100% newbie Introduction and shots

xumariusxumarius Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited May 11, 2007 in Technique
I'm new to the forum and I'm glad I found this forum because I feel there are a lot of resources. Just a little about me and why I have got into photography.

I'm just starting out what will be my long and permanent hobby(career?). When I was growing up my father took a class in photography at a local college just to get credits to graduate. Well he one day left out his old canon and I started to play with it. That is literally my earliest memory I have. I have always wante to get into photography but my mother pressured me to get into Computer Engineering instead because I was alway technichally inclinded (my spelling sux). But well becaue of personal problems and issues I was going through I dropped out of college and moved to miami with $400 in my pocket.

Well after 5 years I have my own home, awsome job, and couldnt be happier. But all during this time I have always kinda (and it really sounds cliche or silly...whatever) longed to just jump into it. Well recently a VP retired after working for 20 years making roughly 100K a year. We used to get along very well. And I asked him why he was retiring after the potential to continue to make money. Well told me he was retiring to pursue a cooking career. I was shocked and asked him why. He said he rather enjoy doing something that he loves than work somewhere he hates. That just gave me the final push I needed.

After that I decided to wonder what would of happened if I would have jumped into photography I going to just do it. Regardless if I fail or am successful I just wan to have fun doing taking pictures and getting better at it and I feel I will find my way.

Here are some pictures I took with my 400D with the lens kit:

My Guitar

guitar.jpg

Rocks at Miami Beach
rocks.jpg
Fence at the Beach
fence.jpg
Lifeguard station
lighthouse.jpg
Miami Beach
beachresized.jpg
A picture I took using my Turtle Lamp for lighting lol
alexlight.jpg

Any comments or suggestions I could use to know how to improve my skills or the pictures I took. My sisters says the last one is horrible. What do you think? :scratch

Comments

• ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Hi there and welcome to dgrin! clap.gif I found your story very inspiring and motivating. You just need to follow your heart and reach out, skies are unlimited to those who is willing!

For your images. I found that you have a good eye for composition, i like all of them! Just one thing, i found them being a little on the softer side, missing a "punch". I, personally, love bold colors, well saturated and sharp photos, but that's just me. You will find your own personal style and work at it to make it better. You will find wealth of information on this site and tons of folks with great advice and willing to help in anyway possible. I hope you'll stick around and post some more. thumb.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • douglasdouglas Registered Users Posts: 696 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Nice story and photos, I really like the guitar shot. You might try a reshoot with the guitar tilted a little more so the strings are parralel with the shadows, i think it would make for a stronger photo. Just a thought.
    Welcome to forum clap.gif
    Best regards,
    douglas