Moto-ST & Grand-Am at VIR

HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited June 15, 2007 in Sports
This past weekend Virginia International Raceway played host to the Grand-Am car racing and Moto-ST motorcycle racing series. I was mainly interested in the bikes but managed to stay awake for the cars too. :wink

Nate Kern on the San Jose BMW R1200S
148088579-L-1.jpg

Former GP-rider Jimmy Filice on the Pair-A-Nines Kawasaki EX650
148365581-L.jpg

Brian Parriott on the same BMW shown above (Moto-ST is an endurance series, with at least two riders per bike)
148757972-L.jpg

Jason Edmunds on the RightsforBikers.com Ducati PS1000
148757469-L.jpg

Parriott & BMW again
148766068-L.jpg

More bikes (and cars) later . . .
Tim

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Oh Tim, that first shot is a classic. I love the context, the story, it's great. In its own way, it reminds me of the "Parting Shot" piccie on page 110 of the Nelson Piquet edition of MotorSport magazine.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Richard318Richard318 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 3, 2007
    Moto-ST & Grand-Am at VIR
    Awesome motor racing series. Good panning technique, I particularly like the photo no 3 and 4. thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif

Richard
  • HarveyMushmanHarveyMushman Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Oh Tim, that first shot is a classic. I love the context, the story, it's great. In its own way, it reminds me of the "Parting Shot" piccie on page 110 of the Nelson Piquet edition of MotorSport magazine.

Thanks, Sid. That was one of the very first images I took Saturday morning. I admit I grinned a little when I viewed it on the pc. :D
    Tim
  • TylerWTylerW Registered Users Posts: 428 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Brian Parriott on the same BMW shown above (Moto-ST is an endurance series, with at least two riders per bike)
    148757972-L.jpg

Brian Parriott races in our local roadracing club, the AFM, as well. He's a fantastic rider who can manage to wear a #46 plate with a lot of class and little pretension. Its great to see him out there on the other side of the country.

Great shots, especially the first one. thumb.gif
    http://www.tylerwinegarner.com

Canon 40d | Canon 17-40 f/4L | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Canon 70-200mm f/4 L
    edited May 3, 2007
    Thanks, all.

A few more bikes . . .

148728500-L.jpg

148729306-L.jpg

148762034-L.jpg

149015442-L.jpg
    Tim
  • tcsphototcsphoto Registered Users Posts: 101 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Good colors, sharpness. I like number 1 and 3. Good work. What lens were you using?
    Tom (tcsphoto)

I used to dream of all things Nikon, then I got the bill.
    http://www.sowdphotography.com/
    edited May 3, 2007
    tcsphoto wrote:
    Good colors, sharpness. I like number 1 and 3. Good work. What lens were you using?

Thank you. The lens is Nikon's 70-200/2.8 VR.
    Tim
    edited May 4, 2007
    Cars
    148403195-L.jpg

148401752-L.jpg

148723073-L.jpg

148537820-L.jpg

149017705-L.jpg

149072898-L.jpg

C&C is welcome, espcially re: the car photos, with which I'm not nearly as pleased. One thing that confuses me is why often one part of the car will appear out of focus, even though the lens was closed way down and DoF should be (is, in fact) deep. ne_nau.gif
    Tim
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    Here's an explanation as to why your cars may not be sharp/focused the way you want:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=30160&highlight=focus+cars
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • SamuraiJackSamuraiJack Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    Really nice photos. Not to hijack your thread, but I thought you might like to see a couple of mine from that event as well. I visit VIR a lot, but this was my first time shooting photos of an event like this. Unfortunately, mine were from the inside of the fence.

1. This is almost the exact same view as yours. thumb.gif
    78174399.jpg

2. 78174620.jpg

3. 77926756.jpg
    Wes Stewart
    Canon 20D
    580ex
    Canon 50 f1.8 MkII
    Canon 70-200 f4L
    www.pbase.com/wesstewart
    edited May 5, 2007
    Really nice photos. Not to hijack your thread, but I thought you might like to see a couple of mine from that event as well. I visit VIR a lot, but this was my first time shooting photos of an event like this. Unfortunately, mine were from the inside of the fence.

What do you mean, "unfortunately?" I'm working on getting credentialed for events later this year, particularly the bike events. I'm really getting tired of shooting from:
    148092739-M.jpg
    Tim
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    I don't see a lot to complain about, Tim.

You seem to have your panning technique down.

In the last batch, I think how much the car fills the frame is the issue. The Red Bull and the Mazda are too tight: it looks like the frame isn't quite big enough to hold them. I'm thinking if you can't get the whole car, pick the part you want and make it look exciting. The two wider shots of the Crown Royal car are caught in composition no-man's land. Not enough room to give context or tell a story, but too loose to be an agressive tight shot. The "ridge" shot is a good idea, just isn't working -- the overall beauty of the scene/composition isn't there. But you only get good by trying those over and over. I like the parked car shot, except it doesn't have a focal point. And worth noting that you were cursed by direct midday light, which is very unflattering.

If you're going to be doing this all summer, I'm intensely jealous. You're improving really fast, and you're going to become really good at this.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 6, 2007
    That first one is great as is Brian P's first.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited May 7, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    I don't see a lot to complain about, Tim.

You seem to have your panning technique down.

In the last batch, I think how much the car fills the frame is the issue. The Red Bull and the Mazda are too tight: it looks like the frame isn't quite big enough to hold them. I'm thinking if you can't get the whole car, pick the part you want and make it look exciting. The two wider shots of the Crown Royal car are caught in composition no-man's land. Not enough room to give context or tell a story, but too loose to be an agressive tight shot. The "ridge" shot is a good idea, just isn't working -- the overall beauty of the scene/composition isn't there. But you only get good by trying those over and over. I like the parked car shot, except it doesn't have a focal point. And worth noting that you were cursed by direct midday light, which is very unflattering.

If you're going to be doing this all summer, I'm intensely jealous. You're improving really fast, and you're going to become really good at this.

Thanks, Sid. Your suggestions are valid, I think. I often struggle with how tightly to compose. My inclination is to usually to keep it loose, to provide some context. I like pictures composed this way, but I'm a pretty serious racing fan. Someone interested in the photos for their own sake might want a little more "pop" from a tightly composed shot. I'm workin' on it. :D
    Tim
  • larrielarrie Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 27, 2007
    Hi guys, first time at VIR. What a great spot for photos...either side of the fence. Here are some of mine. I can see that I have a lot to learn.

Cycles: http://larre.smugmug.com/gallery/2779490/1/148244551

Rolex: http://larre.smugmug.com/gallery/2779477

Larrie
    edited June 15, 2007
    deal.gif

163108331-L.jpg

wings.gif
    Tim