Options

Good or bad?

ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
edited May 3, 2007 in People
Managed to pull out this one (sneaky shot :D) as I'm not into people "shoting" (I'm [SIZE=-1]socially anxious, socially isolated, have low self-esteem, no self-confidence, all the qualities needed for going after little thing, non barking, non talking, unmovable... you've got the picture [/SIZE]:D).
So , how bad is it?
Cristian.
[SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]

Comments

• Options
    rundadarrundadar Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    ultravox wrote:
    Managed to pull out this one (sneaky shot :D) as I'm not into people "shoting" (I'm [SIZE=-1]socially anxious, socially isolated, have low self-esteem, no self-confidence, all the qualities needed for going after little thing, non barking, non talking, unmovable... you've got the picture [/SIZE]:D).
    So , how bad is it?

It's an 'OK' portrait enhanced by a very interesting PP job. Why is it 'OK'? Because the composition is convincing, but the expression on his face is 'random'.

My 2c.
    http://rundadar.smugmug.com

"...turtles are great speed enthusiasts, which is natural"

J.Cortazar

• Options
    frgfrg Registered Users Posts: 583 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    I like it, great composition....

rundadar , excuse my ignorance but what makes an expression 'random' ?
  • Options
    mmrodenmmroden Registered Users Posts: 472 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    I think what he means by 'random' is 'not what I was expecting'

I think this photo has a lot of potential. What I think might help is some curves or other adjustments (maybe some burning and dodging) to try to bring out his face from the background.
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    I think this is an interesting shot too. I really like the setting.
    C and C always welcome.
  • Options
    rundadarrundadar Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    frg wrote:
    I like it, great composition....

rundadar , excuse my ignorance but what makes an expression 'random' ?

Sometimes a person's true character shows in his/her facial expression. And sometimes (very often) only his/her current thoughts / concerns do. If you sit on the bench with a long lens and point it at someone and take enough shots, you're almost guaranteed to get some interesting/nice/stunning etc. portraits - but usually they all be random, yet sometimes you just pass a stranger by and the character 'strikes' you - that's non-random.

Btw, I don't mean to imply that the OP took the shoot with the long lens sitting on the bench! Just meant as clarification (as requested)
    http://rundadar.smugmug.com

"...turtles are great speed enthusiasts, which is natural"

J.Cortazar

• Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    Cristian,

it is a good portrait. The facial expression has character bordering between scrutinizing what you are doing and "I'm cool and tough"

If you are shy and you can pull off a shot like that I'd really like to see what you'd do when you overcome the silly shyness.

B R A V O!
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2007
    I agree with Rundadar.

I love the composition and the mood you create with your post-processing. The hat is a little too light though, my eye goes toward it. It detracts from his face.

But it is a picture I have to look at for a third or even fourth time and it becomes better :D ... where is this guy? what is he looking at and what is he thinking?

You say you're socially shy. Use your camera to overcome that. You'll be surprised how many conversations you will strike up when doing street-photography. Who knows, you may come to love it!
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Thank you for you're comments.iloveyou.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Don't sell yourself short...in other words...you did a good job...do more of this.

I use to be shy (years ago)...and would never take pictures of people...only plants and flowers...but once I started doing portraits, and then weddings...it really opened me up and my confidence grew to new heights.

I think it is a very interesting shot...would love to see the color version of it.

Good Job!!!clap.gif