NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited May 5, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
"Where do you want to go today?"

149367128-O.jpg
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Is this an older shot Nik that you are thinking of re-shooting? I like the idea....I'm not so sure about the moon being quite so huge. There seems to be a lot of competition between the 2 subjects moon vs. fence. It also seems too tight. Just my thoughts, which isn't much I know! :D
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Saurora,
    saurora wrote:
    Is this an older shot Nik that you are thinking of re-shooting?
    No, it's from this week.. mwink.gif
    saurora wrote:
    I like the idea....
    Thanks!thumb.gif
    saurora wrote:
    I'm not so sure about the moon being quite so huge. There seems to be a lot of competition between the 2 subjects moon vs. fence. It also seems too tight. Just my thoughts, which isn't much I know! :D
    Duly noted! deal.gif
    Thank you for your feedback! :saurora
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Wow, Nik. I love this shot. Just as it is. I like the crop, the huge moon (you do moons really well so I knew it was real), the composition - everything. It is my kind of photo.

It took me a minute, but with the title's guidance I began to think of being imprisoned , staring up at the moon and dreaming of where I would go if I were free. Then it was obvious and - for me - moving. It drew me further into the photo. If there is anything I would change it would be to make the title stronger (though I don't have any suggestions at the moment). But it works as is.

Virginia

Email
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Powerful Moon
    Nikolai wrote:
    "Where do you want to go today?"
    Nik,

My comment may be somewhat absurb; did you intend for the fence 'post' to obscure where the Apollo crew landed back in the 60's?

As I drove home from the camera club last nite, there was a big moon just clearing our local mountains, aglow with that soft, post full-moon presence. Alas, tired, no camera, and dust spots to be cleaned, I did not get a shot.

Can you please detail how you got the moon that size, yet also got the fence in the pic?

You shot is reminiscent of Moon to King's Rook on BistiArt.smugmug.com with a B&W presence v a color capture.
    http://bistiart.smugmug.com/gallery/2219599#115599418

I guess MtKR is more of a "Where did you go yesterday..." Alas, for many of my shots, LPS rules and distance seem to make it so.
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Great shot! wish I had the kind of glass it takes to capture such a clear shot of our closest celestial neighbor... but alas my piece of crap nikor 80-300 F5.6 just doesn't cut it... Any way, does the strong moon shot overwhelm the "silhouette" of the fence? don't know, just something to consider.

Winston
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    lps#5
    i really like the sillouette of the fence and even how it captures a little bit of glow on some of the links. I too, however, wonder if the moon is overpowering.

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Nice shot! But like the others said, the moon is a bit overpowering. At first I wondered why you submitted a shot of the moon for LPS #5. It took a few seconds for it to sink in that there was a silhouette of a fence in there. ne_nau.gif
    edited May 4, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Wow, Nik. I love this shot. Just as it is. I like the crop, the huge moon (you do moons really well so I knew it was real), the composition - everything. It is my kind of photo.

It took me a minute, but with the title's guidance I began to think of being imprisoned , staring up at the moon and dreaming of where I would go if I were free. Then it was obvious and - for me - moving. It drew me further into the photo. If there is anything I would change it would be to make the title stronger (though I don't have any suggestions at the moment). But it works as is.

Virginia

Virginia,
    Thank you! Glad I was able to deliver the message..
    I will work on the details (this is only an early draft) and, likely, on the title, too.
    edited May 4, 2007
    Joe,
    BistiArt wrote:
    Nik,
    My comment may be somewhat absurb; did you intend for the fence 'post' to obscure where the Apollo crew landed back in the 60's?
    In all honesty, I have no idea where that spot is.. ne_nau.gif
    BistiArt wrote:
    As I drove home from the camera club last nite, there was a big moon just clearing our local mountains, aglow with that soft, post full-moon presence. Alas, tired, no camera, and dust spots to be cleaned, I did not get a shot.
    Well, it happens every month, you'll get a couple more chances... mwink.gif
    BistiArt wrote:
    Can you please detail how you got the moon that size, yet also got the fence in the pic?
    Later, sure, at this moment I don't want to ruin the mood with the gory details :smooch

Thanks for looking! thumb.gif
    edited May 4, 2007
    Winston, Tessa, Linda
    Thank you guys for looking and commenting! iloveyou.gif

As to your general concern about having two powerful subjects and moon overpowering the fence.

Well, IMHO, diminishing either one would lower the impact.

A viewer is not supposed to notice the fence at first. The moon is "in your face". It's the primary magnet, it should draw you, make you wishing you could go there now.
    Then you'll notice that something's bothering you, prevents you from going there. And at this point you realize there is an obstacle - the darn barbed wire fence. It's kinda ghostly, but once you've noticed it you won't be able get it out of your mind. It's there, even if only in silhouette, and it won't let you go where you want to...

