Canon Powershot S5 IS announced

BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
edited May 9, 2007 in Cameras
Canon has announced the next camera in the line of the prosumer Sx IS series, the Powershot S5 IS. The last was the S3. Anyone know why they skipped "S4"?

The biggest difference I can see between the S3 and the S5 is the addition of a flash hot shoe (finally).

I used to own an S2 and it was an excellent camera for ball games and concerts. I've been waiting for this announcement so I can finally get my wife a new P&S... I would really like to see RAW support, but I don't think Canon is ever going to add raw support to any of there new P&S models.
Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    ne_nau.gif They skipped the G4 too and went straight to the G5. Some talk of 4 being unlucky, although that seems to be in Chinese, not Japanese.

I still have my S1-IS, I'm letting my 10 y.o. use it now. I think these cameras are a very good combo of features and price for a pro-sumer unit.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    ne_nau.gif They skipped the G4 too and went straight to the G5. Some talk of 4 being unlucky, although that seems to be in Chinese, not Japanese.

I still have my S1-IS, I'm letting my 10 y.o. use it now. I think these cameras are a very good combo of features and price for a pro-sumer unit.
    I'm nearly positive that even numbers in general are unlucky in Japan. Things come in odd number packs. They sell 5 plates not 4 for example. I have no idea if that is related to the missing S4. ne_nau.gif
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    DJ-S1 wrote:

I worked with a chinese bloke for quite a while & he said the word four in chinese sounds very similar to the word death. I can assume a lot of their market is to chinese speaking people so maybe its marketing.
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Anyone know why they skipped "S4"?
    They also skipped the 'G4' as I recall.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    I used to vanpool with a chinese guy, who said that most chinese will not buy a house with the number 4 in it, and if they do, they have the street number changed.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Konica minolta did the same thing with the Z series. Z1, Z2, Z3, Z5, Z6, End of minolta. :cry
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    I used to vanpool with a chinese guy, who said that most chinese will not buy a house with the number 4 in it, and if they do, they have the street number changed.
    That sounds awfully superstitious to me. I'm not superstitious myself, I'm afraid to be superstitious. I've heard it brings bad luck.
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Konica minolta did the same thing with the Z series. Z1, Z2, Z3, Z5, Z6, End of minolta. :cry
    So 6 is bad luck too?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    So 6 is bad luck too?

Apparently. Apple never even got to G6.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Apple never even got to G6.
    That might have spelled bad luck for more than just those of Chinese extraction! lol3.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 9, 2007
    BeachBill wrote:
    Anyone know why they skipped "S4"?

Could be a trademark issue too. Remember the Audi S4?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    wxwax wrote:
    So 6 is bad luck too?

if you look at it that way... rolleyes1.gif
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com