Options

Anybody buy a Gary Fong Whaletail?

2»

Comments

• Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Haha dont get me started with home-made diffusers.

Diffusers1.jpg

However, i did buy one diffuser which was way worth it in my opinion and it was very affordable, the 'Joe Demb Diffuser'. i've used it countless times in the field and the only thing getting wrecked on it is the red velcro strap which can be fixed by simply sowing it instead of using double sided sticky tape.

Diffusers2.jpg

There's a thread here somewhere where we all pitched in our ideas and photos using diffusers. deal.gif Gus or Ziggy can search for it quicker than I can, rolleyes1.gif.
  • Options
    digitalpinsdigitalpins Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    Here is one I made from a soup container you get from the chinese restaurants and it worked great too but I just went ahead and got the Gary Fong one

Copyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_374346.jpgCopyrighted_Image_Reuse_Prohibited_374351.jpg
    www.lamontphotography.com
    Canon 60D
    Canon Rebel XTi (400)
    Canon 10-22mm, Canon 50mm f/1.8 II
    MacBook, MacPro
  • Options
    W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Heres mine ..$2.50 for the chocy milk.
    Is it available in Vanilla? eek7.gif
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    yeah, how does chocolate milk residue affect the color cast? Oh wait, Gus doesn't do analysis. I'll have to try for myself. rolleyes1.gif
    eek7.gif
    headscratch.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    evoryware wrote:
    yeah, how does chocolate milk residue affect the color cast? Oh wait, Gus doesn't do analysis. I'll have to try for myself. rolleyes1.gif
    eek7.gif
    headscratch.gif
    Yeah i dont bother with all the pixel/light counting that so many seem to enjoy. Not having a go at anyone but i just do my own thing on the day. I grab something & try it...if it works for the situation i keep it...if it does not i modify it or move on or look for something else.

I mean how do you explain a light filters effectiveness? What ambient light is about at the time...what skin colour...what camera/flash settings...what angles are we talking ? The list has no end.

I just showed people one of my experiments to get them to stop just doing the sometimes 'drone' ..must buy this this & that to get a good photo. There are a million & one things around the home & shops that can do this job & i really enjoy experimenting.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Yeah i dont bother with all the pixel/light counting that so many seem to enjoy. Not having a go at anyone but i just do my own thing on the day. I grab something & try it...if it works for the situation i keep it...if it does not i modify it or move on or look for something else.

I mean how do you explain a light filters effectiveness? What ambient light is about at the time...what skin colour...what camera/flash settings...what angles are we talking ? The list has no end.

I just showed people one of my experiments to get them to stop just doing the sometimes 'drone' ..must buy this this & that to get a good photo. There are a million & one things around the home & shops that can do this job & i really enjoy experimenting.

15524779-Ti.gif Totally! nod.gif
    While I don't mind occasionally purchasing some gadgets and gizmos, some of the "specialty" products, be it photogrpahy, audio, hiking, etc. just strike me as a total waste of money and my whole nature goes againt bying them (for some reason, Gary Fong's products continue to hold the first place for that last category). Paying $100+ for what a milk/coffe can can do, sometimes more efficiently - I'm not that rich...
    But maybe it's just me... ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    gus wrote:

You've been very kind to show your experiment.
    I apologize if my asking of the application of your
    milk can fell under the suspicion of pixel peeping.

I was just interested what you're using the thing
    for and not what I need to get to makes better
    pictures. No detailed description needed.

Being a student also I know that many also ppl
    just aren't ready to flush 100$ for a whaly, and
    if they see an experiment like yours they don't
    always have the time to try everything they
    see on the net themselves to figure out if this
    could be sth for themselves - these ppl will of
    course ask you about it. So adding a sentence
    of information about it woudl've turned your
    post into a real bonus instead of a statement
    on pixel peeping.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    You've been very kind to show your experiment.
    I apologize if my asking of the application of your
    milk can fell under the suspicion of pixel peeping.

I was just interested what you're using the thing
    for and not what I need to get to makes better
    pictures. No detailed description needed.

