# 5 re-take...

NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
edited May 6, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
...as suggested by Liquid Air and Photogmomma I went back to re-take my picture and found this horse which had just come over the ridge, stopped and posed for me! Here is the horse and the windmill/wagon re-take.....did I enter the best one? How about the title?????

Your opinions are welcomed!! :bow
Maureen

149348388-L-1.jpg

149348642-L.jpg

149348618-L.jpg

:scratch :bow :scratch :bow

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    NanaMo wrote:
    ...as suggested by Liquid Air and Photogmomma I went back to re-take my picture and found this horse which had just come over the ridge, stopped and posed for me! Here is the horse and the windmill/wagon re-take.....did I enter the best one? How about the title?????

Your opinions are welcomed!! bowdown.gif
    Maureen

headscratch.gifbowdown.gifheadscratch.gifbowdown.gif

I like the horsie and the sepia windmill. Horsie is bigger and hence more powerfull. Maybe even tighter crop on it?
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Much improved.

The wagon needs better separation from the background, at least on this screen. It may just be a gamma issue, but I think the mountains need to be at least half a stop brighter for the wagon to pop. It is possible you can get that separation with curves in Photoshop if you draw them carefully. If not, it may be a masking job. I also find the balance to be a bit off in this shot. The wagon should either be a featured element or it should be cropped out. As a featured element I think it is too close to the edge of the frame. Particularly for a contest like this where the final submission is only 800 pixels, you have the freedom to shoot wide and crop later.

As for the horse, I think you try popping the contrast in the sky. I like the color of the sky, but I don't think it holds enough interest as is to justify the amount of real estate it gets. I also find the position of the horse in the frame to be kind of "neither here nor there." I think it is worth playing with crops to see if you can find one where the horse sits a bit more comfortably in the frame. A am afraid that is a bit vague, but it is the best I have to describe what I see.
  • NanaMoNanaMo Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    I like the horsie and the sepia windmill. Horsie is bigger and hence more powerfull. Maybe even tighter crop on it?

Thanks, Nik....will try cropping and see what I get. bowdown.gif

maureen
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    My favorite is the sepia windmill. I agree that with the current composition, the wagon doesn't add much to the other shot... it mostly blends in with the background. I don't see an easy way to fix that and still get mountains and all of the windmill in, though!

I think the horse suffers a little bit because there's no separation in the back legs, it just looks a bit odd to me. Very pretty, though.
    Chris
    edited May 4, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Much improved.

The wagon needs better separation from the background, at least on this screen. It may just be a gamma issue, but I think the mountains need to be at least half a stop brighter for the wagon to pop. It is possible you can get that separation with curves in Photoshop if you draw them carefully. If not, it may be a masking job.

As for the horse, I think you try popping the contrast in the sky. I like the color of the sky, but I don't think it holds enough interest as is to justify the amount of real estate it gets.

Thanks for the suggestions....back to the CS3 drawing board....to see if I can make these suggestions work.....ne_nau.gifrolleyes1.gif

That is actually the the color of the sky last night!! Will try to make it 'pop' a little more.

Thanks,
    Maureen

wings.gif
    edited May 4, 2007
    ChrisJ wrote:
    My favorite is the sepia windmill. I agree that with the current composition, the wagon doesn't add much to the other shot... it mostly blends in with the background. I don't see an easy way to fix that and still get mountains and all of the windmill in, though!

I think the horse suffers a little bit because there's no separation in the back legs, it just looks a bit odd to me. Very pretty, though.

Thanks, Chris.....the horse was obviously moving and that is the only pic I was able to capture. clap.gif

Maureen
    edited May 4, 2007
    LiquidAir wrote:
    Much improved.

The wagon needs better separation from the background, at least on this screen. It may just be a gamma issue, but I think the mountains need to be at least half a stop brighter for the wagon to pop. It is possible you can get that separation with curves in Photoshop if you draw them carefully. If not, it may be a masking job. I also find the balance to be a bit off in this shot. The wagon should either be a featured element or it should be cropped out. As a featured element I think it is too close to the edge of the frame. Particularly for a contest like this where the final submission is only 800 pixels, you have the freedom to shoot wide and crop later.

As for the horse, I think you try popping the contrast in the sky. I like the color of the sky, but I don't think it holds enough interest as is to justify the amount of real estate it gets. I also find the position of the horse in the frame to be kind of "neither here nor there." I think it is worth playing with crops to see if you can find one where the horse sits a bit more comfortably in the frame. A am afraid that is a bit vague, but it is the best I have to describe what I see.

Liquid Air, Nik.....bigger (cropped), brighter.....better????????

149501669-L.jpg
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    NanaMo wrote:
    Better! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    Freakin' nice man. (The latest horse one)
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • deeyadeeya Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    I love the changes with the horse... the one thing that bothered me about it at first... and still.. is the downhill angle of it (and the ground).. It might just be me.. but I'd like to see it so the ground is just a bit straighter...so the horse doesn't look like it's headed quite so much downhill. Just my 2 cents.
    Denise

http://deeya.smugmug.com
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2007
    deeya wrote:
    I love the changes with the horse... the one thing that bothered me about it at first... and still.. is the downhill angle of it (and the ground).. It might just be me.. but I'd like to see it so the ground is just a bit straighter...so the horse doesn't look like it's headed quite so much downhill. Just my 2 cents.

I dunno I kinda like that part about it. If I was to do any change, I'd clone out that piece of cloud that's next to the ground. Make it a bit cleaner.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    The new version pops much better. Good job. The downward angle doesn't bother me.
    Chris
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    The new version by far is the best. A nice photo! thumb.gif
    edited May 5, 2007
    Nik, Liquid Air, chrisJ, Pyroprints, Deeya, Richters -- thank you one and all!!!! iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.giflust

I am now working on replacing the picture.....some troubles but I am sure since I am new at this it is just operator error headscratch.gifbut will figure it out.

Thanks again!!! wings.gif

Maureen
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    Chutzpah
    NanaMo wrote:
    Maybe the back legs work together???
    After all, we humans lack a lock on all ailments...

Seriously, the pop helped as did the crop. Now the shot, which is clean and crisp, has more chutzpah!
    So did the enchanted and emphasized light...

Way to go
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
    edited May 5, 2007
    Freakin' nice man. (The latest horse one)

iloveyou.gif ...be still my heart!!
    edited May 5, 2007
    BistiArt wrote:
    Maybe the back legs work together???
    After all, we humans lack a lock on all ailments...

Seriously, the pop helped as did the crop. Now the shot, which is clean and crisp, has more chutzpah!
    So did the enchanted and emphasized light...

Way to go

Joe.....from your lips to the judges ears!!!

rolleyes1.gifiloveyou.gif
  • StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    I love the horse photo. The hair of the tail gives great motion.

That's a fabulous windmill. If I lived near it, I be shooting it all the time.
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Horse--nice image

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker