Options

Sunrise in the fields

annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
edited May 7, 2007 in Landscapes
I'm not a morning person. Not at all. But the photographer in me knows that for great landscape photos you need great light, and that only comes early in the morning and late in the afternoon. So once in a while I kick myself out of bed well before dawn and go shoot some pictures.

The sunrise in early April was at about 6.30 a.m. and I made sure I didn't miss it. I was on the chosen location early enough to capture some mists that hung low above the ground before the sun rays dissipated them. I visited a few different spots and actually saw the sun come up twice. :wink

Anyway, enjoy! :D

S01-sunrise-002.jpg

S03-sunrise-007.jpg

S05-sunrise-011.jpg

S07-sunrise-014.jpg

S08-sunrise-032.jpg

S13-sunrise-056.jpg

S15-sunrise-063.jpg

S16-sunrise-066.jpg

S21-sunrise-092.jpg

S24-sunrise-094.jpg

S23-sunrise-093b.jpg

12. An example of a cool "glory" effect:
S30-sunrise-143.jpg

If you're interested, there are more photos from this particular sunrise session.

Comments welcome!

Ana
Ana
SmugMug Support Hero Manager
My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2007
    Nice sequence. I particularly like number 5 and the closeup shots of the grass with the dew.
  • Options
    annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 4, 2007
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Nice sequence. I particularly like number 5 and the closeup shots of the grass with the dew.
    Thanks, Tom! I have to go back one day soon and take some more photos of the dew. It was really magical.

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    LilleGLilleG Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    I really like #6.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    I really like #8. We dont get fog here so i never get to photograph in it.
  • Options
    toberstobers Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    #4 for me - lovely shot. It's really worth it getting up early isn't it. How's about getting up into those hills next time?
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2007
    Thanks, LilleG, gus and tobers!
    Yup, getting up early sure is worth it - if only I could do it more often. rolleyes1.gifThose hills look fine from here, but if you go there, you're in the middle of woods with no views. mwink.gif

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Nice Ana! #5 is the one shot that is the most magical for me. Love the rolling hills and the whole setting. I like your use of the fisheye in #7 and #10 is just sweet in it's simplicity. Worth getting out of bed for! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Nice Ana! #5 is the one shot that is the most magical for me. Love the rolling hills and the whole setting. I like your use of the fisheye in #7 and #10 is just sweet in it's simplicity. Worth getting out of bed for! thumb.gif

Thanks, saurora! I'm planning on getting out of bed early more often - sights like these are motivation enough! mwink.gif

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    Annnna,
    Great series! thumb.gif

#7 plain rocks! It may need a pop or two, but the composition and the use of FE/WA is great!

#10 would rock, too, but I have two complaints: it seems oversharpened, and I don't like the bokeh (maybe it's the result of oversharpening).
    Both could be cured in PP, I think, unless it's a straight-from-the-camera jpeg...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Great series! thumb.gif

#7 plain rocks! It may need a pop or two, but the composition and the use of FE/WA is great!

#10 would rock, too, but I have two complaints: it seems oversharpened, and I don't like the bokeh (maybe it's the result of oversharpening).
    Both could be cured in PP, I think, unless it's a straight-from-the-camera jpeg...
    Hey Nik, thanks for the detailed comment!
    I just got a new computer and the LCD is not calibrated yet, so the colors and/or pop might indeed be off. Do you find these photos flat and lacking in contrast and color?

As for the bokeh - I agree, it's ugly, but that's the lens (Tamron 18-200). ne_nau.gif Dew drops don't seem to agree with it. Maybe the blades in focus are over-sharpened - I'll give the photo another go in Photoshop.
    And I never ever post a photo that hasn't been post-processed. mwink.gif

Thanks again! thumb.gif

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2007
    Ana,
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Hey Nik, thanks for the detailed comment!
    I just got a new computer and the monitor is not calibrated yet, so the colors and/or pop might indeed be off. Do you find these photos flat and lacking in contrast and color?
    Not by much, but I have a gut feeling it could be better. I can play with it in PS and post here to show what I think, if you grant me a permission to do that.
    annnna8888 wrote:
    As for the bokeh - I agree, it's ugly, but that's the lens (Tamron 18-200). ne_nau.gif Dew drops don't seem to agree with it. Maybe the blades in focus are over-sharpened - I'll give the photo another go in Photoshop.

Ah, tamron... I see... Had very similar issue with my copy of tammy 70-300... for a month, then I sold it. Yeah, the glass makes all sorts of difference, both good and bad... ne_nau.gif
    annnna8888 wrote:
    And I never ever post a photo that hasn't been post-processed. mwink.gif
    Thanks again! thumb.gif
    Ana
    Good to know! thumb.gif Same here! :D

Cheers! beer.gif
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Not by much, but I have a gut feeling it could be better. I can play with it in PS and post here to show what I think, if you grant me a permission to do that.
    Sure, I'd love to, go ahead. And I'll try and calibrate the LCD as soon as possible. I wouldn't want to post-process a bunch of photos only to realize later they're all off. headscratch.gif
    Nikolai wrote:
    Ah, tamron... I see... Had very similar issue with my copy of tammy 70-300... for a month, then I sold it. Yeah, the glass makes all sorts of difference, both good and bad... ne_nau.gif
    In almost all respects, this Tamron rocks. It can't be beaten as an all-round, travel and hiking lens. It's just that bokeh is not its strong suit. ne_nau.gif

