Question: How can I reduce clicks in this situation?

spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
edited May 8, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Hi guys,

I have a single public gallery in the Events Category. But to get into the gallery, you have to click on the gallery once on the home page and again on the category page before you get into the gallery.

I'd like to go straight to the gallery without the second click.

I also have the same situation with Pets.

How should I structure my galleries so I don't have that dumb-looking second click thing going on.

thanks!
Trish
www.trishtunney.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2007
    wave.gif Hiya Trish!

You could feature the gallery, and have your featured box on the homepage, that's the easiest way, how about that?
  • spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    wave.gif Hiya Trish!

You could feature the gallery, and have your featured box on the homepage, that's the easiest way, how about that?

Hi Andy,

I tried the feature gallery and it looks a little odd because it has the same gallery on the front page twice. I don't have a lot of public galleries on the front page so it looks pretty obvious. Is there a way I can feature a private gallery?

thanks,
    Trish
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    spider-t wrote:
    Hi Andy,

I tried the feature gallery and it looks a little odd because it has the same gallery on the front page twice. I don't have a lot of public galleries on the front page so it looks pretty obvious. Is there a way I can feature a private gallery?

thanks,
    Trish
    No, I'm sorry private galleries can't be featured.

Idea two, make a link to it in your navbar?
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    spider-t wrote:
    Is there a way I can feature a private gallery?
    You could try a little trick: Make the gallery public, feature it and make it private again. I don't know if this will work, but as a matter of fact I did that to feature a private gallery in a community. mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Idea 3
    Andy wrote:
    No, I'm sorry private galleries can't be featured.

Idea two, make a link to it in your navbar?
    Idea three. Make it public, feature it, then use CSS to hide the 2nd copy on the home page. Requires power or pro account to do custom CSS.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    spider-t wrote:
    Hi guys,

I have a single public gallery in the Events Category. But to get into the gallery, you have to click on the gallery once on the home page and again on the category page before you get into the gallery.

How should I structure my galleries so I don't have that dumb-looking second click thing going on.

thanks!
    Trish
    www.trishtunney.com

Just upload more pics, make more galleries, problem goes away! mwink.gif
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Idea 4
    spider-t wrote:
    Hi guys,

thanks!
    Trish
    www.trishtunney.com

If you don't have many galleries over all, then just change your home page to show galleries instead of categories (it's a setting on the right side of the home page while you're logged in). That setting is designed for the situation where you haven't filled out a bunch of categories and you'd rather just see a list of galleries on your home page.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Thanks guys for all your ideas. I'm going to break the gallery up into more galleries so the category function makes more sense.

-Trish