At least that was my intention.
    HTH
    edited May 4, 2007
    Winston,
    Great shot! wish I had the kind of glass it takes to capture such a clear shot of our closest celestial neighbor... but alas my piece of crap nikor 80-300 F5.6 just doesn't cut it...

This was taken with EF 100-400L + TC 1.4x (taped pins for AF to work at least in focus confirmation mode, I focused manually)
    It's not as good as 500/600mm prime would be, but it's close and pricewise it's an awesome ROI. deal.gif
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Looks great Nik thumb.gif
    Best regards,
    douglas
    edited May 4, 2007
    douglas wrote:
    Looks great Nik thumb.gif
    Thanks, Douglas! thumb.gif
    I've been waiting for yours..mwink.gif
  • NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    .....fun shot and I got the idea you were communicating from both the picture (first) and then when I read your title...wings.gif..certainly makes you think!!

Maureen rolleyes1.gif
    edited May 4, 2007
    NanaMo wrote:
    .....fun shot and I got the idea you were communicating from both the picture (first) and then when I read your title...wings.gif..certainly makes you think!!

Maureen rolleyes1.gif

Thanks, Maureen! thumb.gif
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    A viewer is not supposed to notice the fence at first. The moon is "in your face". It's the primary magnet, it should draw you, make you wishing you could go there now.
    Hi Nik, I do like this shot. But I think you mentioned its biggest challenge-related problem for me, the sillhouette is not the focus of the image, the moon is. Just think of your assignments.

Obviously, anything goes with the judges, though! I'd say you should reshoot, but you'd have to wait a moonth! :D
    Chris
    edited May 4, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    Hi Nik, I do like this shot. But I think you mentioned its biggest challenge-related problem for me, the sillhouette is not the focus of the image, the moon is. Just think of your assignments.

Obviously, anything goes with the judges, though! I'd say you should reshoot, but you'd have to wait a moonth! :D

Thanks! thumb.gif

Yeah, I know, I know... ne_nau.gif
    Well, as I said before - I looks for the non-challenge specific results more than for challenge compliance. I'd rather have an overall better image than a third spot in May semifinals... deal.gif
    edited May 5, 2007
    Submitted version
    With numerous slight improvements (or so I hope:-)

149574711-O.jpg
    edited May 5, 2007
    "Moonlit fence" how-to...
    BistiArt wrote:

Well, I guess it's too late now:-)

First of all, those are two shots. One of the fence, an hour before the sunset, another of the moon, about three hours after the sunset. They happened to be on the same day, just different times.
    Also different lenses are used, but that's probably not a biggie.
    The moon was shot with 100-400 and 1.4 TC, pins taped, manual focus with focus confirmation.
    Both images were brought together to a composite file as different layers.
    The fence the was resized to match the moon shot scale.
    The fence layer was then "thresholded" to achieve a 100% "silhouette" effect.
    The moon layer was mangled with several adjustment layers to achieve the look I wanted it to have.
    The toughest issue was the fence. After the threshold it was purely b/w (I mean, "purely black and white", either back, or white, no shades of gray). That was fine for the part that was against the moon, but I wanted to create a somewhat realistic glimpse on the fence surfaces that would have been moonlit if it was a real deal. Well, after a few tries i came to the following:
    1. select the fence
    2. contract the selection by 1 pixel
    3. create a new layer
    4. with the selection still active, fill it with white (thus creating a somewhat thinner inverse copy of the fence shot)
    5. Gaussian blur with 1 pixel radius to achieve smoother edges
    6. move the white layer below the black one
    7. find the center of the moon, mark it with the rulers
    8. with the white fence layer selected, activate the free transform
    9. move the central anchor of the free transform to the "center of the moon"
    10. magnify the image at one of the corners about x5..x10 times (to achieve precise control over the small mouse movements)
    11. while depressing the Alt key contract the selection by 1 pixel, hit Enter to confirm
      As the result of this step the white part will "gravitate" towards the moon center, thus creating more or less realistic "moonlit" effect.
    12. adjust opacity of this layer to make it only slightly visible
    13. double-click the layer to bring its Properties dialog
    14. for the lower Blend-If slider: alt-click the white one, bring its lower part completely to the black, then carefully move the upper part to about 10..15% from the black.
      The result of this last step is that the white "lit" parts would become less visible if brought against the brightest moon parts, yet become more distinct when opposing the darker ones or totally black sky.
    Well, that's about it...
    Hope it was worth typing..:-)
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Then you'll notice that something's bothering you, prevents you from going there. And at this point you realize there is an obstacle - the darn barbed wire fence. It's kinda ghostly, but once you've noticed it you won't be able get it out of your mind. It's there, even if only in silhouette, and it won't let you go where you want to...

At least that was my intention.
    If that was your intent, then it works very well. mwink.gif

The moon does look most impressive! I've not had much luck with moon shots yet. It always looks overexposed and when I play around with different layers I still haven't quite gotten the knack of making it look right.

