U12 Girls Soccer

SteveSamSteveSam Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
edited May 15, 2007 in Sports
I had a chance to get some photos at a game this weekend (with some actual sun!) Had some trouble with the backgrounds and the light that was casting a strong shadow. You can really see it in the 3rd picutre.
150169084-M.jpg

150169681-M.jpg

150168529-M.jpg

Comments

• vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Nice shots Steve. Maybe you could crop a little tighter on #3. Your right it is good to see some warm sun in the north country. Wondering if our daughters have played each other. The SYSC name sounds familier. My daughter plays for the Nordic U11 out of Essex Vt.
  • vt1122vt1122 Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    vt1122 wrote:
    Nice shots Steve. Maybe you could crop a little tighter on #3. Your right it is good to see some warm sun in the north country. Wondering if our daughters have played each other. The SYSC name sounds familier. My daughter plays for the Nordic U11 out of Essex Vt.

I meant tighter crop on #2 Sorry
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    shoot more in portrait orientation. Both shots 1 & 2 have too much dead space. You'll have inherently less dead space when shooting in portrait orientation - think about these shots with more grass on the bottom of the frame vs. the distracting background you have on the sides now.

Are you already shooting with lens wide open? If not, you should be.
  • SteveSamSteveSam Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    johng wrote:
    shoot more in portrait orientation. Both shots 1 & 2 have too much dead space. You'll have inherently less dead space when shooting in portrait orientation - think about these shots with more grass on the bottom of the frame vs. the distracting background you have on the sides now.

Are you already shooting with lens wide open? If not, you should be.
    Thanks for the advice. I have not been very comfortable shooting in portrait mode. I will try it again at the next game. Also, I have typically been in shutter priority with 1/640 shutter speed and ISO of 200 or 400. Should I switch to aperature priority?

I experimented a bit last fall with ISO and shutter speed. I didn't like the results when I went to higher ISO. I also experimented with shutter speed and found that greater than 1/500 was good. Maybe overkill for soccer? My lens is a 70-300 F4-5.6.
    edited May 9, 2007
    vt1122 wrote:
    Our teams probably played at the tournament in Plattsburg (I did not make the game). The team is Saratoga Youth Soccer Club. The pictures in this post are from a game on Sunday against Clifton Park. It was a beautiful day. Sunny, cool, and dry. Great for soccer and pictures.
  • johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    SteveSam wrote:
    Also, I have typically been in shutter priority with 1/640 shutter speed and ISO of 200 or 400. Should I switch to aperature priority?

Absolutely get out of TV mode. Here's the thing about sports like soccer - you want as shallow a dof as you can get (assuming 2.8 or narrower). So, 5.6 is plenty of dof. There's little reason to shoot narrower unless you specifically want a certain shot requiring it.

As for shutter speed, all you care about is maintaining a MINIMUM shutter speed. If the camera, at f5.6 can give you a shutter of 1/1000, then use it.

Personally I prefer manual mode if lighting is constant. But the next best thing is AV mode. The only time I EVER recommend using TV for any type of action is when you WANT motion blur - when you're panning for example or for a special type of shot where you want your subject to show motion.

So, for now - set it in AV mode, open up your aperture all the way and adjust ISO so you consistantly are getting 1/500 or better.
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    Hi Steve,

I agree w/ Johng about shooting in portrait mode. I went that way last year and almost never shoot landscape when shooting soccer any more (w/ some exceptions). In part, it gives you more room to zoom in (what lens were you using?) so you can get closer to the action.

FWIW, I also shoot in AV mode. I've been busy, otherwise I'd show you what I've got (or you can look at my smugmug page, link in my siggy)

you've got some great action and facial expressions there, looking forwards to more...

cheers,

C.
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
    edited May 12, 2007
    Thanks for the encouragement and advice. Weather looks good for tomorrow's game. It will be the U14s this time. I will post the results early in the week.
    edited May 15, 2007
    I got out this week to try some more shots in vertical. I did like the effect. Missed several shots or chopped out some body parts due to the narrow view. I will continue to try vertical. I also opened the aperature wide. Helped a little with the depth of field, but I still have more than I would like. Thanks for the advice.
    152730824-M-1.jpg

152731042-M-1.jpg

152732566-M.jpg

152732783-M.jpg