Download stats of originals?

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited December 9, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I have a sub-category with 44 galleries in it that has been up for about a month and a half. I would like to know how many original-sized images have been downloaded across those 44 galleries since I put it up.

Any ideas on how I would answer that question?
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    I have a sub-category with 44 galleries in it that has been up for about a month and a half. I would like to know how many original-sized images have been downloaded across those 44 galleries since I put it up.

Any ideas on how I would answer that question?
    I don't think you can get the download stats but you can get how many
    original views there was.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    I don't think you can get the download stats but you can get how many
    original views there was.

Views and downloads of originals are the same thing to me. I want to know how many times original-sized images have been accessed in 44 galleries over the last 45 days since the galleries went up. Any idea how to do that?

The Smugmug stats page is fine when you have 20 galleries all with unique names and you only want to see one calendar month and you're willing to manually add statistics together yourself.

But as soon as you have several hundred galleries, many with names that don't uniquely describe the gallery without also knowing the category and sub-category, and you want some time period other than a calendar month and you want data that Statcounter or Google Analystics can't capture then Smugmug's stats page is really pretty useless and frankly doesn't live up to the standards set elsewhere in the site.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    jfriend wrote:
    then Smugmug's stats page is really pretty useless and frankly doesn't live up to the standards set elsewhere in the site.
    Hi John, ouch, I'm sorry that our Stats are falling short for you. I'll make sure that our Product Manager, Ben, sees your comments. To get the views you are looking for, you'll need to add the stats up for each gallery, for the originals from those galleries.

I'm sorry I do not have a better answer for you.
  • synaturesynature Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Hi John, ouch, I'm sorry that our Stats are falling short for you. I'll make sure that our Product Manager, Ben, sees your comments. To get the views you are looking for, you'll need to add the stats up for each gallery, for the originals from those galleries.

I'm sorry I do not have a better answer for you.

I have to echo John's comment. Please have your product manager join deviantart.com and take a look at how their statistics work. Much more professional and useful to a serious user of smugmug, even if they don't have a data dump option. At least you have not only total counts, but counts of comments and favorite flagging.

Statcounter is a very nice supplemental information source -- particularly for finding out what search terms were used. But having to translate image numbers to images is a real pain, and clicking on them only distorts the stats (oh, you can block it on your machine, at least if you don't have script blockers in place, speaking of which, I suspect I'm missing hits because people like me who browse with firefox and no-script).

But even if I purchased a full license to statcounter so I could get totals, I'd much rather have an alphabetical listing of my galleries with the stats next to each one that I can quickly scroll through and find what I'm looking for.

(beating the horse, hoping it's not dead)
    Brandon Smith
    Brandon Smith
    http://redwoodtwig.com
    Sony A7r4 with a selection of Rokinon Cine primes that I'm really enjoying learning how to use.