Ya done good, my friend! thumb.gif
    edited May 5, 2007
    Sea of Tranquility & 1969's Apollo 11 1st Lunar Landing
    Nikolai wrote:
    Well, I guess it's too late now:-)

Hope it was worth typing..:-)
    Yep, Darth, it really was!

Thanks for the detailed PS procedures.

Apollo 11 was the 1st lunar landing, in 1969. Under manual flight control to avoid a crater, it was piloted by Neil Armstrong onto the Sea of Tranquility [Mare Tranquilitatis]. To add to this fascinating history;

"Thats one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_11

Tranquilitatis is noted below by the Apollo 11 arrow.

Innovative creation, Nik!

Please keep 'em coming...
    Joe

[/FONT]
    edited May 5, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    If that was your intent, then it works very well. mwink.gif

The moon does look most impressive! I've not had much luck with moon shots yet. It always looks overexposed and when I play around with different layers I still haven't quite gotten the knack of making it look right.

Ya done good, my friend! thumb.gif

Thank you! thumb.gif

Shooting the moon is, actually, VERY simple. I mean, to get it up close you obviously need a long glass, and it's better have IS or mounted on a very good tripod. But exposure-wise...

See, there is this "Sunny 16" rule, i.e. "when sunny, shoot ISO 100, 1/100 sec, f/16".
    Guess what: full moon is a sunlit object...deal.gif
    But since it's not exactly white, it may be beneficial to open the aperture up a bit and shoot maybe f/11.

From this set you can make further adjustments: increase shutter speed and close the aperture, or vice versa, etc.

Just don't trust your auto mode, since cameras are easily fooled, that is unless you can fill the whole viewfinder with the moon surface or use a spot meter (which works pretty well on 30D)

HTH
    edited May 5, 2007
    For what it is worth, I like the first version you posted showing more of the fence better than the second version. It strikes me as more coherent as a photograph. It conveys the feeling of being fenced in better. The revision seems over processed to me. Just my 2 cents worth. Either way, I still love the photo! iloveyou.gif

Virginia

Email
    edited May 5, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    For what it is worth, I like the first version you posted showing more of the fence better than the second version. It strikes me as more coherent as a photograph. It conveys the feeling of being fenced in better. The revision seems over processed to me. Just my 2 cents worth. Either way, I still love the photo! iloveyou.gif

Virginia
    Virginia, thank you for the feedback, really appreciate it!
    I decided for this tighter crop since the theme is "silhouette", not the moon. This way I get more of the silhouette (I hope so, at least).
    Cheers! 1drink.gif
    edited May 5, 2007
    I understand your reasoning, Nik, but to me having more of the fence in the first one and a somewhat less contrasty moon emphasizes the fence better and grabs my interest. I am sympathetic with your desire to make the photo less aout the moon given the way the themes are being interpreted by the judges. I'm just not sure you have succeeded. ne_nau.gif

Virginia

Email
  • NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you! thumb.gif

Shooting the moon is, actually, VERY simple. I mean, to get it up close you obviously need a long glass, and it's better have IS or mounted on a very good tripod. But exposure-wise...

See, there is this "Sunny 16" rule, i.e. "when sunny, shoot ISO 100, 1/100 sec, f/16".
    Guess what: full moon is a sunlit object...deal.gif
    But since it's not exactly white, it may be beneficial to open the aperture up a bit and shoot maybe f/11.

From this set you can make further adjustments: increase shutter speed and close the aperture, or vice versa, etc.

Just don't trust your auto mode, since cameras are easily fooled, that is unless you can fill the whole viewfinder with the moon surface or use a spot meter (which works pretty well on 30D)

HTH

Great information! All new to me, thanks...still love the picture....wings.gif

Maureen
    edited May 5, 2007
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I understand your reasoning, ....
    I'm just not sure you have succeeded. ne_nau.gif

Virginia

Neither am I, neither am I mwink.gif
    I guess we'll see... Or maybe I use some other moon-based idea mwink.gif
    edited May 5, 2007
    Maureen,
    NanaMo wrote:
    Great information! All new to me, thanks...still love the picture....wings.gif

Maureen
    Thanks!thumb.gif
    Sometimes those the old timers tricks can be still useful! mwink.gif
    edited May 5, 2007
    One Shot Capture of Moon Rise and Sunset w Long Lens
    Nikolai wrote:
    Thank you! thumb.gif

HTH
    Hey Nik,

Have you done the moon against a regular foreground object like a Bisti Hoodoo or equivalent?

Its a little more simple to do 2 days before full moon vice the day before when there seems to be little time between moonrise and sunset and the High Dynamic Range grows larger.

In terms of timing and HDR settings using a spot meter have you either
    done it?
    or
    know of a good reference on the web?

TIA
    Joe

[/FONT]
  • StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    Wow, you're a patient person, Nikolai! :-O