LPS#5 - Dance Silhouettes

pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
edited May 10, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Before anyone jumps and an down - I know that these photos are not in the right date bracket (shot last November 2006), but my daughter is doing a similar dance recital this Saturday night and I would have the opportunity to retake (just hope they have similar lighting conditions - or better). :D

My question is do any of these photos grab you as potentials? and if so which one(s) and why? What could I do to improve them? Lower or higher angle, better composition, etc etc. I know it's a big ask, but as you would have seen from my previous entries in this competition so far I really need this favor! :lust

492506596_fd0b3351a2_o.jpg

492506542_5cdca267d8_o.jpg

492525319_57ebc8495d_o.jpg

492506456_587af963cf_o.jpg

Thank you very much for all and any feedback
"Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
My images | My blog | My free course

Comments

• pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    pemmett wrote:
    Before anyone jumps and an down - I know that these photos are not in the right date bracket (shot last November 2006), but my daughter is doing a similar dance recital this Saturday night and I would have the opportunity to retake (just hope they have similar lighting conditions - or better). :D

My question is do any of these photos grab you as potentials? and if so which one(s) and why? What could I do to improve them? Lower or higher angle, better composition, etc etc. I know it's a big ask, but as you would have seen from my previous entries in this competition so far I really need this favor! iloveyou.gif

I think #2 or #3 would work well. I think #2 needs to be straightened out though.

#3 the grouping is a little weird and red looks better then pink
    #4 is not really a silhouette
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    I think #2 or #3 would work well. I think #2 needs to be straightened out though.

#3 the grouping is a little weird and red looks better then pink
    #4 is not really a silhouette
    Thanks pyroPrints. I agree with your comments. Although my idea of #4 is an inverted silhouette :-)

However, as I'll be needing to shoot them again this Saturday rather than tweak these existing images, is there anything I can do to improve the kind of photos, by changing my position, ensuring the camera is in line with the stage, when I re-take them?

In general does this kind of image have potential or do you think that I should just stick with my existing entry? (or just give up:cry).

Thanks/Peter
  • Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    Peter

I do think there is great potential. The silhouettes are lovely, the curtain may be translucent as well, so there is definite potential.

Try to capture a shot with movement, more like 2 or 3 than 1 which seems very static.

You may not have great control over composition during the performance if you do not know what to expect beforehand, but you should be able to do some creative cropping afterward.

If you are able to get shots from a lower angle such that you are looking up at the dancers, this could be very effective as well.

Good luck!!!

ann
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    If this dance recital is going to involve silhouettes, then you definitely can get some good material from there! thumb.gif Ann had a good suggestion about knowing what to expect beforehand. Maybe attending the dress rehearsal might not be a bad idea.

#2 is nice but I agree about the comment regarding straigtening it. I would also play with the contrast a bit with Levels/Curves.

#3 would also be very nice if you cropped the photo so only the girl on the left remained. So, don't rule out zooming in on a solitary figure when you go reshoot.
  • BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    Teenage Silhouette - Pride & Excitement
    Linda has a good eye; the girl on the left has an unbelievably straight back, proud neck, and outstanding posture. The silhouette seems to emphasize her excitement thru that elegant posture.

Other shots seem busy to me; #1 seems like the kids did not know what to do whereas # 2 seems to have an odds and ends appearance.

Bet your gonna have a ball reliving, then submitting!
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    Honestly... shoot the recital, but I think your current entry is great.
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    Thank you
    pyroPrints, Ann, Linda, Joe, Thank you for your constructive comments and feedback about the images. I'll reshoot and see what I can get, unfortunately I need to look after my youngest daughter so I can't see the dress rehearsal to prepare myself. But I do have a good tripod and lots of memory cards so I think that I'll get something tomorrow night :-)

Thanks again for your time and feedback, it is much appreciated. clap.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    Enjoy the recital!!! :D