Options

Manual Display Calibration in OS X

PamelaPamela Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
edited May 7, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Due to wage cuts at hubbys work,(4yrs in a row)
Im stuck between a rock and hard place.
I have been saving for an extra camera body, Calibration device etc, in which
I have to put off again. :rolleyes

I have a issue with monitor colors being off, this I know.
Will it help if I change monitor to 2.2 Gamma / D65 white point,

or will it make matters worse?

Thank you

Pamela
Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    Try manual calibration with adobe gamma (if you are on windows) or with the Apple display color preferences tool if you are on a Mac.

My experience is that you will get pretty good results this way. It doesn't give you that same warm and fuzzy feeling of having a machine put you on the same page as it's putting everyone else, but then my experience with the Huey was mixed at best.

Manual calibration a first order fix and it's free.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    rutt wrote:
    Try manual calibration with adobe gamma (if you are on windows) or with the Apple display color preferences tool if you are on a Mac.

My experience is that you will get pretty good results this way. It doesn't give you that same warm and fuzzy feeling of having a machine put you on the same page as it's putting everyone else, but then my experience with the Huey was mixed at best.

Manual calibration a first order fix and it's free.

Crucial to doing this on a Mac is setting the gamma to 2.2.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Crucial to doing this on a Mac is setting the gamma to 2.2.

Update:

While attempting to manually calibrate I noticed that, I sometime in the past had
    all ready changed Gamma to 2.2 / and to D65 white point.

Is there any thing else I can do?
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    Update:

While attempting to manually calibrate I noticed that, I sometime in the past had
    all ready changed Gamma to 2.2 / and to D65 white point.

Is there any thing else I can do?

No, I don't think so. The OSX calibration (I'm assuming you're on a Mac) is pretty good, but not great. Make sure you are squinting when you adjust each setting. The apple in the box should completely disappear. Take your time, too.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    No, I don't think so. The OSX calibration (I'm assuming you're on a Mac) is pretty good, but not great. Make sure you are squinting when you adjust each setting. The apple in the box should completely disappear. Take your time, too.

David & rutt

Im attemping manual calibration , (expert Choice) the slider on the right doesnt have a point to click from like on the left.

how do I know which way to move it
    ok i have to figure out why I get a upload error when trying to upload this png
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    My png wont upload, I keep getting," upload error"
    the png is only 324X200.
    I wanted to able to show the area Im having trouble with.
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    David & rutt

Im attemping manual calibration , (expert Choice) the slider on the right doesnt have a point to click from like on the left.

how do I know which way to move it
    ok i have to figure out why I get a upload error when trying to upload this png

The one on the left goes up and down only. This gets you in the ballpark. The one on the right moves in all directions and is for fine tuning. The first is for overall gamma/brightness/whatever. The second fine-tunes the hue. When you're done, and you're squinting, the apple should be completely gone.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    My png wont upload, I keep getting," upload error"
    the png is only 324X200.
    I wanted to able to show the area Im having trouble with.

Is it less than 146.5 KB?

I keep a private gallery on SmugMug that no one can see, but I can link images like this. Just a thought.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Is it less than 146.5 KB?

I keep a private gallery on SmugMug that no one can see, but I can link images like this. Just a thought.

I dont remember what size the png was at this time.
    I did manually calibrate using the assistant, and wow that is very hard to do.
    I kept thinking I needed to move my monitor angle. I so tired of reading about this issue , it seems to me that companys would get this straight, so
    everyone would have the same colors.
    At this point I think later I will try it again to see if I get the same results, my eyes are taking a break eek7.gif , I still wouldnt know if it is correct or not in the end. From what I have been reading everywhere , Im just one, of many with this issue.
    Thankyou for your help. :D
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    I dont remember what size the png was at this time.
    I did manually calibrate using the assistant, and wow that is very hard to do.
    I kept thinking I needed to move my monitor angle. I so tired of reading about this issue , it seems to me that companys would get this straight, so
    everyone would have the same colors.
    At this point I think later I will try it again to see if I get the same results, my eyes are taking a break eek7.gif , I still wouldnt know if it is correct or not in the end. From what I have been reading everywhere , Im just one, of many with this issue.
    Thankyou for your help. :D

That's why I was saying to take your time. Do a few apples, take a walk. mwink.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    The one on the left goes up and down only. This gets you in the ballpark. The one on the right moves in all directions and is for fine tuning. The first is for overall gamma/brightness/whatever. The second fine-tunes the hue. When you're done, and you're squinting, the apple should be completely gone.
    Just tried it, and got a lovely magenta tint to my grays. Back to the drawing board. Is it possible to delete old profiles?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Is it possible to delete old profiles?

ne_nau.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    ne_nau.gif
    Yabbut the delete button doesn't light up for the new profile I made. Doesn't matter, if I recalibrate and use the same title, it overwrites the old version.

My columns are a lovely shade of mauve right now. This is harder than it seems.

150258555-L.jpg
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    Sid,

Did you change the name, or use a name for that profile that was already there, i.e. a name that OSX uses for the profiles that ship with it?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Sid,

Did you change the name, or use a name for that profile that was already there, i.e. a name that OSX uses for the profiles that ship with it?

The second line is my second and third attempts. I came up with the title (creative, huh?)

The fourth line is my first attempt, when all I did was change the gamma to 2.2. The title is the default title it offered up.

As you know, the third line is the default title and profile.

