Options

Mayor Photo Shoot

shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
edited May 7, 2007 in People
These are some photos of our Mayor. I submit them to the publisher of a state magazine (IQ Idaho) next week. The article is about the transition of our city from an old west culture to the growing professional city we have now. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

149675272-L.jpg

149675462-L.jpg

149675710-L.jpg

149675902-L.jpg

149675570-L.jpg

149676135-L.jpg

This shot will be used for the cover. I will put him standing on a dirt road with old city buildings on the left and new buildings on the right. The black background is a temporary background.
149676299-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    Ummm...wow...given what you are shooting for I really like the concepts and compositions you put together - the series really conveys the ideas. Very flattering work. The cover shot is especially well done.

For the first pic, I understand your post-processing but I would like to see more detail around the outline of his head - it really pops his face but I think his dark hair dissapearing into the dark background is a little distracting.

- Mike
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717
    http://2H2OPhoto.smugmug.com
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    Very impressive...how did you do the smoke coming out of the gun? Love that shot!!
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2007
    Here is the Cover Shot
    Spent the afternoon shooting buildings and assembling an image. This is what I am submitting to the editor for the magazine cover. Your critique now will be kinder than those from the public. Thanks for your eye.

149747583-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    Very impressive...how did you do the smoke coming out of the gun? Love that shot!!

Learned this a couple of weeks ago. On an individual layer, draw a random semi-smoke shaped image and feather the edge. Fill it with white. Use your eraser with an approximate 30% and erase some of the image and lighten other area. Run the "wave" filter on the layer. Under Edit, Select, "Fade Wave" and use 50%. Repeat multiple times until you like the image. Good luck.
  • Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    I like your cover shot. It looks like some of the promotional stuff for the SciFi show "Eureka" which are done to be just a tad quirky. My one suggestion would be to work with the horizons of both background shots a bit. If you are going to tilt them, make sure that they are both tilted the same amount in opposite directions. The angles don't seem to match at the moment. The left has a bit more tilt than the right.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    Just a note for the street scene, the older street seems to run under the buildings. Makes them look like they're floating or something, to me.
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    The buildings on the left don't say "Old West" to me. I do like the rest of it though.

You need some old wood buildings. Maybe a movie set or something.....
  • Options
    gavingavin Registered Users Posts: 411 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Great shots. Wow!! The second shot is awsome except its garbage because you have him looking out of the frame. If he was looking towards the middle of the frame. PERFECT. IMO.

Awsome Stuff!
    D700 and some glass

www.gjohnstone.com
  • Options
    christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Lovely work. Great lighting.

The body language (arms crossed) is a bit repetitive - maybe some with arms 'doing something else'

Good work though.
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    Thanks for all of your comments. I have tweaked the cover shot based on your good input and have the following:

149846733-L.jpg

Emailed the editor. He likes it. (whew!!)

Christulk, thanks for the attention to arms crossed. I went back through the shoot and you are right, nearly 70% of the shoot was with his arms crossed. Looks like I need some new skills.

Thanks to each who commented, I learned a lot on this project.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    shatch wrote:
    Learned this a couple of weeks ago. On an individual layer, draw a random semi-smoke shaped image and feather the edge. Fill it with white. Use your eraser with an approximate 30% and erase some of the image and lighten other area. Run the "wave" filter on the layer. Under Edit, Select, "Fade Wave" and use 50%. Repeat multiple times until you like the image. Good luck.

Got it..thanks...did you attend TEXAS SCHOOL?
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    Got it..thanks...did you attend TEXAS SCHOOL?

I didn't. Why?
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    Texas School was just a couple of weeks ago...and you mentioned you learned this a couple of weeks ago.

Here is the link.

http://www.tppa.org/school.htm

This was a great school I met so many wonderful people from all over the nation. Over 995 people attended (39 states & 4 countries).

I took the Photoshop class which was very good. I'm not sure I retained the information that was taught to me...By day 3...I was brain drained. The class last 5 days. On the last day, they give away over $30,000 in prizes.
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Great set of photos fit for a state Governor!

On the globe map on the wall behind him, you cropped out the state of Idaho. naughty.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    Thanks to all of you who were bold enough and took the time to share your thoughts and point out tweaking items. Your opinions, compliments, and critiques are greatly appreciated. It is a great way to learn.

evorywhere...great catch on the map being cropped short of Idaho. Oh the details!!