LPS#5 - Another flower shot

FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
edited May 9, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I haven't been very inspired this time around but, as always, am enjoying seeing other people's efforts and entries. As of now, this is the only photograph I am considering. C&C welcome. Thanx.

150836913-L.jpg

Email

Comments

• Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2007
    lps#5
    I love how it's 'glowing' yet there's still detail in the petals. I also like the background too, the darkness sets it off. I think it fits translucent beautifully.

Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    I really like this image too. The dof is great and the soft peach color is really pretty. It definitely says translucent. I'm not really sure about the background. I prefer the rule of thirds typically, but in this case the dead space to the left isn't doing much for me. Perhaps trying a tighter crop?

I've had trouble being inspired by this one too. I've tried several things and am not sure about any of them. At least it's gotten me shooting a bunch of stuff I wouldn't usually have!

Emily
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Thanks Tessa. I was pleased with the detail in the petals too. White flowers are always a challenge. Frankly, though, I'm not sure there is enough "translucent" going on and I can just hear a judge commenting- " Yes, it shows some translucence but to me it says spring flower or glowing, not translucent." rolleyes1.gifYour entry on the other hand shouts translucent. wings.gifYour backlit trees are nice but the tulip is a real contender.

Emily, thanks for the comment on the framing. On my monitor, at least, I see some of the green of the leaves and stalks in the background on the left, which I rather like, but I will play with the photo a bit to see if a crop improves it.

On the inspiration point, I too, have loads of shots taken for challenges and now for LPS that I wouldn't have taken otherwise. Most are not worth keeping, but I have learned much through the process and ever so often there is a keeper. Keep shooting! deal.gif

Virginia

Email
  • Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    lps#5
    You've got the right thinking - you're thinking like a judge! That's a good way to make the top 10!
    (edit: however, that being said, we can't always decipher just how the judges are thinking! I've scratched my head on a few!)
    Tessa
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Thats Funny...
    Flyinggina wrote:
    On the inspiration point, I too, have loads of shots taken for challenges and now for LPS that I wouldn't have taken otherwise. Most are not worth keeping, but I have learned much through the process and ever so often there is a keeper. Keep shooting! deal.gif

Virginia
    Virginia,

Your flower just begins to reach out because of its delicacy.
    Although it has a soft pastel affect, I would like to see the reddish center stand out stronger. With some additional blending on the white leaves, it would then cleverly attain 'more character'.

And yes, the left side leads my eye into darkness with little identity!

As Isaac said, "Thats funny..."
    means to me when I look at these highly competitive images from around our planet, we should question as much and change as much as we can ~ putting emphasis on the right syllables.
    For me, thats traversing blending modes which might add accent to your flower w/o destroying its delicacy.

Have you access to Pixel Genious' PhotoKit Sharpener?

Keep up the challenges!
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
    edited May 9, 2007
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. I downloaded a trial of Photokit Sharpener. I am a little confused, though. Can you clarify? Are you suggesting two improvements to the photo? One to bring out the peachy color (don't see sharpening doing that) and the other to emphasize the texture of the petals? And maybe a third: cropping out some of the left hand side?

Virginia

Email
    edited May 9, 2007
    Another version
    Do you like either of these better than the original post in which the petals were brighter?

#1 - uncropped with some background visible

151186625-L.jpg

#2 cropped with black background

151188878-L.jpg

Thanks for looking. Virginia

Email