150265687-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Yabbut the delete button doesn't light up for the new profile I made. Doesn't matter, if I recalibrate and use the same title, it overwrites the old version.
    My columns are a lovely shade of mauve right now. This is harder than it seems.

If you can't delete a profile from the panel, you can always delete from actual folder or subfolder in Computer/Library/ColorSync/Profiles. You can also do advanced renaming and profile management in the ColorSync Utility.

The screen shot looks dead neutral gray on my Mac PowerBook screen (calibrated with an Eye-One).
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    colourbox wrote:

The screen shot looks dead neutral gray on my Mac PowerBook screen (calibrated with an Eye-One).
    Really?

It looks to me like everything has a lavender tint, especially when compared to the original profile, and also the original profile with only the gamma changed. headscratch.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    A little game.

Screen grabs of three different profiles.

The first profile is the last one I created. I pretty much made the apple disappear. To me, the greys are mauve. Some of the blacks are green. ne_nau.gif

The second piccie is the Macbook's original profile, with gamma at 1.8.

The third piccie is the Macbook's original profile, with the gamma changed to 2.2, nothing else altered.

All this proves is that calibrating color using that Apple thingie is not so easy. Although as I look at these screen grabs, the difference isn't as pronounced as it is on my lappie. headscratch.gif

My profile.

150293486-M.jpg

Macbook's original profile, gamma 1.8.

150293492-M.jpg

Macbook's original profile, gamma changed to 2.2.

150293494-M.jpg
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Really?

It looks to me like everything has a lavender tint, especially when compared to the original profile, and also the original profile with only the gamma changed. headscratch.gif

Yeah, me, too. Neutral. Huey calibrated MacBook Pro.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Yeah, me, too. Neutral. Huey calibrated MacBook Pro.
    Son of a gun. Guess I should have kept that profile. lol3.gif Instead, I recalibrated.

Check out this one: the grey look neutral to you?
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    Son of a gun. Guess I should have kept that profile. lol3.gif Instead, I recalibrated.

Check out this one: the grey look neutral to you?

I'd be happy with it.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    A little game.

Screen grabs of three different profiles.

The first profile is the last one I created. I pretty much made the apple disappear. To me, the greys are mauve. Some of the blacks are green. ne_nau.gif

The second piccie is the Macbook's original profile, with gamma at 1.8.

The third piccie is the Macbook's original profile, with the gamma changed to 2.2, nothing else altered.

All this proves is that calibrating color using that Apple thingie is not so easy. Although as I look at these screen grabs, the difference isn't as pronounced as it is on my lappie. headscratch.gif

My profile.

150293486-M.jpg

Macbook's original profile, gamma 1.8.

150293492-M.jpg

Macbook's original profile, gamma changed to 2.2.

150293494-M.jpg
    wxwax
    Were you able to get the other profile back?

Here is my screen capture, how does it look? the above are not my captures
    You wont my screen captures upload, it is only 60kb ?
    In the past it has worked.
    Here is a link I found about assistant calibration
    www.computer-darkroom.com/colorsync-display/colorsync_1.htm
    Thankyou

Pamela

www.exposedimages.net
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 7, 2007
    Sid, all three sets of iamges are neutral whites, blacks and grays and look like that on my Cinema display calibrated two days ago with Pantone's Spyder2 pro softwate and colorimeter.

More importantly, all tones read as gray, white or black with the Digital Color probe. You need to post a color image to check for a color tint problem.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I'd be happy with it.
    Thanks. It's so strange to see a color and think it's off. I don't have PS on the Macbook, so I can't check by the numbers. I swear the fonts in the Gallery Black look are mauve, not white. lol3.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    Pamela wrote:
    wxwax
    Were you able to get the other profile back?

Here is my screen capture, how does it look? the above are not my captures
    You wont my screen captures upload, it is only 60kb ?
    In the past it has worked.
    Here is a link I found about assistant calibration
    www.computer-darkroom.com/colorsync-display/colorsync_1.htm
    Nope, it's gone for good! I wonder why you're having trouble uploading your image? headscratch.gif
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Sid, all three sets of iamges are neutral whites, blacks and grays and look like that on my Cinema display calibrated two days ago with Pantone's Spyder2 pro softwate and colorimeter.

More importantly, all tones read as gray, white or black with the Digital Color probe. You need to post a color image to check for a color tint problem.
    Thanks, PF. That will have to wait until Wednesday, traveling.
    Sid.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 7, 2007
    Sid, no need for Photoshop to read pixel data. MAC has the ability to read any pixel on the screen in a little utility call Digital Color Meter. Try searching for it with Spotlight .

Digital Color Meter was included in my G4 PowerBook, and I just transferred all my apps and settings to my MacBookPro via a FireWire from the PowerBook.

But the latest version of OS X on my desktop also has Digital Color Meter, so I think it is down there in the Utilities folder on your Mac Book Pro also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Sid, no need for Photoshop to read pixel data. MAC has the ability to read any pixel on the screen in a little utility call Digital Color Meter. Try searching for it with Spotlight .

Digital Color Meter was included in my G4 PowerBook, and I just transferred all my apps and settings to my MacBookPro via a FireWire from the PowerBook.

But the latest version of OS X on my desktop also has Digital Color Meter, so I think it is down there in the Utilities folder on your Mac Book Pro also.
    Ah, very cool, thanks!
    Sid.