NPR: Photographer Reflects on Jazz Giants, Storm Losses

StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
edited May 9, 2007 in The Big Picture
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=10057004
All Things Considered, May 7, 2007 · Photographer Herman Leonard, 84, captured jazz giants like Billie Holiday and Miles Davis on film as they worked in smoky, cramped, late-night clubs. But he almost lost his amazing collection to Hurricane Katrina. ...

Comments

• JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    Steven, I saw this story on tv recently, and it was both fascinating and sad. We all lost a significant part of our history when all his beautiful fiber prints were ruined. These images are such a tremendous record of jazz, an art form that Americans can truly call our own. Unfortunately, jazz music gets lost these days among the noise. What a waste. I'm only aware of one full time (earthbound) jazz radio station remaining in the U.S. The rest have switched over to all talk etc.

His photos are a treasure trove of moments that are gone forever. I often relate a photo to a jazz song, and vice versa. Especially when I see a b&w image, it will remind me of a certain song, or a certain musician.

There's a scholar named Gerald Early, who has said: "I think there are only three things that America will be known for 2,000 years from now when they study this civilization: the Constitution, jazz music and baseball. They're the three most beautifully designed things this culture has ever produced."

That sounds about right. Thanks for posting the link.

Jim
    <!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1&quot;/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:7.8pt; height:.6pt'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\jim\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.png" o:href="http://www.baseballasamerica.org/images/inv_pixel.gif"/&gt; </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->
    <o:p></o:p>

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Yikes. I keep hearing about more stuff lost in that hurricane. I know Jazz & it's history took a huge hit (heck, we almost lost BB King in it from what I understand :wow). At least he was able to save all the negatives.

Yeah, it sucks there's almost no Jazz on the radio any more. I am thankful that KJAZZ is local to me--I listen to it all day & am a subscriber, so am doing my part. I thought there was a sister station still in NY, is that one gone now? I remember the dueling fund drives a couple of years ago, those were fun. On a happier note, they do keep giving us stories of the success of local schools in spreading Jazz, there's apparently some VERY good school-based bands, so kids are discovering Jazz again. thumb.gif