A Few From Hippyville Today

dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
edited February 7, 2005 in Landscapes
I've been shooting a lot of landscapes lately, so I decided to do a little street photography today. These pictures were all taken in the Haight & Ashbury District of San Francisco.

In post processing, I applied a lomo action to help give a different feel.

I spent a little time inside the shops while my girlfriend did her thing. One place has some very strange shoes. I'm not sure how anyone could wear them.

15454692-L.jpg

Some just looked like weapons.

15456728-L.jpg

There is a lot of construction going on these days. Everything will get a fresh coat of paint when they are done. This one is just waiting its turn.

15454694-L.jpg

As always, there were the beggers. It seems that they are getting younger and younger. It's a shame, but a fact of life here in the city.

15454697-L.jpg

When were were done shopping, it was time to find some food and a drink. It looks like this one gets more active as the sun goes down.

15454700-L.jpg

While this one is open all hours.

15456745-L.jpg

I hope you enjoyed the pictures.
Dave

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    thumb.gifthumb.gif

great set, dave!
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Lomo Action?
    dkapp wrote:
    In post processing, I applied a lomo action to help give a different feel.

Dave

Where do I get one? I love the vibrant "in your face" graphic effect!

We went to Crissy Field late afternoon, beautiful sky, did you catch it?
  • dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Dee wrote:
    Where do I get one? I love the vibrant "in your face" graphic effect!

We went to Crissy Field late afternoon, beautiful sky, did you catch it?

I missed the sunset & most of the good weather today. I spent most of the day running around w/ the gf, then back home to watch the game, or should I say commercials.

My cars lease just came up this weekend, so I had to turn it in. Now I'm at the mercy of Muni & my gf's schedule. This should be interesting...maybe a vespa is in my future :D

Dave
  • Jeremy HallJeremy Hall Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    A little hint?
    Could you describe your "lomo action?" I consider myself pretty versed in PS, played around and could arrive at your contrast and colors with some of my photos a few different ways. Just curious on your basic methodology. Thanks for any tips. Love the photos - subject, composition, post-processing.
  • obelixobelix Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Hey, unfair, we were supposed to go to Haight & Ashbury together :(

What is a lobo action?

The first shot, hmm, hmm.
    dkapp wrote:
    I've been shooting a lot of landscapes lately, so I decided to do a little street photography today. These pictures were all taken in the Haight & Ashbury District of San Francisco.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Thats a great set dave....really nice colours thumb.gif
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    I like them a lot Dave,

Fantastic colors and a nice effect.

I think the compositions would have stood on their own with standard post.

Nice set.
    edited February 6, 2005
    Could you describe your "lomo action?" I consider myself pretty versed in PS, played around and could arrive at your contrast and colors with some of my photos a few different ways. Just curious on your basic methodology. Thanks for any tips. Love the photos - subject, composition, post-processing.

The 1st & 4th picture were processed normally, while the others I gave full treatment.

The lomo action adjusts the color, saturation & contrast in many levels & uses different blending options to create the saturated, burnt, dodged, blown out looks. It's taken me a long time to get my technique & workflow on this.

If I get some free time, I'll put together a tutorial...better yet, I should combine all the basic lomo actions I have into one monster that actually works. Right now I'm running multiple, then doing my own adjustments to get what I need. Not a simple workflow & more time consuming than it should be.

Dave
    edited February 6, 2005
    obelix wrote:
    Hey, unfair, we were supposed to go to Haight & Ashbury together :(

What is a lobo action?

The first shot, hmm, hmm.

I know...we should have got together today. It looks like we were both downtown :D

The lomo action is actually an effort, sometime poor execution to get digital files to look like the classic lomo camera images.

Dave
    edited February 6, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Thats a great set dave....really nice colours thumb.gif

Thanks Gus! Hows the Nikon vs. Canon thing going?
    edited February 6, 2005
    GREAPER wrote:
    I like them a lot Dave,

Fantastic colors and a nice effect.

I think the compositions would have stood on their own with standard post.

