Options

Website redesign

TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
edited February 7, 2005 in The Big Picture
I'm working on updating our family website - right now, it's just navigation items. Check it out here: http://panekfamily.net/test/

Can you tell me if:

1. The buttons work (they'll animate and go to google, yahoo, etc)
2. It's a good idea
3. It loads quickly (and what your connection type is)
4. What your OS and browser are
5. I suck at PS
6. ISATI

The horizontal line is 800 px wide and centered. I was planning on using it as a temporary guide during construction to keep the content suitable for those running 800x600 resolution. All code done in Notepad (old school!).

I appreciate your feedback. Thanks.
panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
Sony F717 | Hoya R72

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited February 6, 2005
    Loads fast enough at dialup. Rollovers function. Links go places. Black background is fine. Window size is good. Button sizes are also good. The motion of the buttons is classy and effective.

What is not so nice is the glowing red shading of the active (onHover/onClick) buttons. When hovering over one, the red is not as distinct as the grey/black/white buttons that aren't active. A suggestion... perhaps the button names should default to a light grey when non-active, and a brighter white when they are active. If you do wish to use the active glowing red, then the button name should be much much lighter. As it is, it isn't easily read when active.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Looks fine to me and loads fast (adsl).
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    I agreed with everyone else. I see nothing belowt the line tho.. just plain black..

I have windows xp dsl.. loads very fast. I can heartily recommend Homesite by Allaire for coding. You keep control but don't have to type in every tag..try a free download here and it's really easy easy to use.
    lynn 1drink.gif
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Thanks all. I'll consider changing the mouseover function colors, but I figured the buttons are pretty readable when not pressed, so the mouseover is more of an eye-candy thing. There's no content below the three arrows yet, Lynn, so you're not missing anything.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72