Options

Siesta Key, Florida

ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
edited May 10, 2007 in Landscapes
I hardly ever go to the beach to take photos, but I decided give it a try. This was taken at Sunset. Something is missing here, i just can't figure it out.
What ya think?:scratch

1 Not crazy about this one

148781846-L-2.jpg

148782128-L-2.jpg

148782555-L-2.jpg

4. For some reason i like this one the best.
148783245-L-2.jpg

5. B&W Conversion
148784029-L-2.jpg

Thank you for looking. C&C appreciated!
Marina
www.intruecolors.com
Nikon D700 x2/D300
Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8

Comments

• Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    I hardly ever go to the beach to take photos, but I decided give it a try. This was taken at Sunset. Something is missing here, i just can't figure it out.
    What ya think?headscratch.gif

Thank you for looking. C&C appreciated!

#1 The line of people on the right distract from the main subject. The main subject the person is in front of the sun I would have liked it if the person was on a third point with the sun in the center (or the reverse).

#2 Now there seems to be two main subjects. The one on the right is two close to the edge and seems to be moving out of frame so that moves the out of frame.

#3 First reaction: It looks like one of the two people has only one leg

#4 I think with some cropping you could get something out of this one.

#5 Not sure on this one.

As always don't take anything personally and my opinions are not worth anything.

-Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2007

#1 The line of people on the right distract from the main subject. The main subject the person is in front of the sun I would have liked it if the person was on a third point with the sun in the center (or the reverse).
    Agree, i knew i didnt like something about it.

#2 Now there seems to be two main subjects. The one on the right is two close to the edge and seems to be moving out of frame so that moves the out of frame.
    I see it, now that you pointed out, i shall get this guy out of there..

#3 First reaction: It looks like one of the two people has only one leg
    May be she's a flamingo? headscratch.gif

#4 I think with some cropping you could get something out of this one.
    Are you reffering to the right side, being busy with people to close up front?

#5 Not sure on this one.
    Hmmmm

As always don't take anything personally and my opinions are not worth anything.
    Everyone's opinion counts, you learn little bit here and little bit there, then you process it and make best of it.
    Thank you for your input, appreciate the opinion! thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    ShepsMom wrote:
    Everyone's opinion counts, you learn little bit here and little bit there, then you process it and make best of it.
    Thank you for your input, appreciate the opinion! thumb.gif

I'm new here and want to make sure I don't cause insult/injury. This is one of the few places where the tone is light and friendly AND there is good critiques. Other forums the tone is light but no critiques. Its to easy to give a critique that is not intended to be mean and is taken wrong.

-Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    I agree with Philip about the first two images being divided. I think the point of view is great and had the sun been placed at the left end of the people it would have worked very well. Very close but no cigardeal.gif Great lens choise and moodthumb.gif

I think Philip should start charging for his opinionsbowdown.gifrofl
  • Options
    Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    I agree that #4 is the best of the bunch. Why? Because it adheres to the rule of thirds and is a more pleasing composition to my eye. #2 and #3 just seem a bit off.

#1 would be my favorite since, IMHO, it has both the best compo and the most interesting subjects with the bird and such. But unfortunately, it looks to be a touch on the soft side. This could be because the main subject was moving and you didn't have your AF in AI Servo. Don't feel bad though, that happens to everyone now and then.

Hey, ya' live 'n ya' learn, right? :D
    I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2007
    Thank you Nug for your comments. I'm learning as I go, sometimes when you take a picture you don't see anything around but your main subject, i need to start paying attention! deal.gif
    I don't use AF, everything i shoot is manual. Is it bad to do it that way?? I just don't like AF, i'm weird of what?? headscratch.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
  • Options
    Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    No, nothing wrong with that. The only thing is that sometimes you almost NEED AF, especially for fast moving subjects, or for shots that you suddenly see and need to be quick to get.

I shoot everything manually too, EXCEPT for focusing. For that I almost always use AF, except for macro shots. Everything else though -- shutter speed, aperture, ISO -- I always select manually. Everytime.
    I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography