Options

Naples, Florida

ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
edited May 9, 2007 in Journeys
I have recently returned from Naples, Florida. I have to say, everytime I have to leave, I'm about to cry. I just love Naples. I have lived and worked there for over 2 years. It's my (second) home.

I had some time to go do a little bit of shooting. I did some quick processing today, as I know It will be a few weeks if I wouldn't have done it today. Most images have very little processing though; Usually only black/white points have been set.

'Downtown' is around 5th Ave S. It has some better stores and restaurants as well as a few bars.

Every now and then, you'll find someone sleeping in a garden:
149241419-L.jpg

There are also alligators around. There are several of them, spread around the city, all dressed up differently.
149242158-L.jpg

Most houses and buildings have a light color, such as yellow or pink:
149197956-L.jpg

There are a few restaurants and shops on 5th, selling all sorts of things:
149241979-L.jpg

3rd Street also has some shopping and restaurants. and some nice houses :) I found this, but I'm not sure it turned out as nice as I hoped it would turn out:
149241554-L.jpg

Also, there is a church, I believe it's St. Ann's church:
149241810-L.jpg

Usually most people around there drive in new, expensive cars, but there are not many of these around:
149241700-L.jpg

Gardens are usually kept very tidy around downtown and the old district:
149198103-L.jpg

This is actually sort of a funny story; I was walking around with a friend, waiting for a cab, at one of the major roads in town. I turned around at some point and was looking at a small cemetery. Neither one of as had ever seen that or knew that it was there, even though it was a the intersection of two major roads.
149243239-L.jpg

Being back there, I had to meet up with some friends of course. My friend's neice (on the right) is pretending to be a baby, hence the bottle (It is not diswashing liquid of some sort, I promise). Excuse the noise, as it was shot at 1600
146382305-L.jpg

Even though I spend some time in planes, I didn't have time to take photos, or forgot to bring my camera :doh
149241220-L.jpg

Naples depot, is the old railway station.
149242616-L.jpg

It's not in use anymore, and has been turned into a small museum. The main building is still there, as well as some of the train-cars of the old atlantic coast line.
149242785-L.jpg

This is the interior of the car on the far-right, in the above shot:
149198717-L.jpg

Every now and then, there are still trains riding around:
149243007-L.jpg

Close to downtown is also 'bayfront' a marina and upscale shopping/dining place. (across the water)
149198371-L.jpg

Except for the high-rise at the shore, and the government building inland, I believe these are the only buildings that are higher than 2 stories:
149198514-L.jpg

Bayfront at night, also posted here.
148083373-L.jpg

Again close to downtown is 'Tin City'. It holds some restaurants and is located next to the dock. There are some (very touristy) shops.
148973448-L.jpg

Tin City is built next to the dock.
149242378-L.jpg

At the dock, there are pelicans everywhere, trying to find a meal.
149198607-L.jpg

Pelicans can also be found at the Naples pier (the pier on a previous trip). Fishing at the pier can be done without permits, and there are usually lots of people fishing there.
The pelicans are fairly people-friendly. See also this thread.
149198894-L.jpg

Of course, you can not go to naples, and skip the beautiful beaches :barb
149199155-L.jpg

I will have some more shots when I have some time to process them.

I hope you enjoyed my little trip through Naples as much as I did.
Questions, critique and comments are much appreciated :thumb

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited May 4, 2007
    It's a beautiful place. The railroad car and the beach are two views I
    enjoyed.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited May 4, 2007
    Nice tour, Ivar. I have never been to Naples. Looks like a charming community.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Naples looks like a beautiful community....but where are all the people??? (Did you clone them out?) Except for the R.R. conductor, gardener and your friend your shots are devoid of people. I don't know how you manage that, I can never get them out of the way when I shoot! rolleyes1.gif Lovely shots though...glad you shared with us. I like the last shot a lot....my kind of vacation! :D
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    ian408 wrote:
    It's a beautiful place. The railroad car and the beach are two views I enjoyed.
    Thanks for looking, Ian. It's funny, I've been there so many times, but this was the first time I went to see the station and the trains. I'm glad I did.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Nice tour, Ivar. I have never been to Naples. Looks like a charming community.
    It is, very much so. I love it :D Quiet, beautiful, beach, little crime, clean, relatively close to big cities. What more can you want?
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007
    saurora wrote:
    Naples looks like a beautiful community....but where are all the people??? (Did you clone them out?) Except for the R.R. conductor, gardener and your friend your shots are devoid of people. I don't know how you manage that, I can never get them out of the way when I shoot! rolleyes1.gif Lovely shots though...glad you shared with us. I like the last shot a lot....my kind of vacation! :D
    Hehe, It was starting to get low-season already, so not a lot of people around. No cloning out of people, except for one had that was sticking out of the water in the beach-shot :D Winter gets crazy though.

The beaches are really nice and clean there actually. You should go there!
  • Options
    MrTwisterMrTwister Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2007
    Thanks for shots.
    I have never been in this places.