Options

A Rant For The Rest of Us!

lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
edited February 8, 2005 in Digital Darkroom
(I'm off to central Cal till Monday sometime, all y'all just enjoy irreverent Mark's POV. ) :rofl
San Francisco Chronicle columnist

Comments

• Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    "Do you feel lucky?"
    lynnesite wrote:
    (I'm off to central Cal till Monday sometime, all y'all just enjoy irreverent Mark's POV. ) rolleyes1.gif
    San Francisco Chronicle columnist
    I guess I'll never know the reason why do the vast majority of apple owners have a need to trash wintel platform with their every breath.. headscratch.gif
    Need to feel important? Need to feel better?:uhoh

"Well, do ya?"
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    No, not trashing. I think it's the other way around, at least from what I read at other forums.

If you read that column, it asks some basic questions....WHY do people put up with Windows and all it's fault? Why put up with Viruses and the such?

Seriously!
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2005
    I use Xp ...i have no problems with anything at all. It is odd that people get so hung up about what others use.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    Welcome to the Hot Zone, John:-)
    JohnR wrote:
    No, not trashing. I think it's the other way around, at least from what I read at other forums.

If you read that column, it asks some basic questions....WHY do people put up with Windows and all it's fault? Why put up with Viruses and the such?

Seriously!
    Never saw a wintel bigot trashing apple. For real. We just don't care. If you're in love with a piece of silicon - I defintely can dig it, trust me, although I personally prefer it to come in pairs:-).
    Other direction - all the time, just check this forum (I mean dgrin in general):D

The article does not ask questions. Author simply makes - very blatant - assumptions about things he never even cared to think of. No viruses for macs, for instance, this one seems to be going on for ever. You wanna know the real reason?

<an old joke>
    Two cowboys are talking in a saloon.
    First: "Have you heard the news? The Uncatchable Joe was seen around the town!"
    Second: "Really? Is he really uncatchahable? Nobody could really catch him ever?"
    First: "Nah. Nobody really cared to"
    </an old joke>

<quote from another thread>
    These represent 6 months of data and close to 100 000 people sample:
    • Windows XP 91.60%
    • Other Windows 7.70%
    • Linux 0.50%
    • Macintosh 0.20%
    </quote from another thread>

The real resaon: there is no such stupid hacker in the whole wide world who'd spend any time writing a decent virus which would target 0.2% of the general 'Net population. It's plain cost-prohibitive...

So may you guys thrive happily while we're taking all the fire... :-)

You choose to live in a golden cage rather than in an open space (it's very accurate analogy, believe it or not) - the choice is yours. It's fine by me. I respect your choice. Windows, mac, linux, unix, os/2, amiga - whatever tool does the job.
    I really couldn't care less - but not until somebody starts spitting specifically in my direction. Then - and only then - I get upset.:-)

Mac works for you - great. Windows works for me. It gives me both bread and butter. It ain't perfect, I know. Well, mac os ain't perfect either, otherwise why on Earth would you have OS updates?. But at least I don't close my eyes on those imperfections, I find my way out and about. And I have tons of options to choose from. You - you're stuck with what His Holiness decided to give you. And you cheer and praised him for His kindness and care. I do not praise Bill Gates. I work with his product, Windows. You're in love with Mac. Good for you. For me, pc is just a power tool, like a screwdriver. I'm not ashamed of my choice of powertools, but I'm not that crazy to fall in love with my drill, sledgehammer, or garden hose either.
    But if somebody constantly trashes my choice of powertools - eventually that "somebody" gonna have some beef with me, because I can simply get tired of that.

As they say - "Don't trouble trouble":-)

Cheers1drink.gif
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Nikolai,

I've stayed pretty quite w/ the whole Mac vs. PC ordeal going on, but I just can't take it anymore.

It seems every post I read of yours has some kind of mac bashing, pc is better theme. You are honestly worse than all the Mac people here.

Please, give it a rest.

Thanks,
    Dave
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    Dave,
    dkapp wrote:
    Nikolai,

I've stayed pretty quite w/ the whole Mac vs. PC ordeal going on, but I just can't take it anymore.

It seems every post I read of yours has some kind of mac bashing, pc is better theme. You are honestly worse than all the Mac people here.

Please, give it a rest.

Thanks,
    Dave
    I appreciate your input, but.. don't you think that maybe the initial post is the reason, not me?
    I only seem the to be the only person (well, Gus also had something to say) who's
    1) not ashamed of being PC user;
    2) not going to take it with the smile when spit upon;

If you find any post of mine where I STARTED this kind of nonsense - I'll bring my sincere apologies and swear not to comment on the topic again. But - you won't. 'Cause I didn't.

Wanna stop it? Well, I'm all for it, but let's stop it on both sides, shall we?

I was like 8 when I went against the whole class when we had to make a choice. I'm 44 now, and I'm not gonna change my point of view simply because the "ruling majority" has a different one. I don't start trashing other's opinions, but I don't like others bashing mine, either.

Cheers:-)1drink.gif
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Never saw a wintel bigot trashing apple.

