Winterlude 2005 ottawa canada

MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
edited February 9, 2005 in Landscapes
One of the few things to look forward to winter here in ottawa, canada is winterlude. For this years opeing weekend, the unseasonably warm temps brought out big crowds.

winterlude20051s2ni.jpg

It was wall to wall people...

winterlude20052s6mc.jpg

Comments

• MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    And of course a post just isn't a post, without some food! thumb.gif

mapletaffy3s2de.jpg

Yum yum fresh maple syrop taffy!

winterlude20053s2yq.jpg
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:
    One of the few things to look forward to winter here in ottawa, canada is winterlude. For this years opeing weekend, the unseasonably warm temps brought out big crowds.

winterlude20052s6mc.jpg

whoa i like this one a lot, aj - really - clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    edited February 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    whoa i like this one a lot, aj - really - clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Thanks Andy and one of these years you MUST make it up here for winterlude. There is so much going on throughout the city there is literally something for everyone.

AJ
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    winterlude20052s6mc.jpg

Great shot, what colours, contrasts and patterns clap.gifclap

Oh and what's a taffy?
    edited February 7, 2005
    gubbs wrote:

Great shot, what colours, contrasts and patterns clap.gifclap

Oh and what's a taffy?
    Thanks! Maple taffy is a sweet candy made from maple syrop, which has been boiled, then placed over fresh clean snow. It then quickly hardens into a candy. Yummy! thumb.gif

AJ
  • GerryDavidGerryDavid Registered Users Posts: 439 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:
    Thanks! Maple taffy is a sweet candy made from maple syrop, which has been boiled, then placed over fresh clean snow. It then quickly hardens into a candy. Yummy! thumb.gif

AJ
    Ive never seen maple taffy on the canal. How could you not get any pictures of beaver tails? :0)

I was tempted to go to the Keisha shantee or how ever you spell her name when she performed on/near the canal a couple of weeks ago but didnt go. And I was almost there last Thursday but then I realized I had no idea how close the canal was to the parking spots I know of, hehe.

Cool pictures. :0)
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:

Our Winter Carnival had very warm temps for this time of year also.

Nice pics.

dave.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    MuskyDude wrote:

winterlude20052s6mc.jpg

This one really stands out. I like it.
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2005
    Cabane à sucre
    Nice shots AJthumb.gif I've visited Ottawa only in the spring and summer. Ran the Capital City Marathon & Half Marathon with all the tulips! Looking forward to seeing some of your shots during MAy when the flowers are in bloom.

And for those wondering about the Maple sugar treat, it actually comes from our French Canadian heritage here in Canada and is called "cabane à sucre". My better half is from Montreal and we have enjoyed this treat every year.

Brad
    edited February 7, 2005
    Are you sure the maple taffy thing is french canadian? I assumed it would be a native canadian thing, since they were the ones that showed us the maple syrup in the first place. Im not sure if they boiled it down like we do now, but they would have had to tried it on snow at one point, hehe.
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    GerryDavid wrote:
    Are you sure the maple taffy thing is french canadian? I assumed it would be a native canadian thing, since they were the ones that showed us the maple syrup in the first place.
    I guess it's very possible that it's originally a First Nations thing, but I won't try to argue that fine point with my inlaws. :D Regardless of where it first originated, it is certainly part of the French culture!

For an english speaking WASP from Edmonton, all I know is that it tastes great!rolleyes1.gif
    edited February 8, 2005
    Im not a big fan of taffy, but I do love maple syrup candies. You can usually get it for $1.50 for a large one at a pancake house that has thier own sugar bush. Yummy. Now I want some.
    edited February 9, 2005
    Well, winterlude is waterlude so far. :cry
    But mother nature is kicking in and its cold out today (-5 C)!clap.gif

But the long term forcast is warmer temps again. :cry

But until then it should be cold enough for the snow sculpters and ice carvers to get busy (and photgs to get night shots)! clap.gif

AJ :D
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    I agree, the second shot really tells the story - great composition. Thanks for show me something I knew nothing about.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited February 9, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    I agree, the second shot really tells the story - great composition. Thanks for show me something I knew nothing about.
    Thank YOU! and you're welcome!

AJ
  • obelixobelix Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    This is very nice. Thanks for sharing.
    MuskyDude wrote:

winterlude20052s6mc.jpg
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2005
    Aj
    These are great shots good workclap.gif

Thanks
    Fred