Got my camera back from service....

DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
edited May 5, 2007 in Cameras
....and I have a question.

It was not focusing properly, and the note that came back said that the AF assembly was dusty.

Now, I'm glad to have had Canon service the camera. It was due for a good cleaning, and it was just in time for our trip to Utah.

My question is: is the AF assembly something that can be cleaned out by me? Or does it need to be done by a service tech?
Moderator Emeritus
Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 3, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:

It was not focusing properly, and the note that came back said that the AF assembly was dusty.

Now, I'm glad to have had Canon service the camera. It was due for a good cleaning, and it was just in time for our trip to Utah.

My question is: is the AF assembly something that can be cleaned out by me? Or does it need to be done by a service tech?

David,

Look at the diagram at:

http://leongoodman.tripod.com/d70/dslrchartweb500.jpg

See how the autofocus is located below the mirror?

Here is a shot of my Canon 350D/XT showing the actual region, in cleaning mode:

149200249-L.jpg

149200218-L.jpg

The arrow points to the "mask" that covers the autofocus area. There is no practical way (that I know of) to easily remove the mask, so the best you could do is to direct a stream of high-velocity air into the mask.

I believe a real cleaning of the autofocus requires disassembly and more risk than most owners are likely to feel comfortable with.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    wow .. thanks Z good info ... I bet you can get that mask off with a butter knife.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited May 3, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    wow .. thanks Z good info ... I bet you can get that mask off with a butter knife.

No doubt, but getting it back on is another matter. mwink.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:
    lol3.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:

rolleyes1.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 3, 2007
    Seefutlung wrote:

I would only use a butter knife to disassemble Nikon cameras. thumb.gifD (It's a joke folks. No hate mail please.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I would only use a butter knife to disassemble Nikon cameras. thumb.gifD (It's a joke folks. No hate mail please.)

Groan...rolleyes1.gif
  • SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    ziggy53 wrote:

Don't Nikons come with a BK as a standard tool ... you gotta pay extra for a program to process your images ... but the Butter Knife is included.
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • goodcrnagoodcrna Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    David,
    How did you go about sending in your camera to Canon? Did you go to the website... How did you package it? Original box? HOw long did this all take to get your camera back, once you sent it in?

I'm having focusing issue also....along with some spots on the sensor that I cant get off....:cry

Greg

DavidTO wrote: