Options

Finally bought my wide angle

BrettBrett Registered Users Posts: 218 Major grins
edited February 9, 2005 in Accessories
Well, I'm extremely happy to say that I ordered my wide angle lens that I've been drooling over for so long. I almost gave up when a local store told me the best they could do was $490 CAD. I did some major searching to find a good price on this lens. $195 US was the lowest I found and that was an amazing deal for me. It came to $270 something CAD! I had to order it right away, so Friday night was it, I'm assuming they won't ship until Monday, but I'm so excited to get it, plus my birthday is on the 17th, so I'll be getting money and more goodies for my camera. Anyway, sorry about the ramble but It feels like X-mas all over again.

Here's the lens
sony20wide20angle20lens17ek.th.jpg

On the same camera as mine
hgd075863pz.th.jpg
Challenge 26 Winner "In Your House" :deal

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited February 6, 2005
    Well then. Happy Birthday!

Do show us some of what the wide angle does for you when your new
    lens arrives.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Excellent! Wide angle is great fun, Brett. nod.gif I have one like that for my Canon G3 and love it.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Brett wrote:

hgd075863pz.th.jpg

That looks like a plumber's snake! Weird! Does it even balance well?
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    I know, it looks huge at that angle. Its a big lens no matter what but here's another view.

hgd075846hc.th.jpg
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Brett wrote:
    I know, it looks huge at that angle. Its a big lens no matter what but here's another view.

hgd075846hc.th.jpg

sorry to appear ignorant, but what part of that is the new lens and what part is the camera?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    The camera is up to the silver after the zoom ring. The bright silver strip is the end of the camera.
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Nice lense, whats the mm? And thats not a bad price. The wide angle im looking at is $650us or something like that, which I thought was really cheap, compared to canon's version, hehe.
  • Options
    edited February 7, 2005
    Bare with me, I'm still learning, by mm do you mean the threads or the amount from the wide angle?
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Brett wrote:
    The camera is up to the silver after the zoom ring. The bright silver strip is the end of the camera.
    Really? Hmmm...interesting camera. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like that.

In any event, enjoy your WA lens...let's see some shots! I love WA photography.
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    I meant the lense mm, how wide it is. It could apply to the filter as well, sorry for not being specific.
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Really? Hmmm...interesting camera. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like that.

In any event, enjoy your WA lens...let's see some shots! I love WA photography.

It's the Sony F717. It's been around for years. I had the F707 awhile back. It was a great camera, and I still regret selling it.

The latest version of this camera is the Sony F828. Andy used this one for awhile before moving to Canon.

Dave
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    GerryDavid wrote:
    I meant the lense mm, how wide it is. It could apply to the filter as well, sorry for not being specific.

The f707 has a focal range of 38mm - 190mm. With the wide angle lens, he gets 26mm - 133mm. It's a .7mm lens designed for the camera, not a wide angle like you would see w/ a DSLR.

Hope this helps.

Dave
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    717 is as close to the "prefect camera" as you can get imho
    Great for IR work and macro too
    I have 717 and 828 and I'm getting a new camera
    I will probaly sell the 828 icon10.gif
    And keep the 717

Fred