LPS#5--Theme Worthy?

tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited May 10, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
O.K. Shay's thread is making me wonder about my entry. In the past contests, my entries have been critiqued as not being pertinent to the theme ( even though I thought they were). I looked up translucent in my edition of a webster's dictionary: letting light pass through, semi-transparent. I am assuming my image (specifically the scarf) would be considered semi-transparent. I really like the image and would like to leave it. However I don't want to "lose" because the judges did not think it was theme worthy. What do you guys think?

148706363-L.jpg

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
----Ruth Ann Schubacker

Comments

• StrikeslipStrikeslip Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2007
    My take is that the veil is an important component of the shot, for sure. There's no question in my mind that this is a good fit for the challenge. But I'm new here, though I've been shooting for challenges for years. headscratch.gif
  • tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Strikeslip wrote:
    My take is that the veil is an important component of the shot, for sure. There's no question in my mind that this is a good fit for the challenge. But I'm new here, though I've been shooting for challenges for years. headscratch.gif

Thank you for your input!

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Annie222Annie222 Registered Users Posts: 69 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    I think it fits the theme, however it makes me wonder what shes looking at ?
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Everyone I've shown the entry thread to loves your image. I feel it's one of the strongest there at the moment. I think the scarf works, although it is a little on the transparent side (as opposed to truly translucent). It is a beautiful photo, and the title makes me think she's not looking at anything in particular, but maybe thinking of her grandmother.

Just MHO. I wish you luck!
    Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    We can't predict how the judges are going to understand the definitions of "silhouette" versus "translucent". All we can do is submit what we believe is our best effort.

In LPS #4 there were some entries that were obviously artifical in nature to me where Shay had commented that he didn't get the connection. The judges are only human and what they select depends on what their perception of the theme is.

You have a very strong composition entered. I would not change a thing. mwink.gif
    edited May 6, 2007
    Annie222 wrote:
    I think it fits the theme, however it makes me wonder what shes looking at ?

Thanks for your opinion. She's remembering her grandmother.

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker
    edited May 6, 2007
    Everyone I've shown the entry thread to loves your image. I feel it's one of the strongest there at the moment. I think the scarf works, although it is a little on the transparent side (as opposed to truly translucent). It is a beautiful photo, and the title makes me think she's not looking at anything in particular, but maybe thinking of her grandmother.

Just MHO. I wish you luck!
    Emily

My concern is that the scarf would be considered transparent as opposed to semi-transparent (wich is one of the definitions of translucent). You are right, she's thinking of/ remembering her grandmother. Thanks for your comments!

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker
    edited May 6, 2007
    richtersl wrote:
    We can't predict how the judges are going to understand the definitions of "silhouette" versus "translucent". All we can do is submit what we believe is our best effort.

In LPS #4 there were some entries that were obviously artifical in nature to me where Shay had commented that he didn't get the connection. The judges are only human and what they select depends on what their perception of the theme is.

You have a very strong composition entered. I would not change a thing. mwink.gif

You are absolutely right--we can not predict how the judges will interpret the theme definition(s). I am just over thinking my entry--as alwaysheadscratch.gif. I really like the image, and feel it is pretty good. I think I'll leave it, and just see what happens.

Thanks for your input!

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    tlee wrote:
    O.K. Shay's thread is making me wonder about my entry. In the past contests, my entries have been critiqued as not being pertinent to the theme ( even though I thought they were). I looked up translucent in my edition of a webster's dictionary: letting light pass through, semi-transparent. I am assuming my image (specifically the scarf) would be considered semi-transparent. I really like the image and would like to leave it. However I don't want to "lose" because the judges did not think it was theme worthy. What do you guys think?

148706363-S.jpg

Personally, I think it's a haunting, captivating image. I'd be proud to have created it. And yes the scarf very much meets my definition of Translucent as well. But the image as a whole, when I look at it, the first thing that comes to mind is neither silhouette nor translucent.

It is sorrow, deep deep sorrow.

The Veil is like a supporting actress in the drama of the shot. But hey, as we've said, we can't predict how the judges will take it. An image that they just can't get out of their heads (like I couldn't get yours out of mine since I saw it) may just be the ticket to making their top ten list.

(I'm hoping that by commiting these thoughts to storage that I can now get your image out of my mind. :D )
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
    edited May 10, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    Personally, I think it's a haunting, captivating image. I'd be proud to have created it. And yes the scarf very much meets my definition of Translucent as well. But the image as a whole, when I look at it, the first thing that comes to mind is neither silhouette nor translucent.

It is sorrow, deep deep sorrow.

The Veil is like a supporting actress in the drama of the shot. But hey, as we've said, we can't predict how the judges will take it. An image that they just can't get out of their heads (like I couldn't get yours out of mine since I saw it) may just be the ticket to making their top ten list.

(I'm hoping that by commiting these thoughts to storage that I can now get your image out of my mind. :D )

The greatest compliment I could receive, is yours. It is good to know that an image of mine speaks to someone else's soul. Thank you so much!

www.studioTphotos.com

----Ruth Ann Schubacker