Options

Dad

Thiago SigristThiago Sigrist Registered Users Posts: 336 Major grins
edited May 13, 2007 in People
Hi again friends!

Caught him during a break, there in the woodworking shop.
Again I thought the light was pretty cool in this one.
And the post-processing for this shot was... different from my usual stuff, to say the least! :wink

Take a look:

491550543_512b34ec43_o.jpg

Thanks for looking!
Take care!

-- thiago

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    Hi Thiago!!!! How are you?

Great light on this! Dad's are very special and often neglected. Print and frame this.

ann
  • Options
    ThinkingManThinkingMan Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2007
    This is a phenomenal shot. The only thing that bugs me is the OOF dust/reflections over his right shoulder. If you get rid of those things it's definitely a wall-hanger.
  • Options
    Ted SzukalskiTed Szukalski Registered Users Posts: 1,079 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    Great light in this photo and yes, it reminds me I have so few photos of my father.
  • Options
    edited May 10, 2007
    Ann McRae wrote:
    Hi Thiago!!!! How are you?

Great light on this! Dad's are very special and often neglected. Print and frame this.

ann

Hi Ann! Everything fine here!
    How about you? Are you doing fine?

My latest thing has been taking these shots, with a 1956-57 Rolleiflex 3.5E medium format camera. Low tech indeed, using film and all! :D

And I'll definitely print it. I have loads of photos from dad, always bugging him with the camera, but this is probably my fave!

Thanks so much for your kind words, Ann!
    Hope you're fine!
    Take care!

This is a phenomenal shot. The only thing that bugs me is the OOF dust/reflections over his right shoulder. If you get rid of those things it's definitely a wall-hanger.

Thanks for your nice comment, man!
    The things you mention are part of my processing... that is, none. I always tweak my photos on Photoshop, but this one I didn't touch, it's exactly as it came from the film scanner.
    But I'll get rid of the distracting thingies and print it big!
    Thanks again!

Great light in this photo and yes, it reminds me I have so few photos of my father.

Thanks again Ted, for your nice words!
    Yeah, it was the light that caught my eye, so I decided to take a quick portrait! :D
    I guess you didn't bug your dad with the camera as much as I do then, eh?

Take care!

-- thiago
  • Options
    Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    Great picture and the lighting is perfect!!!
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    I think this is a GREAT portrait, especially with the background being subtle but distinctive to what he enjoys doing. He should be very proud of you capturing him in such a good way. :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 12, 2007
    thiago-

it's so good you have your dad around to photograph-

and I bet he does not mind all that much your taking pictures of him-

my father passed several years ago-

left me nothing in his will-

but left me the greatest gift I think he could have given me: the love of photography-
  • Options
    edited May 13, 2007
    Cuties02q wrote:
    Great picture and the lighting is perfect!!!

Thanks!
    I'm a big fan of side lighting like this, and I thought it would do great for this portrait of Dad's. So why not give it a shot eh?

schmooo wrote:
    I think this is a GREAT portrait, especially with the background being subtle but distinctive to what he enjoys doing. He should be very proud of you capturing him in such a good way. :D

Wow, thanks a lot Schmoo!
    You grabbed my idea regarding the background... That was exactly my intention, making it dark and out of focus but not too much, so that it would still be recognizeable as the shop where he works.
    Thankfully, he liked the picture a lot as well!

gefillmore wrote:
    thiago-

it's so good you have your dad around to photograph-

and I bet he does not mind all that much your taking pictures of him-

my father passed several years ago-

left me nothing in his will-

but left me the greatest gift I think he could have given me: the love of photography-

Hi George!
    I appreciate your comment a lot!

You're right, it's easy to see I really enjoy taking pictures of my father, and of my whole family actually. And my dad's particularly cool about that, it's easy to get him posing for me and he never complains about candids and all that. Cool fella indeed!

I'm also really glad it was your dad that gave you such a great gift! I wonder how long you'be been shooting... :D

Thanks everybody for the nice comments, and...
    you all take care!

-- thiago