LPS 5, final options Poll + more help

tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
edited May 14, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Over the past few days I have come up with the following options for LPS-5
Please cast your votes and help me choose!
Apart from that also tell me do they look like silhouettes on your PC or monitor? I have a dell LCD, and sometimes brightness contrast difference can make silhouette on just my LCD, and not on CRT's. So really need your feedback.
I
1. Waiting... OR "Last photographer sitting"
149646342-L.jpg

2.Nights in White Satin
150511963-L.jpg

3. Defeat aka Last chance
151419319-L.jpg

Which Pic should I post 18 votes

Waiting...
38%
NikolaiAntonio CorreiaquarksunionepyroPrints.compemmettTentacion 7 votes
Nights in white satin
27%
damonffChrisJjerryrevorywareChrissiebeez_NL 5 votes
Defeat
33%
FlyingginaTessa HDeoren1tsk1979VisualXpressionsGreensquared 6 votes

Comments

• BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    #2 w better background
    tsk1979 wrote:
    2.Nights in White Satin

Definite #2, but, again, with proviso that your background, as shown here, is simply too bright.

Your effort at a gold background, from an earlier version, was much closer; but, then the pillow (?) was still too bright.

Keep it up!
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • tsk1979tsk1979 Registered Users Posts: 937 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Defeat
    Hmm looks like its going to be pretty close.
    Guys I need help from the CRT monitor people. Does the pic look like a silhouette? I am worried about the third pic(defeat)

As for the second pic and background, the golden is good, but even lots of dodging and burning could not cure the white sheet.. Such is life
  • evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Nights in white satin
    I like #2 the most. I liked the gold background attempt more. CRT user here look like silhouettes to me.thumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Defeat
    There are a lot of nice aspects about #2 but the fact that her head is turned toward the camera and not in profile spoils it for me. I am also distracted by the hot spot at her waist and the sheet. #3 seems near perfect to me. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Virginia

Email
    edited May 10, 2007
    Defeat
    Looks like its going to be the Defeat shot.
    I darkened it teeny weeny bit, since on the monitor at work the stripes were completely visible.
    edited May 12, 2007
    Defeat
    I am thinking of an appropriate title for the last, instead of defeat, lets say
    "last chance"
    edited May 13, 2007
    Defeat
    less than 24 hours left, and there are 6 vs 6 ne_nau.gif
    Im where I started from, both my possible contenders have equal votes.
    One question to anyone who may answer it.
    Are 1 and 3 good shots, or they are also rans(the variety I had for the LPS 1-4).I want an honest opinion, no sugar coating.
    rolleyes1.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Waiting...
    tsk1979 wrote:
    less than 24 hours left, and there are 6 vs 6 ne_nau.gif
    Im where I started from, both my possible contenders have equal votes.
    One question to anyone who may answer it.
    Are 1 and 3 good shots, or they are also rans(the variety I had for the LPS 1-4).I want an honest opinion, no sugar coating.
    rolleyes1.gif

"You can't please everyone, so you gotta please yourself"
    Kenny Rogers

#2 deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited May 13, 2007
    Defeat
    Nikolai wrote:
    Kenny Rogers

#2 deal.gif
    Hehe, I am always pleased with my shots, the problem here is that others are not pleased rolleyes1.gif. Thats the problemo.
    I hope this time many people are pleased with either of 1 or 3 I posted.
    As for 2, it may be good, but technically its a weak shot.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Defeat
    You, Nik and many others posting in the LPS challenges are innovative, persistent, artistically gifted and technically proficient enough to produce a photograph that will please the judges, but to do that you have to know ahead of time what will please them. And there is the rub!!

The people commenting are not the judges and even we are split on which one of your shots they like best. The bottom line is that you have done some excellent work. The photos please me, especially #3, but I am not a judge. In fact, you might do well to ignore my opinion given my track record at choosing winners. rolleyes1.gifSeriously, though, haven't you seen some entries that you thought would be sure winners but that didn't make it? And been surprised by some in the top 10 were ones that you dismissed immediately as not viable?

