Options

What do you think, computer build

MilnerMilner Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
edited May 9, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/Wishlist/PublicWishDetail.asp?WishListNumber=4781271&WishListTitle=The+final+deal

This is what I have come up with, what do you think? what would you change? Would a scratch disk (another HD) for PS CS2 help?
I am staying with XP and CS2 for the near future....

THANKS
Marc

Comments

• Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Looks good to me.

I personally like to have my data volume as a RAID 5 or RAID 10. But that would require several more drives and a different mobo from your list.
  • Options
    MilnerMilner Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Looks good to me.

I personally like to have my data volume as a RAID 5 or RAID 10. But that would require several more drives and a different mobo from your list.

I have some others suggest that, but I plan to back up to an external HD via the eSata, very often!
    This mobo gives me that esata, plenty of others, and quad ability in the future....Seems nothing offers it allheadscratch.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Nope, but there are a add-on cards available to add either one. I harp on the RAID because it's saved my butt a couple of times last year, both at home & at work; having the data volume on a RAID5 turned what could have been a disaster into an inconvenience.
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    In a home setting, it's hard for me to recommend RAID-5. You need at least three disks which are noisy, hot, and take up space. A quiet external enclosure would be better, but more expensive.

I have one small disk for my system, one big disk for my data. I frequently back up my data disk to an external drive (which is powered off otherwise). If my system disk dies, I don't really care, it's just rebuild time. If my data disk dies, at most I will lose any new stuff since my last backup.

If you're more paranoid than I am, I might run mirrored instead (RAID-1). But I've found that if a disk works well for it's first month, it will continue working for at least 2-3 years. By that time, I've usually replaced it with something bigger!
    Chris