edited February 5, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok, I read the rules, and I have the right theme this time.:clap

Title: Faith
Camera: D Rebel
Lens: 28-135is
Date: 02/04/05

39389538.jpg
dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    disclaimer: Very interesting shot and don't take the following to serious, it's more of a funny and a littlebit senseless comment, but I've to tell it to the world now. :D

I'm overwelmed with candles and don't know where to look first. Can't look very long at it, it reminds me of such optical illusion pictures where everything started moving after a while. Maybe it's because the candleholders are in no order and different angles (as if the surface isn't flat). :uhoh
    But maybe it's just me and I'm way to tired...better get into bed now. umph.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    disclaimer: Very interesting shot and don't take the following to serious, it's more of a funny and a littlebit senseless comment, but I've to tell it to the world now. :D

I'm overwelmed with candles and don't know where to look first. Can't look very long at it, it reminds me of such optical illusion pictures where everything started moving after a while. Maybe it's because the candleholders are in no order and different angles (as if the surface isn't flat). :uhoh
    But maybe it's just me and I'm way to tired...better get into bed now. umph.gif
    It's not very often that people get overwhelmed by one of my pics.:D
    Believe or not, these candle holders are very neatly arranged in rows and
    columns. They are tiered like stadium seating. The angle of the camera
    makes it look out of whack. The Border may not be the best. How about
    this one.

BTW, this photo was taken in the Cathedral in Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA.

39393536.jpg
    dave.

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    I like it! thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    gregneilgregneil Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2005
    I really like the shot. Interesting lines and composition - I like how some candles are lit and some are not, and the gold and red colors really look nice together in the glow of the candles. I like the second border better.

My only thought would be that some of the "dark" areas don't seem dark enough, and there seems to be quite a bit of noise in the image. Now, take all my comments w/ a grain of salt 'cus I'm a total beginner... but what I'd try (which is what I've been doing for the last "week" or so) is 2 things in Photoshop. First, try using a plugin like noise ninja to reduce the noise. I've been really enjoying the results from noise ninja... And then try using the curves tool to choose a black and a white value in the image. Maybe you've already done this, I don't know what your post processing has been so far, but that's the direction I'd probably take...

Noise ninja can be downloaded (free 'cus it's in beta!) here.

Here's a tutorial I read up on last week about using curves. I'm just starting to use curves instead of brightness / contrast, hue, etc.. because... well because someone here on dgrin who sounded really smart said so! There's probably better "training" on this available out there, but this was helpful for me so I thought I'd share it...
    There's a thin line between genius and stupid.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2005
    Ok, how's this.

as above:

39393536.jpg

and with noise ninja

39398415.jpg
    dave.

• Options
    edited February 5, 2005
    Yea, I think it makes a difference. I'm especially noticing a difference in the super low-light areas of the shot, specifically in the "gold" parts of the candleholders that are underneath the red sections. Does it look better to you? After all, it's your picture!

What were your settings for this shot? ISO?
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2005
    gregneil wrote:
    Yea, I think it makes a difference. I'm especially noticing a difference in the super low-light areas of the shot, specifically in the "gold" parts of the candleholders that are underneath the red sections. Does it look better to you? After all, it's your picture!
    What were your settings for this shot? ISO?
    I up'd the contrast when I ninja'd it, that's why the darks are blacker.
    I think it looks better in a way, but I also kind of like a little grain in darker
    pics, like old time B&W's. I think I'll go with the smoother pic. Thanks for
    the help.

dave.

Picture specs:
    Shutter: 1/40 ( I really like I.S.)
    Aperture: f5.6
    ISO: 800
    dave.

• Options
    edited February 5, 2005
    I like a little grain, too, it's just that for some reason the digital noise just looks nasty compared to a nice film grain. When I first started using noise ninja, I was oversmoothifying everything. Lately I've been using a lot less "strength", and that seems to help produce a more "natural" looking graininess. Whatever that means...
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    Didn't pay much attention to the border the 1st time, but I like your new one.

According to the candleholder arrangement: These optical illusion pictures are often so perfect arranged in order to achieve the effect and I've still the feeling that these candles want to fool my mind. eek7.gif

I better get back to my studies. umph.gif
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero