Options

New Fisheye

saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
edited May 24, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
(Not sure where to post these, so mods feel free to move.) I recently purchased the Tokina 10-17/3.5-4.5 DX fisheye zoom lens. Since good landscape shots mostly seem to elude me, I thought I would just like to have a "fun" lens which could be useful for people shots as well. This isn't a review of the lens itself as I haven't shot much with it since the weather conditions have not been too cooperative. While it is fun to look through, attaining a good shot is going to take some practice, that's for sure! Last weekend I shot these down at the marina. Low clouds kept moving in and out, blocking half the light and naturally, half of my sky ended up solid banks of white and the other half cloudy and blue. It's tricky especially at the beach, as the sun sets on one side of your frame and well, kinda blows it out! Oh well. Commentary always welcome. :D

#1 This one didn't quite cut it.....too far from flowers, I suspect, although I like the circle of footprints!
149125965-L.jpg

#2 I like this better....I'm not sure about the rock and flowers in the middle, but with a curved horizon...where should it go? Filled sky with blue....it was horrid.
148132974-L.jpg

#3 This one seems better - I filled the sky with blue - also used a warming filter since the light was so blah.
149125368-L.jpg

#4 Here's my son holding my 300 lens after I dropped my new fisheye in these rocks. Yep.....brand new. "Bounced" like a charm. Only dented the metal lens cap!
149118437-L.jpg

Here's me......taking in the view after collapsing and thanking my lucky stars I didn't break the lens. :rolleyes
149125381-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Great stuff saurora ! I would love a fisheye to add to my pack.

One day.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    (Not sure where to post these, so mods feel free to move.) I recently purchased the Tokina 10-17/3.5-4.5 DX fisheye zoom lens. Since good landscape shots mostly seem to elude me, I thought I would just like to have a "fun" lens which could be useful for people shots as well. This isn't a review of the lens itself as I haven't shot much with it since the weather conditions have not been too cooperative. While it is fun to look through, attaining a good shot is going to take some practice, that's for sure! Last weekend I shot these down at the marina. Low clouds kept moving in and out, blocking half the light and naturally, half of my sky ended up solid banks of white and the other half cloudy and blue. It's tricky especially at the beach, as the sun sets on one side of your frame and well, kinda blows it out! Oh well. Commentary always welcome. :D
    #1 This one didn't quite cut it.....too far from flowers, I suspect, although I like the circle of footprints!
    #2 I like this better....I'm not sure about the rock and flowers in the middle, but with a curved horizon...where should it go? Filled sky with blue....it was horrid.
    #3 This one seems better - I filled the sky with blue - also used a warming filter since the light was so blah.
    #4 Here's my son holding my 300 lens after I dropped my new fisheye in these rocks. Yep.....brand new. "Bounced" like a charm. Only dented the metal lens cap!
    Here's me......taking in the view after collapsing and thanking my lucky stars I didn't break the lens. rolleyes1.gif

Hey girl, what a cool lens to mess around with thumb.gif
    So the earth really is round eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif
    I'm sure your going to have a ball with that new Lens.
    Happy experimenting :D ... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Fisheyes are fun. nod.gif I got this.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    I too would love to get a fisheye lens for fun shots one day. I like these photos and think the stories behind each one just adds to the lightheartedness of them.
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Beautiful saurora!!!!! What did you spend on this lens? It's sounds like i might have fun with it.. as long as it's not too pricey! clap.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    SerratorSerrator Registered Users Posts: 227 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Cool stuff saurora! I can see using one of these would take some getting used to...you did well!

wxwax...excellent stadium pic!
    My Photo Playground:
    www.flickr.com/photos/serrator
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited May 4, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Here's me......taking in the view after collapsing and thanking my lucky stars I didn't break the lens. rolleyes1.gif
    149125381-S.jpg

Glad you or the lens didn't break. Remember, don't go walking on or near sharp boulders while looking through your viewfinder while using a fisheye. One could get mighty dizzy.

Looks like you're having lotsa fun with the new toy. :D

EDIT: Adding... I am looking at that photo again, and it looks like you fell into a very well composed shot. I like that one!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Glad you or the lens didn't break. Remember, don't go walking on or near sharp boulders while looking through your viewfinder while using a fisheye. One could get mighty dizzy.

Looks like you're having lotsa fun with the new toy. :D

EDIT: Adding... I am looking at that photo again, and it looks like you fell into a very well composed shot. I like that one!

Lol...thanks David...good advice! I collapsed emotionally not physically! Believe me, I sit down very carefully on those boulders, they are rough!!! Thanks for the compliment, too. :D
  • Options
    GTPGTP Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited May 4, 2007
    Fisheye lenses are the type that seem like a luxury until you actually own one. Then, you wonder why you didn't buy it sooner. Congrats, nice pics
  • Options
    loiloi Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2007
    interesting, have not seen anything like this before...
    "We sit together, the mountain and me, until only the mountain remains." Li Po
    http://loi.smugmug.com/gallery/3539566#199917032