Options

sunrise over the ocean

NikonMamaNikonMama Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited May 12, 2007 in Landscapes
Hi all. I am new to this forum. I enjoy photography very much, but I am really just an advanced beginner. I mostly shoot photos of my kids, but we just got back from Myrtle Beach and I was the first one up in the morning so I sat on our hotel balcony and took some shots of the rising sun. I don't usually take may landscape shots, so I would love some input. This was my favorite shot from that morning.

dsc6284edit-1i5jzbpy.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PetersCreekPetersCreek Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    It's a nice looking sunrise, just like I remember from my short time there back in '86. For input, I'd suggest getting some foreground interest in the shot. My first thought was to get your tail off the balcony! :D I seem to remember Myrtle Beach having a fair population of sea oats and other interesting stuff on the beaches...at least they did way back when. Get down there and have some fun.

Oh...and welcome.
  • Options
    AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2007
    I actually thought your composition was spot on in this shot. It really features the rising sun and sets into perspective with the use of the beach in the foreground without too much to distract from the sunrise. The thirds rule has pretty much been adhered to and the colours are fabulous. I see where peter is coming from but I like the high perspective, a view not everyone has the oportunity to see unless they are staying in the buildings. Another shot from beach level would also be good but that doesn't mean this one is better or worse, it stands on its own as a good photo. You have a good eye for composition, keep shooting.
  • Options
    NikonMamaNikonMama Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 11, 2007
    It's a nice looking sunrise, just like I remember from my short time there back in '86. For input, I'd suggest getting some foreground interest in the shot. My first thought was to get your tail off the balcony! :D I seem to remember Myrtle Beach having a fair population of sea oats and other interesting stuff on the beaches...at least they did way back when. Get down there and have some fun.

Oh...and welcome.

Thanks for the input. I would have loved to have gotten down on the beach for a different perspective, but with small kids and a husband still sleeping......I didn't want to risk waking anyone up that early ;) Next time we go back I would LOVE to be able to get down on the beach before sunrise.....
  • Options
    Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007
    I agree with Ralph about the compositionthumb.gif However, I think this scene lacks a interesting subject in addition to the sunset. I usually look at the sun, either setting or rising as a backdrop rather than the subject. This has helped me during moments when I am so very captivated by the beauty of it all that I loose track of taking a great photo.

I hope we get to see more of your imagesdeal.gif
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited May 12, 2007