Ebay XTi Kits, OK?

Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
edited May 8, 2007 in Cameras
The 10 or so piece kits on Ebay that include everything w/ the XTi.

These aren't a scam or anything, right? I am dying for one of these soo friggin bad, it hurts.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=Rebel+XTi&category0=

Just figured I'd ask the pros first. Ritz Camera wants abotu $1200 for the XTi Body and a two lense kit. Ebay is considerably cheaper and with more goodies.
Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com

Comments

• 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Yeah, I'd stay away from those ebay kits as the accessories are basically crap. Like Ziggy suggested, buy from likes of B&H, Adorama, or KEH and save yourself a pile of money.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    A bit of different info......I have bought all of my digital cameras on Ebay....one dealer was selling absolute junk in the kit......but I found out when trying to contact him/her/it that no answer would ever come so I emailed ebay and they were gone.....Now Ihave bought 2 dslr's from Cameta Camera (Amityville I do believe) and they have been fantastic....I have never had to call to confirm an order, so no hard sell tactics and i did not buy kits as I already new what lens I (thought I) wanted and actually bought it first, 9before camera)......I have tons offebay and have never had a prob that was resolved very quickly......I do not buy memory cards occ ebay as there is so much counterfetting going on....I buy from new egg and have had again no probs.....

Basically Ebay is good if you question the sellars first and never never toss an email from any sellar until the transaction is closed and NEVER NEVER give feedback until you are satisfied with transaction.

I have bought and returned several LowePro bags from an ebay retailer and he just says thanks for trying us.....as I told him .....If my local stores would bring in these bags I would not have to do this...but they want to "special Order" them and in this town you cannot return a "special order".....for a town of almost 400K people it is reallu like Po dunct no where's ville...............man:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    We have a ritz camera dealer back in CT. THey also have a website. Not thinking if their prices are the best..

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/541161261.htm?bct=t13024003%3Bcidigitalslr%3Bciall-digital-cameras
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com
  • Mike02Mike02 Registered Users Posts: 321 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    I'll second Christian and Ziggy's comments, I would go with the major retailers like Adorama and B&H, because you will save money in the long run with better products, and better service. Plus they cant just disappear if something goes wrong :P
    "The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it."
    - Ansel Adams.
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    say no to Ebay cameras.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Art Scott wrote:
    A bit of different info......I have bought all of my digital cameras on Ebay....one dealer was selling absolute junk in the kit......but I found out when trying to contact him/her/it that no answer would ever come so I emailed ebay and they were gone.....Now Ihave bought 2 dslr's from Cameta Camera (Amityville I do believe) and they have been fantastic....I have never had to call to confirm an order, so no hard sell tactics and i did not buy kits as I already new what lens I (thought I) wanted and actually bought it first, 9before camera)......I have tons offebay and have never had a prob that was resolved very quickly......I do not buy memory cards occ ebay as there is so much counterfetting going on....I buy from new egg and have had again no probs.....

Basically Ebay is good if you question the sellars first and never never toss an email from any sellar until the transaction is closed and NEVER NEVER give feedback until you are satisfied with transaction.

I have bought and returned several LowePro bags from an ebay retailer and he just says thanks for trying us.....as I told him .....If my local stores would bring in these bags I would not have to do this...but they want to "special Order" them and in this town you cannot return a "special order".....for a town of almost 400K people it is reallu like Po dunct no where's ville...............man:D

Good info there. I also have purchased through Cameta Camera before. They even made good on a screw up (sent me a MMC card instead of a CF--fixed that with no argument).

So, if you really want ot go ebay, do a lot of homework on the seller first. From what I've seen pretty much all those "kits" are not worth it. All the extras are junk and not worth even bothering with. But, the safer route is to stick with reputable dealers & find a good deal amongst them (B&H, Adorama, Sigma4less, Buydig, Beach Camera, KEH, Calumet, Samy's Canoga, and a few others I'm forgetting). Also check the store on resellerratings. BTW, if you can avoid Ritz, do so; they are overpriced & tend to push high-margin junk accessories (no-name filters, tripods, etc--just like the kit junk on the ebay auctions).