Being a student also I know that many also ppl
    just aren't ready to flush 100$ for a whaly, and
    if they see an experiment like yours they don't
    always have the time to try everything they
    see on the net themselves to figure out if this
    could be sth for themselves - these ppl will of
    course ask you about it. So adding a sentence
    of information about it woudl've turned your
    post into a real bonus instead of a statement
    on pixel peeping.

As i said...i do my own thing. People can take it or leave it. What you can do is look at the plastic bottle & think..hey thats cheap & i wonder if it will work for me in situation A or B. You cant possibly expect to get an understanding of it effectiveness unless we both have the exact same lighting/camera settings etc etc as i mentioned. Thats where i was headed with the post. Just try it.
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    gus wrote:
    As i said...i do my own thing. People can take it or leave it. What you can do is look at the plastic bottle & think..hey thats cheap & i wonder if it will work for me in situation A or B. You cant possibly expect to get an understanding of it effectiveness unless we both have the exact same lighting/camera settings etc etc as i mentioned. Thats where i was headed with the post. Just try it.
    15524779-Ti.gif Different situations will render different results with the EXACT SAME GEAR. Look at the post, THINK about what it's likely to do, test your hypothesis, verify your results, modify your equipement/settings, repeat and flavor to taste.

The value of Gus' post is the idea. That's the meat. The gravy is the results of your thinking!

Finally, to quote one of my favorite authors, "Human beings hardly ever learn from the experience of others. They learn; when they do, which isn't often, on their own, the hard way."
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif Different situations will render different results with the EXACT SAME GEAR. Look at the post, THINK about what it's likely to do, test your hypothesis, verify your results, modify your equipement/settings, repeat and flavor to taste.

The value of Gus' post is the idea. That's the meat. The gravy is the results of your thinking!

Finally, to quote one of my favorite authors, "Human beings hardly ever learn from the experience of others. They learn; when they do, which isn't often, on their own, the hard way."
    Sorry again, I only wanted to know how gus
    uses this thing for and not what other endless
    possibilities exist. Please dont suggest now that I
    should try out the milk can to find out what gus
    does with it ... that would clearly qualify for employment
    in some kind of outsourced customer support callcenter. :D

Please have mercy with me for taking interest! Please! bowdown.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    HinsonHinson Registered Users Posts: 219 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Baldy,

Interesting gadget. Looks more professional than a big foamie diffuser.

Did you order the one with the colored gels as well?

But do you really want to pay a hundred bucks to look professional. My foamies work great for me and they fold up and fit in my camera bag. Try finding room in a cramped bag for a Whaletail.

Hinson
    Serving Him by Serving Others
    www.Jerrywhitephotography.com
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    Hinson wrote:
    But do you really want to pay a hundred bucks to look professional.
    This is actually a funny point, since in my mind none of the GF producs looks the part. That's partly what kills it for me. They are super-overpriced, yet still look cheap..
    Hinson wrote:
    My foamies work great for me and they fold up and fit in my camera bag. Try finding room in a cramped bag for a Whaletail.
    Hinson

Absolutely! 15524779-Ti.gif.
    The coffe can solution I posted - it actually works as a protective case for my 580EX. SInce i made it I dumped the soft case and now carrying 580EX inside that shell (perfect fit). And I can always use it as the diffuser.:-)
  • Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    I found it hard to believe that when Manfr3d asked this question:
    Manfr3d wrote:
    Ok let me ask more specific. Do you only photograph items for ebay from a 1 ft distance with this or are still able to bounce off walls for portatis shots and
    the like as well?

That Gus gave this answer:
    gus wrote:
    No idea. I dont analyse stuff.

This would mean Gus has no idea if he's shooting subjects from 1ft away or doing portraits. It doesn't require one to analyse anything, just answer the question. I was somewhat surprised by the answer from Gus, actually.