Nice set.

Thanks Greaps. I processed these both normally, and decided to do something fun. I just had a wild hair today & needed to get out of my rut.

I've had a creative block from hell the last two weeks. I think I was just trying to hard to make things happen.

Dave
  • fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    Really unique stuff, dave. nice!
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Thanks Gus! Hows the Nikon vs. Canon thing going?
    like a mad womans custard mate
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited February 6, 2005
    I like the first few images a lot - The use of strong primary colors reminds me of some of Jay Maisal's work. Nicely done, Dave!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Jeremy HallJeremy Hall Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Figured
    I figured it wasn't a quick, one or two step thing. But, often times quality and uniqueness requires a little more than the every day guy is willing to do. I would love to see a primer on some of your steps to get there. Love the look.
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Cool set Daveclap.gif
    See those "weapon boots", I went to a friends wedding where the bride and groom were both wearing those.... Bridesmaids had blue hair and silver dresses too, they looked like the girls from space 1999 or UFO (Gerry Anderson shows of the 70's)
    edited February 7, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    I like the first few images a lot - The use of strong primary colors reminds me of some of Jay Maisal's work. Nicely done, Dave!

Thanks Pathfinder. I was actually out trying to get some ideas for the next challenge. Stupid me realized when I got home it wasn't primary colors this challenge, but Predominant Colors. haha

I knew I should have wrote it down.
    edited February 7, 2005
    I figured it wasn't a quick, one or two step thing. But, often times quality and uniqueness requires a little more than the every day guy is willing to do. I would love to see a primer on some of your steps to get there. Love the look.

Give me a couple days & I'll see what I can get to you. I'm swamped the first part of the week.

Dave
    edited February 7, 2005
    gubbs wrote:
    Cool set Daveclap.gif
    See those "weapon boots", I went to a friends wedding where the bride and groom were both wearing those.... Bridesmaids had blue hair and silver dresses too, they looked like the girls from space 1999 or UFO (Gerry Anderson shows of the 70's)

I bet that was a show. I had a few "goth" friends back home. They would love it out here.

Was the wedding fun? I would imagine they had a pretty good reception.

Dave
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Those are all excellent. Great technique there with the post Dave. I'm not going to ask you how-to because I don't want to copy you but, yeah, those are refreshingly different...
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    These made me check your galleries. And you photoblog. Color me impressed. clap.gif
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited February 7, 2005
    damonff wrote:
    Those are all excellent. Great technique there with the post Dave. I'm not going to ask you how-to because I don't want to copy you but, yeah, those are refreshingly different...

Thanks Damon. It felt great to break the landscape scene and start shooting for myself again. It was the most fun I've had with photography in weeks.

Dave
    edited February 7, 2005
    marlof wrote:
    These made me check your galleries. And you photoblog. Color me impressed. clap.gif

Thanks marlof. I appreciate the kind words :D

I can't wait to get the film back from yesterdays outing for comparison.

Dave
  • Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    I love the abstract look Dave, absolutely stunning, I can imagine it can look 'overdone' but I think you've taken the right pictures and right amount of post processing :encore
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Groovy shots Dave:D
    And you post processing is far outthumb.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 7, 2005
    Thanks for taking us along with you. That action gives a cool effect thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,935 moderator
    edited February 7, 2005
    Dave,

Very San Francisco. By that, I also mean very cool.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited February 7, 2005
    I love the abstract look Dave, absolutely stunning, I can imagine it can look 'overdone' but I think you've taken the right pictures and right amount of post processing :encore

Thanks Michiel! I appreciate the kind words. :D

Dave
    edited February 7, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    Groovy shots Dave:D
    And you post processing is far outthumb.gif

Thank you MHJS. I'm glad my process is getting good reviews. I didn't know what to expect when I put it up there :D

Dave
    edited February 7, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Thanks for taking us along with you. That action gives a cool effect thumb.gif

Thanks DR!

I'm trying to figure out how Fred Miranda puts his together. I'd like to get my action ready for prime time :D

Dave