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    How about this?
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Sure, I'd love to, go ahead. And I'll try and calibrate the LCD as soon as possible. I wouldn't want to post-process a bunch of photos only to realize later they're all off. headscratch.gif
    Ana
    Layer copy, multiply with mask over field to darken the sky (the satr became visible I didn't notice originally), curves with the inverted mask (thus protecting the sky) to pop the field, Hiraloam sharpening (am 35, radious 70, threshold 5), merge all the above, finally change opacity 66% (I like Dan's approach of overdoing "it" and then addressing the final balance with the opacity).
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Layer copy, multiply with mask over field to darken the sky (the satr became visible I didn't notice originally), curves with the inverted mask (thus protecting the sky) to pop the field, Hiraloam sharpening (am 35, radious 70, threshold 5), merge all the above, finally change opacity 66% (I like Dan's approach of overdoing "it" and then addressing the final balance with the opacity).
    Nice, thanks! I like how you made the photo pop more. However, the red glow on the furrows and the hayrack is gone and your version what the scene looked like half hour later when it wasn't immediately after the first sunrays peered from behind the horizon and the light was already whitish. :D IMHO something between your version and mine would be ideal. thumb.gif You definitely put more work into it. I didn't use layers or masks for this specific photo, but I can see that I probably should have. In any case, I was striving for subtlety as there isn't much contrast and pop in the early morning light, but I really appreciate your feedback since what I'm seeing on my uncalibrated LCD isn't really accurate and flat is definitely different from subtle. Thanks again! clap.gif
    Ana
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Ana,
    annnna8888 wrote:
    ... :D IMHO something between your version and mine would be ideal. thumb.gif

Yeah, I agree. It would simply take more time and more attention.
    BTW, that huey thingie works just fine, even if the installer sucks...
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    BTW, that huey thingie works just fine, even those the installer sucks...
    Ahem, what huey thingie? You mean in the display settings where you can change the colors and gamma and stuff? Or are you talking about photoshop? ne_nau.gif You'll have to forgive me, I've been working the whole Sunday instead of relaxing, so my head may not be functioning properly anymore. rolleyes1.gif

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Pantone Huey
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Ahem, what huey thingie?
    My own huey thingie: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=60611
    Everybody's huey thingie: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=27202&highlight=huey
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Ahaaaaaaaaa, that huey thingie! 11doh.gifrofl
    I'll check it out.

Thanks!:curtsey
    Ana
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    I must say 4 &5 are my favsbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif...............but i really like them allthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif....1 small non photo question........what are the poles with the small roofs??headscratch.gif
    at first i thought they were pole barns, but the closer photos busted that myth of mine.....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    I must say 4 &5 are my favsbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif...............but i really like them allthumb.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbthumb.gif....1 small non photo question........what are the poles with the small roofs??headscratch.gif
    at first i thought they were pole barns, but the closer photos busted that myth of mine.....
    Thanks, Art! :D
    We call those things hayracks and they are used to dry hay, sometimes even grain. The one above is empty - not hay season yet - but this is what it looks like with hay on it:

40524-Zalog-16-WE.jpg

Hayracks in this form are typical for and originate in Slovenia. They can only be found here, but they have been copied in some parts of Austria and Tirol. They sure are quite photogenic, IMHO, and fit neatly into rural scenery.

Hope this explains a bit.

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    WOW the amount of work it must take to get that hay on the rack.....here we roll it into giant rolls or bale it into tight rectangles of hay (hay bales) ....some of our round bales are like those I saw in the Czech Republic, but without the plastic wrap.

Thanks for the quick replythumb.gif....they definitly are photogenic as I see them here.thumb.gifthumb
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    WOW the amount of work it must take to get that hay on the rack.....here we roll it into giant rolls or bale it into tight rectangles of hay (hay bales) ....some of our round bales are like those I saw in the Czech Republic, but without the plastic wrap.

Thanks for the quick replythumb.gif....they definitly are photogenic as I see them here.thumb.gifthumb
    You mean hay bales like these? mwink.gif

bale-7.jpg

The thing is hay doesn't dry the same way in bales and on a hayrack. It may be more work to get the hay up on hayracks, but the quality of hay is higher, as far as I know.

As for the godawful plastic ones - yeah, we have them here too: :puke1

40518-Vodice-19-WE.jpg

Ana
    Ana
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    yeah like those ones.....see americans really do not care about the quality of the food we feed the animals or actually our selves.....our hay is dries on the ground and sometimes is already begining to decay by the time it is fed...and of course all of our human food (veggies and meat and fruit) is just horrifically full of chemicals of all sorts (fertilizers and steroids).....I do believe we rank the highest in genetically engineer food stuffs and even though it is illegal for our atheletes to use steroids we feed it ti all of our animals and even us in all of our food. Have a wonderful week and can't wait to see more of Slovenia and its countrysidethumb.gifbow it is 6:00 am Central Daylight time here...gotta go to sleep.......Good night....errrr morning

• Options
    MikkoMikko Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Ana,

These are all very, very good. I especially like number 5. I also took a look at your web site and you have many great images. If you havent yet you should post some of those also.

MIK