Why all the hits from other countries? Security Issue?

adamcadamc Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited May 7, 2007 in SmugMug Support
So I just installed google analytics to see where all my hits are coming from. A LOT of them are coming from soviet countries, etc. One person logged 300 views of my car pictures (with my license plates shown). Stupid on my part - I know, but now I'm wondering why and how they even found me. Is this a bot looking for car pictures, or someone involved with ID theft. Since I use the maps feature, my home address is even on there...

Anyway, I added a pw to help a little, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and looked into it at all. Are there other things we should be doing to protect our info on SM?

thanks,
adam

Comments

• ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    I dunno, maybe it was just someone interested in cars?

In general, I would never mark or display your home address on your site thought.
  • adamcadamc Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    ivar wrote:
    I dunno, maybe it was just someone interested in cars?

maybe, but 300 views of 4 pictures means bot to me.
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Many people live outside the USA. You can expect a publicly accessible photo to be visited by anyone from anywhere.

I know if I am interested in something, like say buying a car, I will search the web looking for pictures. If I find one that answers questions for me I may visit it many times. And last time I checked, I was not yet upgraded to a bot.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 7, 2007
    I think the most likely explanation is that someone stumbled across your photos, wanted to share them, and linked the gallery to a forum of some sort.

It really shouldn't be anything to be worried about. You should be able to see through Google Analytics where they are arriving from, though (in terms of URL's).

In Google Analytics, click on "Marketing Optimization" on the left, then "Visitor Segment Performance" and finally "Referring Source."
    SmugMug Product Manager