over to Biggleswade for a drink with Algy. naughty.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2007
    That's about 15 minutes away, my sister in law lives there. Who is Algy?

Stan
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2007
    Stan wrote:
    That's about 15 minutes away, my sister in law lives there. Who is Algy?

Stan
    You don't know Biggles?eek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gif

lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    You don't know Biggles?eek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gifeek7.gif

lol3.gif

That's the Shuttleworth collection. I haven't been there since I was my sons age (8)

That would be great. My son loves planes. I'll see what I can do.

Great Idea

Stan
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,919 moderator
    edited May 3, 2007
    Nice stuff, Stan. Gaudi was one tripped out dude. You can tell he spent many hours just staring at burning candle wicks. I don't know if they'll ever finish the Sagrada Familia. The Vatican has never been too happy about it, partly because it will be bigger than St. Peter's in Rome but mostly because much of the ornamentation is distinctly pagan. Even if they do complete it, it will not measure up to his vision. You can see the difference between the facade that he completed (astounding) and the more recent one (ho hum). That's because he worked with a known group of craftsmen and improvised much of the decoration ("I think we need a gigantic turtle right there...").

Post some more.

Cheers,
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    Thanks Richard.
    Like a lizard climbing down the wall...
    148202064-L.jpg

The difference between the two facads is huge, the Nativity Facade is so finely detailed compared to the "blockishness" (word?) of the Passion facade
    148202117-L.jpg

The rest of Barcelona can be found here.

Cheers
    Stan
  • Options
    DucCatDucCat Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Stan,

the images are lovely,I was in spain in 2004 for a few weeks when I was on a trip and I am wondering when the Sagrada is destined to be finished? Did you you by chance go to the sunflower house? It is my favorite:D
    Find what you love... Love what you find
  • Options
    jthomasjthomas Registered Users Posts: 454 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    My only visit to Barcelona was in 1963. I have a picture of the Sagrada Familia from that trip. I'm disappointed to hear that it's still not finished!

Nice series; thanks for posting.
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    DucCat wrote:
    Stan,

the images are lovely,I was in spain in 2004 for a few weeks when I was on a trip and I am wondering when the Sagrada is destined to be finished? Did you you by chance go to the sunflower house? It is my favorite:D

Scheduled to be completed around 2026, but .... not sure what time.lol3.gif