Dreaming

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
edited February 7, 2005 in People
comments invited (good and bad)

15437190-L.jpg

Comments

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Love the way it is composed but I think there isn't enough contrast between the subjects and the backround..
  • spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Lynn, great shotclap.gif Could you try to darken the background to give some contrast between the faces and the bacjground? Make them become more of a focal point.

see http://super.nova.org/PhotoClass/PhotoClass01_04.html
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    The composition works, you can't beat the subject matter, nice catchlights in the mother's eye, which is especially hard to get in a profile like this. I suppose if we want to be picky about it, we'd rather have the mother's eye in perfect focus than the baby's. But maybe not. All in all, a picture I would be proud to have taken.

As to the background contrast issue, that's probably something that could best handled durig the B&W conversion. Lynn, please, will you give us access to the ORIGINAL color image? I'll bet there is room for technical post improvement in this really really fine image.
    If not now, when?
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    spockling wrote:
    Lynn, great shotclap.gif Could you try to darken the background to give some contrast between the faces and the bacjground? Make them become more of a focal point.

see http://super.nova.org/PhotoClass/PhotoClass01_04.html
    yes.. thanks guys.. I do need to do that.. I was loathe to touch the babies face to change the background .. I'll work on it.. thanks..
    edited February 6, 2005
    Here is another version in color. Rutt I'll load up the original to my smugmug and you can play with it15440493-L.jpg
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Let's start with a credible color version. I used LAB curves to move the flesh tones of the original into the realm of possible and increase the contrast a bit. I don't have Lynn's crop here:

15443253-L.jpg

I don't know, you could still want a B&W converson, but maybe not so much now. I'll work on that next.
    If not now, when?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Lynn, I loved it from the moment I saw it!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • JimFuglestadJimFuglestad Registered Users Posts: 152 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Very nice
    Personally, although there isn't much contrast between faces and the background, I think it's okay if that's how the scene really looked. When I first saw it, it conveyed to me that the mother and child were in a room with a lot of good light coming in... like a sunroom on a bright afternoon. It's as if the warmth of the sun beam helped ease the child to sleep.

The mother's stern look is a bit more confusing to me. I'm not sure if she's exhausted or just daydreaming. I like her expression better in the the color versions.

A great photo with lots of emotion. Nice.

Jim
    Live with intention.
    Walk to the edge.
    Listen hard.
    Pratice wellness.
    Play with abandon.
    Laugh.
    Choose with no regrets.
    Appreciate your friends.
    Continue to learn.
    Do what you love.
    Live as if this is all there is.
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    One thing I noticed is that in the BW version she's looking up and off
    into the distance. In the colored version she's looking at the baby. Wierd.:uhoh
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
    edited February 7, 2005
    Allen wrote:
    into the distance. In the colored version she's looking at the baby. Wierd.:uhoh
    two seperate shots Allen... second one is better I think..:D I get absorbed in working on the first shot I convert from raw and then looking through the rest of them find a better one .. do it all the time.. ne_nau.gif compulsive.rolleyes1.gif
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Allen wrote:
    I thought they were different shots......

lovely shots Lynn... I much prefer the original colour to the adjusted version, its so much warmer, suits the mood clap.gif
  • AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,013 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    two seperate shots Allen... second one is better I think..:D I get absorbed in working on the first shot I convert from raw and then looking through the rest of them find a better one .. do it all the time.. ne_nau.gif compulsive.rolleyes1.gif
    I see that now, my DW pointed it out to merolleyes1.gif. My brains not functioning at 100%, been fightin' a sinus effection. I like the BW but the eyes looking away is distracting.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,009 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    yep
    Allen wrote:
    you are right ,two dif. shots look at the eye lash up in one down in the other .did not see that at first [good eye rolleyes1.gif]Jeff
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Lynn,

the 2nd shot does it for me... It is far better than the first IMO, the picture is 'more defined' if you know what I mean :D

Thanks for sharing!
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • T_S__GarpT_S__Garp Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited February 7, 2005
    Great Improvement!!!!!!!
    I saw the photo posted as a colour shot. Maybe I'm just a fan of B&W but, you've managed to edit the photo to show the beuaty of youth and the mystery of innocense.

Nice work, beutiful shot! :encore
    edited February 7, 2005
    T_S__Garp wrote:
    I saw the photo posted as a colour shot. Maybe I'm just a fan of B&W but, you've managed to edit the photo to show the beuaty of youth and the mystery of innocense.

Nice work, beutiful shot! :encore
    thanks all.. I'm not quite happy with it.. but then.. are we ever?rolleyes1.gif I appreciate your feedback no end. Thanks again.
    edited February 7, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    thanks all.. I'm not quite happy with it.. but then.. are we ever?rolleyes1.gif I appreciate your feedback no end. Thanks again.
    still working with these shots... husband says no.. I'm not sure.. there's something about it I like.. but .. I'd like your thoughts..
    15503996-L.jpg
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    My thoughts:

I like: composition, mood, sharpness/softness, intimacy and crop
    I dislike: the tint, that's all, I don't like the purplish/brownish/pinkish tint...ne_nau.gif I would like to see this one in a duotone with perhaps a tad of green :D

maybe something like this? ne_nau.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
    edited February 7, 2005
    this is a violet/black duotone... maybe it's better..

picture won't load for some reason.. was'nt that good anyway..ne_nau.gif