GTFO..."never"? And you call yourself a computer geek? rolleyes1.gif

http://mac-sucks.com/
    http://underscorebleach.net/content/jotsheet/2004/12/apple_sucks
    http://www.starpoint.net/~schaef/mac_suck.htm
    http://64.55.181.130/news/geeknews/2002Dec/tal20021126017515.htm

That should get you started. If you need more evidence of the anti-mac bigotry, go google it. I'm pretty sure google runs on PCs too. rolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    Thanks, Fish!
    fish wrote:
    GTFO..."never"? And you call yourself a computer geek? rolleyes1.gif

http://mac-sucks.com/
    http://underscorebleach.net/content/jotsheet/2004/12/apple_sucks
    http://www.starpoint.net/~schaef/mac_suck.htm
    http://64.55.181.130/news/geeknews/2002Dec/tal20021126017515.htm

That should get you started. If you need more evidence of the anti-mac bigotry, go google it. I'm pretty sure google runs on PCs too. rolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    I never went to those sites, but I guess now I will:-)
    Appreciate your help!thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I never went to those sites, but I guess now I will:-)
    Appreciate your help!thumb.gif

Cheers!1drink.gif

bigotry loves company.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    It's YOUR links, aren't they?
    I didn't even bother to look.. You, on the onther hand, obvously did:-).
    Which I truly appreciate:-)thumb.gif Some eye-opening facts there, like G5 test cheating and such, I didn't even know.. Sad, very sad, what can I say...
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    I didn't even bother to look.. You, on the onther hand, obvously did:-).
    Which I truly appreciate:-)thumb.gif Some eye-opening facts there, like G5 test cheating and such, I didn't even know.. Sad, very sad, what can I say...

give it a rest, nik. :stfu
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    With pleasure, mylord:-)
    fish wrote:
    give it a rest, nik. :stfu
    As long as there are no "slings and arrows" from the other side deal.gif - I'm tres cool!:D

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Personally, I wish we'd dump the STFU smilie. It's not in keeping with the overall tenor of the dgrin. I think this is the first time I've seen it used the way it's used on the other forum. Pity.

WRT Mac vs Windbloz... at first it was amusing. Now it's tiresome. And based on the unpleasant direction this thread has taken, it's straining the civility that has, so far, been the hallmark of this forum.

Give it a rest.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Yea, we should be debating stuff that really matters, like Ford Vs. Chevy, Nikon vs. Canon, Coke vs. Pepsi, or mohawk vs. mullet. :D
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    Mullet. Definitely mullet. :heh
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    Yea, we should be debating stuff that really matters, like Ford Vs. Chevy, Nikon vs. Canon, Coke vs. Pepsi, or mohawk vs. mullet. :D
    You forgot Import vs Domestic clap.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Boxers rule!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    Wrt
    wxwax wrote:
    WRT Mac vs Windbloz...
    Don't you see the irony?
    Calling for calm and adding more fuel at the same time?mwink.gif

And if you are doing this yoursefl - what would you expect from the others?
    The famous "Do what I say, not what I do"?

I guess, the next step will be the Big Red Button ..rolleyes1.gif

And nobody even mentioned the original - highly provocative - post which started this thread.. But my - very mild, please check - reply to it - no, how dare you..:-(

I guess I should've taken the hint, when the very first reply to one of my very first posts at dgrin was essentially "we're mac people here, you damn dirty ap.. pc user". I didn't at the time. But it's never too late to make a wise decision... :-)

Don't forget to change the banner from "get the shot" to "macs only". This way you'd clearly avoid the future confusions..

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Personally, I wish we'd dump the STFU smilie. It's not in keeping with the overall tenor of the dgrin. I think this is the first time I've seen it used the way it's used on the other forum. Pity.
    shine through, freaky user! clap.gif

I guess i'm going to have to make an fyyff sign just for you, waxamole.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    Nikolai wrote:
    Don't you see the irony?
    Calling for calm and adding more fuel at the same time?mwink.gif

And if you are doing this yoursefl - what would you expect from the others?
    The famous "Do what I say, not what I do"?

I guess, the next step will be the Big Red Button ..rolleyes1.gif

And nobody even mentioned the original - highly provocative - post which started this thread.. But my - very mild, please check - reply to it - no, how dare you..:-(

I guess I should've taken the hint, when the very first reply to one of my very first posts at dgrin was essentially "we're mac people here, you damn dirty ap.. pc user". I didn't at the time. But it's never too late to make a wise decision... :-)

Don't forget to change the banner from "get the shot" to "macs only". This way you'd clearly avoid the future confusions..

Cheers!1drink.gif

Nik, old son, I'm on a PC, always have been.

See what I mean? It's out of control.

Chill.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    fish wrote:
    shine through, freaky user! clap.gif

I guess i'm going to have to make an fyyff sign just for you, waxamole.

You clicked on the wrong forum, Fish.
    Sid.
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    You forgot Import vs Domestic clap.gif
    Beer or cars?
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    Well, I am now:-)
    wxwax wrote:
    Nik, old son, I'm on a PC, always have been.

See what I mean? It's out of control.

Chill.
    Sid, thx for the clarification:-) I guess it was a nice example of a "Friendly Fire - aint":-)rolleyes1.gif

Sorry for the delay with response, busy updating website.. Should come live later tonite.. along with the new version - which is already uploaded:-)

Cheers!1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    leather or rubber
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    liberal or conservative
    paper or plastic
    visa or mastercard
    whips or chains
    sportbikes or cruisers
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    tripe or fried haloumi

hold it....i love 'em both.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited February 6, 2005
    fish wrote:
    bigotry loves company.
    Straight from the horses mouth.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Straight from the horses mouth.

Ian
    of course, but I'm a knowledgeable bigot. lol3.gif

I've only been on macs for about six months. Was on wintel since about 1983, and still own three or four pcs. It was an easy decision to switch.
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Given that smiie and the one flipping birds I was really surprised when a moderator wouldn't let me call fighting roosters "cocks", which after all is what they are called.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2005
    cmr164 wrote:
    Given that smiie and the one flipping birds I was really surprised when a moderator wouldn't let me call fighting roosters "cocks", which after all is what they are called.

Charles,

All I can tell you is that mods are people too. People working for FREE, i might add. Some of them are more sensitive than others. But the mods rule the roost. It's just a fact of forum life. Besides, is the title of your thread any more important than the content?