Softball

vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited May 9, 2007 in Sports
First try shooting Softball. Any comments or critiques would be appreciated.

149543687-M.jpg

149542840-M.jpg

149537740-M.jpg

149536107-M.jpg

149531197-M.jpg

149530490-M.jpg

149541543-M.jpg

Comments

• H e r bH e r b Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Maybe is just a personal preference, but I kinda like consistancy of the green hues., and then #3 pops in a great blue. It just says "softball in the spring" to me...

I'm on here all the time asking for the advice from the pro's, most say just keep shooting and get the faces and that seems to work.

Looks like you're on the right track!

Herb
  • vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Thanks Herb
    H e r b wrote:
    Maybe is just a personal preference, but I kinda like consistancy of the green hues., and then #3 pops in a great blue. It just says "softball in the spring" to me...

I'm on here all the time asking for the advice from the pro's, most say just keep shooting and get the faces and that seems to work.

Looks like you're on the right track!

Herb

I agree the greens are not consistant. Still working on my post processing skills. It was a tough day to shoot, late afternoon game, overcast and threatening to rain at any second.
  • DblDbl Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    vt1122 wrote:
    I agree the greens are not consistent. Still working on my post processing skills. It was a tough day to shoot, late afternoon game, overcast and threatening to rain at any second.

vt1122,

Nice effort on these. If I may offer some advice?

#1 Really nice shot, exposure looks good the only thing that makes it better is a ball.

#2 Nice shot but if you want to make sure your horizons are level, look to the vertical things to help with that. Many playing fields give you strange angle so using an object that is vertical will give you a true horizon.

#3 Looking at the histogram I show this shot underexposed. I prefer shots like this to not include the catcher and batter, crop to the batter and draw the center of attention back to the batter. Shooting this shot from a low angle, you with your rear in the grass...will get under those helmets and show the eyes better.

#4 I like the concept, but I find the player in the foreground distracting. I would try again with no batter to obstruct your shot.

#5 Nice shot but I would crop out some dead space at the top, it really pulls the eye away from the center of focus the pitcher.

#6 Not bad but maybe a horizontal crop to eliminate some dead space? I would have been more tempted to crop everything but the player making the throw, but that is my preference. I see what you are trying to show in the shot but I just am not sure it works.

#7 OK shot but I like to see the base runner doing something, ready to go on the pitch, etc. Again I see what you are trying to show but I think having that umpire in the frame maybe from a different angle to get her closer to the player would be better, tightens up the shot.

You will find that you can't wait for conditions like you had to shoot under, overcast gives you nice even lighting allowing you expose for the faces. The harsh mid day sun is when you will be challenged the most. Nice work and I hope you have something to go on for your next game. Thanks for showing us your photos.
    Dan

Canon Gear
  • vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Thanks Dan

All good points that I will keep in mind.