Options

They call it Turnagain Arm - Alaska

PrezwoodzPrezwoodz Registered Users Posts: 1,147 Major grins
edited May 3, 2007 in Landscapes
This area is called Turnagain Arm. It is named that because the early explorerers of the area (Capt. Cook) journeyed into the area to find a way to boat through to the other side but kept getting stuck in the little rivers of sand. The tide rises 30ft and is one of only a few areas on the world with a constant bore tide.

chinstrap08.jpg

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    This area is called Turnagain Arm. It is named that because the early explorerers of the area (Capt. Cook) journeyed into the area to find a way to boat through to the other side but kept getting stuck in the little rivers of sand. The tide rises 30ft and is one of only a few areas on the world with a constant bore tide.

Thats an awesome sight, mountains upon mountains in the background.
    Now are you in a plane or chopper taking that shot, or you also up a mountain looking back at the other mountains headscratch.gif

Very Nice Shot Prezwoodz thumb.gif ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Beautiful shot. thumb.gif

I was on that road once, hoping to video a cool bore tide.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Beautiful scenery! Great shot! clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    Skippy wrote:
    Thats an awesome sight, mountains upon mountains in the background.
    Now are you in a plane or chopper taking that shot, or you also up a mountain looking back at the other mountains headscratch.gif

Very Nice Shot Prezwoodz thumb.gif ... Skippy

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I am actually standing at the summit of a peak called Crested Peak. Which will now always have a place in my heart because on the descent after climbing both Crested and Chinstrap Peaks solo I was caught in my first small avalanche. I ended up half barried and freaked out of mind. Only lost a ski pole though so it wasn't to bad.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Great shot...i didnt know cook was in that area.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2007
    Cook actually explored a lot of Alaskan waters. We have areas such as the Cook Inlet and Captian Cook hotel. ;)
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Prezwoodz wrote:
    Cook actually explored a lot of Alaskan waters. We have areas such as the Cook Inlet and Captian Cook hotel. ;)
    I dint know that. Every second thing here is named after him...pity as we now know he didnt sail to & discover Australia at all. He was hundreds of years too late and a lot of peaople were in front of him.