My new Pany L1

medallionmedallion Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited May 7, 2007 in Cameras
I am the proud owner of a Panasonic DMC-L1 w/ a Leica 14-50mm f2.8-3.5. The is one fine kit. I enjoy the traditional controls. I tried many other DSLR's and this is the one for me. Because I am an old timer, I picked up a 4/3 to Nikon adapter. Now my old Nikon F lenses work great. Using my old Nikkor 50mm gives me at 100mm at f1.4. Wow head shots in the dark!:bow

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited May 4, 2007
    medallion wrote:
    I am the proud owner of a Panasonic DMC-L1 w/ a Leica 14-50mm f2.8-3.5. The is one fine kit. I enjoy the traditional controls. I tried many other DSLR's and this is the one for me. Because I am an old timer, I picked up a 4/3 to Nikon adapter. Now my old Nikon F lenses work great. Using my old Nikkor 50mm gives me at 100mm at f1.4. Wow head shots in the dark!bowdown.gif

Cool camera! thumb.gif

Wierd on-board flash? ne_nau.gif

How do you like the live preview? Is it an asset?

What do you think about low light performance in this camera?

How well does the stabilization work in the "kit" lens?

Thanks,
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • harjttharjtt Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Hi Akiva

Nice buy mate ! I'm still hankering after the L1, but at the moment I'm sitting tight with my newish E1.

Hi Ziggy

I don't own the L1 just yet but Panaleica's IS is very good. The lens its self is a cracker and esp for the 28-100mm FOV. The nearest equivalent Canon glass is the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM . Here's a few quotes

dpreviews of the L1:

"Nobody can doubt the quality of the kit Panasonic / Leica lens, contrasty and sharp with a very usable zoom range and excellent image stabilization."

Jeff's review of the DMC L1 (Dcresource)

"The Leica kit lens is a work of art, with good sharpness across the frame, and built-in optical image stabilization. It is -- by far -- the best kit lens out there, and I'm sure it's mostly why the camera costs so much."

Luminous Landscapes L1 Field Report:

"In any event, this is the real deal. It's labeled as a Leica optic, though it's manufactured by Panasonic in Japan. Since major German lens makers have been buying optical subassemblies, aspheric elements and even entire lens assemblies from the major Japanese houses for many years (yes, including Panasonic), the fact that the lens doesn't have Made in Germany engraved on it is of little actual import. (Leica engineers are apparently resident in the Panasonic factory, monitoring manufacturing).

Having taken many hundreds of frames with this lens during my week in Iceland I can tell you that this is one first-rate optic. No formal tests are needed to let me know that this lens is sharp, contrasty, and quite free of any serious aberrations – at least those visible without conducting a formal test suite."

The on board flash, once you see and use it is just great and makes you wonder why nobody thought it before Panaleica came out with it for the LC1. They've specifically kept the bounce flash for their top of the range cameras which is a shame.

Can't comment on low light performance with the kit 14-50 Leica D but I'm looking at the Leica D 25mm f1.4 and from shots that I've that lens is tack sharp even wide open at f1.4 and in low light with the L1 works very well, although we're looking at an $800 price for it. Here's some sample shots taken with both the DMC L1 and an Oly E1:

DMC L1 + Leica D 25mm f1.4 (mainly wihtout flash)

http://elitephoto9.zenfolio.com/p765162782/?photo=h36045324#754515047

Oly E1 + Lecia D 25mm f1.4

http://www.flickr.com/photos/tengsama/tags/summilux/

Cheers

HarjTT

thumb.gif:D
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    medallion wrote:
    I am the proud owner of a Panasonic DMC-L1 w/ a Leica 14-50mm f2.8-3.5. The is one fine kit. I enjoy the traditional controls. I tried many other DSLR's and this is the one for me. Because I am an old timer, I picked up a 4/3 to Nikon adapter. Now my old Nikon F lenses work great. Using my old Nikkor 50mm gives me at 100mm at f1.4. Wow head shots in the dark!bowdown.gif

Congrats :) Now lets see some photos! :D