Either it's being used for portraits or it isn't, simple question really.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2007
    Manfr3d wrote:
    No, I'm saying he invented the whale tail thing sitting on a john. :D

wt_grey.jpg vs toto-soiree-toilet.jpg

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Great vision! Supposedly Gary has 4 new products debuting shortly. If we all keep makiing our own diffusers how is he going to continue to keep up this lifestyle? Gary probably is laughing all the way to the bank.
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2007
    Susan,
    saurora wrote:
    Gary probably is laughing all the way to the bank.
    Not with my money he ain't... :nono
    I have no problem with people getting paid/rich (hey, I'm doing the same stuff with my Star*Explorer:-) , but his are not exactly the products of my choice (just as S*E is not everybody's tool - yet lol3.gif). I know a lot of people swear by them, I'm simply not one of them in this case. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2007
    Jeffro wrote:
    I found it hard to believe that when Manfr3d asked this question:

That Gus gave this answer:

This would mean Gus has no idea if he's shooting subjects from 1ft away or doing portraits. It doesn't require one to analyse anything, just answer the question. I was somewhat surprised by the answer from Gus, actually.

Either it's being used for portraits or it isn't, simple question really.
    Im not sure...now yesterday i used it with the sun behind cloud to the ssw at 17 deg 7 at 5.36 pm, it was one of those semi see through clouds with bright edges. I also use an dichroic lamp of 20 watts faced towards my bathroom at 52.3 deg bouncing from a car window reflector. Now i was photographing a bug of our medium size here...it had shadow over 12% of its thorax but its shell was quite shiny so i got more light than i needed there. It did really well but i did neglect to mention that a hole appeared in that cloud after the 2nd shot was taken...not a big hole but about the size of one of our 20c pieces...you know the ones.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2007
    gus wrote:
    Im not sure...now yesterday i used it with the sun behind cloud to the ssw at 17 deg 7 at 5.36 pm, it was one of those semi see through clouds with bright edges. I also use an dichroic lamp of 20 watts faced towards my bathroom at 52.3 deg bouncing from a car window reflector. Now i was photographing a bug of our medium size here...it had shadow over 12% of its thorax but its shell was quite shiny so i got more light than i needed there. It did really well but i did neglect to mention that a hole appeared in that cloud after the 2nd shot was taken...not a big hole but about the size of one of our 20c pieces...you know the ones.
    thumb.gif and not a smiley in there anywhere. How do you keep a straight face?
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2007
    gus wrote:

Once again, not the kind of reply I would expect here on dgrin.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2007
    Gus, Jeffro,

This is not intended to be a slam or condemnation of anyone, but...

May I suggest, just to keep things friendly, that we let this one die a quiet death? It's obvious that the humor is not appreciated by all.
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2007
    Gus, Jeffro,

This is not intended to be a slam or condemnation of anyone, but...

May I suggest, just to keep things friendly, that we let this one die a quiet death? It's obvious that the humor is not appreciated by all.
    Sure ...if you can point out exactly to me my post went from someone just telling others what i do with $2 ....to someone getting a little agressive.

Mate its about different types of people. All my post was about was "hey guys...i use a $2 milk container...try it to see if you like it. I did actually find jefros demands odd & if it continues i will deal with it a a mod on this board just as i would had he leveled that at you scott.

Manfred......go buy a $2 milk & have some fun with experimentation.
  • Options
    RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited May 17, 2007
    Manfr3d,

I made a similar diffuser to the one gus shows (I used a rubbing alcohol bottle), and it seems to work primarily for me indoors. My apartment has 9ft ceilings, and I can still easily bounce off the ceiling using this with a 430EX. Mostly I'm probably shooting people or pets at normal indoor shooting distances with my kit 18-55 using this diffuser.

I also made a version of the Better Bounce Card that I use for times when I need to bounce a larger area, or in places with ceilings to high to bounce off of. It can also work for closer distances outdoors for alittle bit of fill flash.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    edited May 17, 2007
    gus wrote:
    I did actually find jefros demands odd & if it continues i will deal with it a a mod on this board just as i would had he leveled that at you scott.

Don't worry I've moved on.........