Please Help with Real Digital Unsharp Masking - Jerry Lodriguss?

xendless xurbiaxendless xurbia Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
edited May 6, 2007 in Finishing School
Hey All!

I was looking over the article in the link below, and following the steps on at a time. Thought I'd give it a shot to see how this technique works. I made sure to read everything correctly, but when I get to step 4, I mess up somehow...When I choose the subtract option, I get a black picture instead of the final result.

What am I doing wrong?

http://www.astropix.com/HTML/J_DIGIT/USM.HTM

Has anyone else tried this? Can anyone guide me in a more detailed step-by-step on how to run this method?

Thanks,

Jason

Comments

• xendless xurbiaxendless xurbia Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Well after a quick visual tutorial over Private Messaging with gefillmore(thank you veeeeeeeeeeeery much for your time and help,) I've decided to post the step-by-step demonstration.

Step 1

Open an image that you would like to sharpen. (all color correction is put aside for this example.)

486851069_ee9cb96e10_o.jpg

Step 2

Image - Duplicate

Filter - Blur - Gaussian Blur (Radius - 5.5)

Image - Adjust - Contrast/Brightness (-30 each)

486851083_757213dee2_o.jpg

Step 3

Go back to the original image

Then -
    Image - Apply Image
    Change source to the copy then in the Blending pulldown to Subtract. (leave all other values alone)

486851089_268cac7886_o.jpg

Your image will be very very dark. The next step is to open the Levels adjustment box, and drag the white point to the right to lighten the image to a desired level.

486851091_29697fa741_o.jpg

Final result (image "sharpenned" to the extreme for demonstration purposes).

486851095_6e85608842_o.jpg
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 6, 2007
    you have done well, grasshopper!-