Shay talks alot about LPS being like the real world where you have to please a client that is looking for a concept photograph. But in the real world, your clients look at all of the photos you present to them and choose which one(s) they liked best. Ask any pro and they will confirm that they are often surprised by what their clients choose. I don't think it is at all easy for the photographer to pick what someone else will like best out of a set of photographs. Even friends and family differ.

So, go with your heart. You may make the top 10, you may not. But you did make some great photographs. And there are many more chances before the contest ends. I have great confidence that you will be in the winners circle before LPS is finished! thumb.gif

Virginia

Email
    edited May 13, 2007
    Waiting...
    Flyinggina wrote:
    ... Ask any pro and they will confirm that they are often surprised by what their clients choose. ...
    15524779-Ti.gif
    I'm not a pro (I mean, I don't earn my living via photography), but with the several gigs I had it was almost always the case...
    There are many reasons to that, one of them being that we here tend to think as photographers = producers, while our customers are consumers. They don't care what PS filter or camera did you use, is it by the rule of thirds or is it too noisy.
    OTOH, the judges are not customers, they are us, and we're not shooting their wedding, so to speak, so they do judge by the similar set of criteria. However, as it's easy to see on pretty much every poll with two or more toss-up options, the tastes differ. IMHO, the best way to go about it is to gather the opinions, analyze and consider them, and then do what you think is right.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    That first one looks like he's waiting for you to give him back the camera. IOW, the empty tripod detracts.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited May 13, 2007
    Defeat
    DavidTO wrote:
    That first one looks like he's waiting for you to give him back the camera. IOW, the empty tripod detracts.
    He is waiting for me...? He's me mwink.gif, and the cam's on the tripod.
    edited May 13, 2007
    Waiting...
    tsk1979 wrote:
    As for 2, it may be good, but technically its a weak shot.
    One of the strongest images (IMHO) in the whole LPS history, however short the latter is, is not the strongest technically, yet it still rocks.
    Find the soul first, technical strength is supplementary... deal.gif
    edited May 13, 2007
    Defeat
    Nikolai wrote:
    One of the strongest images (IMHO) in the whole LPS history, however short the latter is, is not the strongest technically, yet it still rocks.
    Find the soul first, technical strength is supplementary... deal.gif

Hmm.... In my opinion, first is technically very sound, second is strong emotionally, but.... something missing its been liked because of its sensuality, but then all sensual images get liked more :D. the third one is balanced.
    I somehow emotionally connect to it as the "Last chance", since it is the "Last chance" for these semi's!
    Hence the confusion, I somehow have an inkling that by the time challenge closes all of these will have equal number of votes rolleyes1.gif
  • indiegirlindiegirl Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    I'm trained as an actor (my first love), and when preparing for an audition you learn a monologue for the director(s). The monologue isn't from the play being produced, it's a piece you choose to present because it showcases your ability, strengths and range.

While you may have knowledge of the play being produced and you might even know which character you are being considered for, ultimately the director will assess your contribution based on her connection to your performance in consideration of the applicant pool and her artistic vision.

While you may show your best work at audition, and while the work may indeed be revolutionary and inspiring, there is no x + y = z equation at work when getting cast. The number of variables is infinite and outcomes are based on factors far beyond the actor's control. The best thing an actor can do is to get out there and ACT. Present an authentic, realistic, emotionally-driven interpretation of your work and walk away knowing you did what you could.

Everything else is gravy.

I think I'm being about as subtle as an ax when I say the two genres compare, dontcha think?

Jesse
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 13, 2007
    Nikolai wrote:
    Kenny Rogers
    l

Hey Nik, Ricky Nelson, Garden Party.

I like the first shot the best only because you didn't over saturate/contrast it like the 2nd and 3rd shots. I'd rather see all of the subject instead of just half though.
    The 2nd shot, as someone else said could have been a real contender if she was looking forward, and less saturation.
    The 3rd shot with her hands in her pockets really limits the shot in my opinion.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited May 14, 2007
    Defeat
    Went in with no.1 :D.
    So Long and thanks for all the fish!