Options

Fireball, Min Min lights or spooks??

AussierooAussieroo Registered Users Posts: 234 Major grins
edited May 14, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
These three photos I shot tonight are as the came off the camera and in themselves are not meant to impress with their quality etc. However my question is how is it this "fireball" wasn't there one second appeared the next and moved to the bottom of the tree on the next? As you can see in the first shot there are no gaps between the distant trees and the light is defined into the shape of a ball and definately moved in the 3rd shot. The brightness rules out refractions in the dust that a recent truck had kicked up, so what is it? Have I been "Visited??

Fireball2.jpg

Fireball1.jpg

Fireball.jpg

Comments

• Options
    destesdestes Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Your composition looks just a bit different in each one, are you handholding? To me it looks like just a lens flare that has moved as your camera moved. headscratch.gif
    Dale

Canon 30d
    EF 28-105mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM II
    EF 100-300mm 1:4.5-5.6 USM
    Speedlight 380EX
    Sekonic L-28c2 Studio Deluxe

http://photography.daleestes.com
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    15524779-Ti.gif The flare looks mottled because it's coming through the leaves on the trees in the background.
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2007
    Aussieroo wrote:
    These three photos I shot tonight are as the came off the camera and in themselves are not meant to impress with their quality etc. However my question is how is it this "fireball" wasn't there one second appeared the next and moved to the bottom of the tree on the next? As you can see in the first shot there are no gaps between the distant trees and the light is defined into the shape of a ball and definately moved in the 3rd shot. The brightness rules out refractions in the dust that a recent truck had kicked up, so what is it? Have I been "Visited??

It's lens flair :D .... maybe you didn't move but the sun was continually moving.

Looks like Gum leaf reflections within the flair itself as the sun moved down lower in the sky.

So yes you have have been visited by a Sun Flair :D .... Skippy
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2007
    thumb.gif
    Thanks Skippy. I knew that!!eek7.gif But it makes for a good story while it lasted. Never had one that had a defined pattern to it before and maybe I did move slichtly to get a better angle I am not sure but it is fun. I had a friend do a reowrk on the last one putting my face in the "fireball" like the batman light! Thanks for your comments.
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited May 14, 2007
    Lens flare. Bah! You're all wrong. It is clearly a Forest Spirit Orb. The low angle of sunlight only helped to make it more visible as it traveled across the scene.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Lens flare. Bah! You're all wrong. It is clearly a Forest Spirit Orb. The low angle of sunlight only helped to make it more visible as it traveled across the scene.

See I know it wasn't lens flare. With over 3000 posting, David's the man, he would know. Thanks mate, I feel vindicatedrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,186 moderator
    edited May 14, 2007
    Aussieroo wrote:
    See I know it wasn't lens flare. With over 3000 posting, David's the man, he would know. Thanks mate, I feel vindicatedrolleyes1.gif

Glad I could help. The mistake most people make is to have the focus set on the subject; in your case those trees in the background. Had the focus been set only halfway out, you probably could have clearly got a shot of the ever-shifting face (or sometimes faces :wow ) on the orb's surface.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Glad I could help. The mistake most people make is to have the focus set on the subject; in your case those trees in the background. Had the focus been set only halfway out, you probably could have clearly got a shot of the ever-shifting face (or sometimes faces :wow ) on the orb's surface.

You are right you knw, I had some one do a rework and bring out the detail on a small forum I run at
    http://www.dpdforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=103
    amazing what S can bring out of the details. Need to scroll to the last pic on the page!
  • Options
    edited May 14, 2007
    seems I chopped a 1 off the link in my last posting. Sorry about that. this is what it should have been

http://www.dpdforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1031